Killing Bugs in Islam

• Filed under: Islam
  • Date: Jun 16,2006 | 10:39 PM

Abu Hurayra related that, “The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) forbade making animals suffer.” [Bukhari]

The Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, ” Do not harm the creation of Allah.” [Abu Dawud, from al-Ma`rur ibn Suwayd. Imam Jamal al-Din al-Zayla`i declared it to be a rigorously authenticated (sahih) hadith in Nasb al-Raya.]

Ibn Hajar al-Haytami (Allah have mercy on him) mentions in his work on the major sins, al-Zawajir, that the scholars have explicitly stated that causing animals undue harm, such as hitting them painfully, without a sound reason is a major sin (kabira). [Ibn Hajar al-Haytami, al-Zawajir `an Iqtiraf al-Kaba'ir, 2.140]

Damn Fly!

So basically, don’t kill bugs unless it is necessary. What constitutes the necessity of killings bus? I have no idea. Personally, I have come to a point in my life where I don’t really care what the spider, fly, bee or any type of bug/insect is doing as long as it’s not crawling on me. If it’s crawling on me then, inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon (from Allah we came and unto Him we shall return).

• 22 Responses for "Killing Bugs in Islam"

1. Rajha June 16th, 2006 at 10:58 pm

“If it’s crawling on me then, inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon”

haha

2. Bliss June 17th, 2006 at 12:52 am

OH but beware of evil salamanders (dont kill em. just beware)

: /

good post MR, i just escorted a spider out the main door last night. (and i shall continue to do so)

3. Sulayman F June 17th, 2006 at 5:13 am

Interesting, I always wondered if that meant I could kill ants in my home

4. aisyah June 17th, 2006 at 6:58 am

Salaam.

thank you.

p/s: you got my vote for the ‘don’t kill bugs’ thingy :)

5. elefantebianco June 17th, 2006 at 11:57 am

salaamsinteresting post…i came across this really interetesting dua if you read it three times in the morning and evening you are protected from insect stings…

its the arabic version of this:

I take refuge in Allaah’s perfect words from the evil He has created.’ (three times)

masha’Allah the mercy of Allah swt and the beauty of islam for which a dua can protect you from insect bites…

6. Mujahideen Ryder June 17th, 2006 at 2:50 pm

aisyah on June 17, 2006 at 6:58 am said:

Salaam.

thank you.

p/s: you got my vote for the ‘don’t kill bugs’ thingy :)

iz all good :-D

7. cevriye June 17th, 2006 at 3:11 pm

I am scard of spiders, they are also creatures of Allah (SWT), but the hell for me. Once one was crawling on me a big one- it was night. I killed her of course, was not thinking of her- till now. Thanks Mujahideen, I am being racked by remose.

8. Imtiaz June 17th, 2006 at 10:39 pm

This reminds me of something…

ever heard of the thing where if a line of ants is walking toward you gonna die?

9. Milkshaykh June 17th, 2006 at 11:22 pm

“inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon”

That’s great man HAHAHA!!! It’s so true!!! I feel the same way!

10. Azeem June 18th, 2006 at 12:04 am

I believe you are allowed to do away with rodents and pests…

There is a hadith which says “if you see a dog kill it.”

heh.. the proper context was in reference to a rabid dog which is considered dangerous.

11. Ahsan June 19th, 2006 at 1:03 am

AA,
      A moth got hit with a news paper. It was barely alive and i think i could only move one leg. I threw it in the garbage. If only I knew this before.

yo but seriously, I dont want cockroaches swarming in my house, making everything ganda! Its either us or them!

12. Abdul Muhaimin June 19th, 2006 at 9:18 am

i hear pests are permissable though

13. irn_bru June 19th, 2006 at 1:08 pm

If it’s a pest, and spreads germs…. For example, that bee that has just come in the kitchen, it may have been on something disgusting before it came in so maybe….

I’ve heard that there’s a hadith saying not to kill ants because they live in communities, I think it was that anyway. And I don’t think we’re allowed to kill spiders either. Not sure why for spiders.

Next time you get the urge to kill a spider, remember that it was the spider that helped our Prophet (saw) when he was in the cave.

14. Mujahideen Ryder June 19th, 2006 at 4:06 pm

what if your outside and you want to kill the bug?

i wonder if that is permissible

15. owais memon June 19th, 2006 at 6:10 pm

As salaamu alekum.

Try to swipe it away first, if it is going to harm you, then its permissible to kill it.

Spiders are haraam to kill because the Prophet(saw) said so.

All animals are in dhikr of Allah, if we think about that, its really effective. Also, I believe its a hadith: The birds in the sky and fish in the sea and creatures on earth are all in dua for the seeker of Knowledge, because they all benefit from that Muslim’s knowledge insha Allah. So lets keep that in mind, and insha Allah we’ll be able to be cautious for our friends in dhikr!
      I’m sorry for my lack in searching for hadith, I’ll try to look more into it insha Allah.
      Walekum as salaam

16. AtheistPaki June 27th, 2006 at 9:56 am

I would kill them, period. Although Mohamed made a pretty decent point.

17. sobia April 7th, 2008 at 12:23 am

when i was younger i learned a story (not sure if it’s a hadith since i’ve never heard it) about how the prophet(saw) was running away from people that were trying to harm him, he ran into a cave and a spider made a web over the entrance. the people running after him decided since a man giong into the cave would have broken the web upon entering, he couldn’t be in the cave then. now i have no idea whether this is true or not, but this is pretty much why someone taught me that u’re not supposed to kill spiders. but i haven’t been able to trace it back or find anything claiming it’s validity.

enjoy salam :)

18. Halimah March 7th, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Masha Allah I was bitten by a spider once and it was very bad i had to have sugery now everytime i see one i’m afraid and i kill them now Im frighten about whether Allah(swt) will punish me.I’m scared to death of spiders.what should I do? As-salaamu-alaikum

19. David March 7th, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Interpreting holy books leads to taking risks. ;)

Might as well squash a menacing bug if there is any doubt. Accuse them for being invaders. Not all invaders believe they are invading.

Or scoop the mound of cockroaches and dump them somewhere safe. ;)

20. Mohammad April 17th, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Salam,

It is not haram. and we shouldn’t make those judgments. those are only for scholars of islam. You are allowed to kill bugs insects etc if they pose a harm to you. use insectiside. thats what i heard on website that quoted a fatwa. you can always kindly put them outside.

Salam.

21. The Ghazzali Blogger April 18th, 2009 at 7:05 am

So we cant kill roaches I guess…

22. Mohammed Khan April 18th, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Well a roach is a pest that spreads germs…