World Cup Recap – June 16 to June 19

• Filed under: Football
  • Date: Jun 19,2006 | 05:51 PM

finalscores - june 16 - 19.jpgThe past 3 days have been full with 6 shut-out matches, 3 draws and some amazing games. It started out with Argentina thrashing Serbia and Montengro 6 – 0. I missed the game, but watching the videos of the goal made me sad that I missed it. Argentina will move on the 2nd stage.
Ivory Coast gave the Netherlands a scare when they scored 1 after there 2 goals all in the first half, but they were both scoreless in the second half giving Netherlands the win. The Netherlands will move on to the 2nd stage.

A shocking game between Mexico and Angola ends up with a draw, allowing Angola to receive it’s first point ever in World Cup history. The Mexican won’t be having burritos for lunch until they win the next match. Haha.

Portugal beat Iran, allowing them to move on to the 2nd stage. Nothing special there.

Probably, the most disappointing game to me personally was the draw between Italy and the USA 1 – 1. I wanted to cry after the game (I didn’t, relax). I really wanted Italy to win, but they played horrible and the US fouled them like crazy too. Three red cards were given out and countless yellows. In the end the US was playing with 9 men and Italy with 10 men. It was a very weird game and ended in a depressing way.

The game that made up for Italy’s draw with the USA was Ghana’s surprising victory over the Czech Republic. I was rooting for the Czech’s because Ghana winning this gives the USA a chance to move on to the 2nd stage. Ghana had more shots and more posession of the ball then Czech Republic. Ghana better play even better against the US, InshaAllah.

Brasil finally stepped up in the end of the 2nd half of there game against Australia and won the match 2 – 0. They still need to play better and Ronaldinho needs to score some goals. Ronaldo should stop starting and Robino should start. Is it just me or that guy Emerson looks like an uncle? Brasil will be moving on to the 2nd stage.
Japan and Croatia fought a well played game and the final outcome was a 0 – 0 draw. This draw puts Japan in a bad position with only 1 point and there last game is against Brasil, which they need to win or else they will be eliminated. Too bad, Brasil will win that.

France’s 2nd game ended in another draw 1 – 1 with Korea Republic. France thought they won it scoring in the 9th minute, but it wasn’t until the 81st minute that Korea upset them and changed the whole game around. Honestly, France isn’t playing well at all. They are not going that far in the World Cup.

Switzerland easily took care of Togo winning 2 – 0.

Tunisia thought they had this game at the half when they were up 1 – 0, scoring in the 8th minute. The 2nd half of the game was all about Spain. They scored 3 goals: 71st, 76th and 91st (stoppage time – penalty) all in the 2nd half. This win gurantees Spain’s spot in the 2nd stage.

Saudi Arabia was owned by Ukrain 4 – 0. Saudi Arabia still has a chance, if they win the next game and Ukrain loses there next game, but that is highly unlikely. Looks like all that oil money didn’t help them at all.

• 9 Responses for "World Cup Recap – June 16 to June 19"

1. nisa June 19th, 2006 at 6:40 pm

Hey MR – Salaams!

Why do men love soccer? Can you ask a man for me? Kidding. Seriously, can you tell me what’s up?

2. Mujahideen Ryder June 19th, 2006 at 8:15 pm

nisa on June 19, 2006 at 6:40 pm said:

Hey MR – Salaams!

Please check out World Cup 2006 Commericials and you will find out why.

3. Yaser June 19th, 2006 at 9:06 pm

I watched that Tunisia game, I thought Tunisia played an awesome game, but Spain was dominating the whole game, it was only a matter of time before the Tunisian defense broke. I had predicted Saudi & Spain to advance, but scratch that, Id prefer if Tunisia advanced, they got mad spirit and play a fast game, mad fun to watch.

4. Milkshaykh June 19th, 2006 at 9:13 pm

It’s not you who thinks that Emerson looks like an uncle. Even a commentator said “Emerson’s only 30 but looks much older”.

The Saudia game was devastating! They are done, Spain and Ukraine will move on in Group H.

5. Rashad June 19th, 2006 at 10:44 pm

MR, don’t let politics get in the way of soccer; the Americans earned that draw with a gutsy performance against a superior opponent. Both they and Ghana will be missing top players due to suspension, but I think the Africans will win. They looked really good against the Czechs. The Saudis are a joke. They change coaches every two months and expect to build a successful team! I’m sad to see Ivory Coast going home: they were fun to watch.

Argentina and Spain are looking very good right now… they have to be the favorites going into the second round.

6. Bliss June 20th, 2006 at 2:45 am

Saudi Arabia vs Ukraine.. was a sad, sad game indeed. And the fact that i woke up to watch it..was even more sad.

damn you wet grass.

7. Mujahideen Ryder June 20th, 2006 at 9:01 am

Rashad on June 19, 2006 at 10:44 pm said:

What you mean politics?

8. Rashad June 21st, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Mujahideen Ryder on June 20, 2006 at 9:01 am said:

What you mean politics?

I thought you were too harsh on the US team. They did what they had to against Italy and I was glad they drew. Italy play such boring soccer, I’d like to see them struggle (or play more with more offense).

9. Mujahideen Ryder June 21st, 2006 at 9:09 pm

Rashad on June 21, 2006 at 6:39 pm said:

It was more of ESPN politics. All the ESPN commentators talk about is the US team for every single match. It get’s really annoying, I wish they just broadcasted British coverage of the games.