What did Materazzi say to Zidane?

• Filed under: Football, News
  • Date: Jul 10,2006 | 08:49 AM

I will update this post with all the latest news to find out exactly what was said. Here are some excerpts from various news agencies:

An expert lip-reader said:

First defender Marco Materazzi spoke in Italian – a language understood by Zidane who once played for Italian side Juventus – grabbed his opponent and told him “hold on, wait, that one’s not for a n***** like you.” But she (lip-reader) saw that as the players walked forward Materazzi said: “We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore.” Then, just before the headbutt, he was seen saying,: “So just f*** off.”
Source: Revealed: The disgusting abuse that sparked Zidane’s fury

Materazzi denies “terrorist” remark:

“It was the kind of insult you will hear dozens of times and just slips out of the ground. I didn’t call Zidane a terrorist and certainly didn’t mention his mother. I am ignorant, I don’t even know what an Islamic terrorist is; my only terrorist is her (pointing to his 10-month-old daughter). I did not bring up Zidane’s mother; for me a mother is sacred. I held his shirt, for only a few seconds. He turned towards me and scoffed at me, looking at me with super arrogance, up and down. He said ‘if you really want my shirt, you can have it later.’ It’s true, I shot back with an insult.”
Source: Materazzi denies terrorist insult

Materazzi told his agent:

He said it began when Materazzi grabbed the Frenchman’s shirt, pinching his nipple. “If you want my shirt so much, then you can f…… have it after the game” Zidane supposedly said. “I’d rather have the shirt off your woman,” Materazzi responded, a reference to Zidane’s wife Veronique.
Source: Insult was to Zidane’s wife

Portuguese News said (translation):

“According to Brazilian TV Rede Globo, a lip-reader claimed that Materazzi twice called Zidane’s sister a prostitute.”
Source: Leitura labial acusa ofensa de Materazzi à irmã de Zizou

Another Italian lip-reader said:

Materazzi said, “I wish an ugly death to you and all your family,” and then told Zidane to “go f*** yourself”.
Source: Lip-reader reveals what riled Zidane

Zidane’s agent, Alain Migliaccio, said:

“He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn’t tell me what. I don’t know, Zinedine didn’t want to talk about it but he will talk about it in the next couple of days. He was very disappointed and sad. He didn’t want it to end this way.”
Source: Zidane Blamed Materazzi Comment

The Italian coach, Lippi said

“You will realise it was not Materazzi who got the attention of the referee. It was the fourth and fifth officials looking at the video at the edge of the pitch. We did not do anything. They saw it and they called the attention of the referee.” Lippi refused to elaborate on what – if anything – Materazzi had muttered under his breath but he did add cryptically: “Tomorrow the French people will know the truth about Zidane. Materazzi was not acting. He took a blow and he was hurt.”
Source: Guardian Unlimited

The Father of Marco Materazzi, Giuseppe Materazzi said this:

“”I spoke to my son briefly after the game, Marco had told me he had been provoked. It’s as though they have something against him, each time. In the past two years, Marco has only been on the receiving end and the injuries he has sustained are proof of this. I don’t want to be controversial, but there are things that have to be said instead of just pointing the finger and putting a black mark against someone.”
Source: Father stands by Materazzi

• 47 Responses for "What did Materazzi say to Zidane?"

1. Radeyah July 10th, 2006 at 9:49 am

link

Check this out..apparently Materazzi greatly offened zidane’s mother. The comment was so terrible he was apparentl excused for his action by FIFA. Again, I don’t condone Zidane’s action, but i can see where is came from if this is true.

2. mujahideenryder July 10th, 2006 at 9:56 am

Radeyah on July 10, 2006 at 9:49 am said:

link

That doesn’t say anything about Materazzi insulting his mother.

3. Faiza July 10th, 2006 at 10:01 am

Well of course Materazzi must have said something really bad since Zidane acted like that (not that it justifies anything). But why are you guys so curious? It’s past…

4. Radeyah July 10th, 2006 at 10:02 am

it says “Sources in France say it is believed that Materazzi insulted his mother” Your right it doesn’t say it definitively, but anyways we will know what happened in a few days, according to Zidane’s agent.

5. Radeyah July 10th, 2006 at 10:04 am

btw i read it wrong..he wasn’t excused and he shouldn’t be for his action. I should really go study for my MCAT in august, this is getting ridiculous!

6. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 10:06 am

Faiza on July 10, 2006 at 10:01 am said:

I like beef. Beef tastes good.

😀 hahaha

7. iftitah July 10th, 2006 at 10:14 am

i was googling for zidane header and accidentally found your site.

what i found forwarded by my friend to my messenger was that materazzi have insulted zidane by calling him a terrorist. i can’t verify this.

but as a muslim, i can understand one’s feeling if somebody insult him like that.

in zidane case, something big had happened in that game. i admire zidane not only because he is a muslim, but because he had a great personality. to a man like that, who have a really great attitude, it surely take a lot to make him explode in the world biggest tournament.

it is not fair to just blame zidane for what he did.

8. Faiza July 10th, 2006 at 10:15 am

Mujahideen Ryder on July 10, 2006 at 10:06 am said:

I like beef. Beef tastes good.

😀 hahaha

What? :s Umm… Beef? I prefer chicken. *puzzled*

9. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 10:18 am

Faiza on July 10, 2006 at 10:15 am said:

What? :s Umm… Beef? I prefer chicken. *puzzled*

LOL, chicken is good too!

listen to this song: Talib Kweli – What’s beef?

you will learn what is beef and what i mean when i say beef

10. Sheraz July 10th, 2006 at 10:28 am

I repeat what I wrote :

Zinédine zidane said to Materazzi that he had encircled him, preventing him from playing the balloon. Then Zidane goes away and continues his road but Materazzi continued to speak and he offended his mother in a vulgar way. Materazzi also held racist comments on his origins. That is why, while he went away, he returned abruptly and struck Materazzi.
      During almost 2 hours, during all the match Materazzi launched difficult words to Zidane (psychological warfare in the Italian manner to irritate the player).

I don’t excuse gesture’s Zidane but I explain it. Frankly, many people would do same thing because the Mama it is sacred. World cup or not World cup.

It is not Zidane who revealed but one of his family’s friends.

11. Sheraz July 10th, 2006 at 10:29 am

Read my comments on “Zidane not the man”

ZIDANE IS REALLY THE MAN

12. angel July 10th, 2006 at 10:33 am

Well at this point im sure MILLIONS are more that curious to know what had happened!(or rather what Materazzi said to Zidane)… the publicity outcome of Zidane’s actions has without a doubt replaced Italys Win!! well atleast for me hehe…

Chicken all the way…beef:S

LS – Saudi Arabia

13. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 10:33 am

Can you explain why he stomped the Saudi player?

14. Muslim July 10th, 2006 at 10:34 am

Mujahideen Ryder on July 10, 2006 at 10:18 am said:

LOL, chicken is good too!

listen to this song: Talib Kweli – What’s beef?

you will learn what is beef and what i mean when i say beef

You shouldn’t be encouraging people to do haram.

15. angel July 10th, 2006 at 10:37 am

than*

16. angel July 10th, 2006 at 10:39 am

if ur asking me i have no clue… i dont even rem that game:S

LS – Saudi Arabia

17. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 10:40 am

You shouldn’t be encouraging people to do haram.

oops. uh. read the lyrics?

18. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 10:43 am

angel on July 10, 2006 at 10:39 am said:

if ur asking me i have no clue… i dont even rem that game:S

LS – Saudi Arabia

Nah i was asking uncle/aunty sheraz, the expert on Zidane’s anger, hahahaha

19. mbslrm July 10th, 2006 at 10:54 am

That was just sad….

20. angel July 10th, 2006 at 11:01 am

at the end of the day, who are we to judge Zidane for his actions, we all make our mistakes, for which whatever reason he did it, whats done is done… life goes on!

21. Faiza July 10th, 2006 at 11:43 am

Mujahideen Ryder on July 10, 2006 at 10:18 am said:

LOL, chicken is good too!

listen to this song: Talib Kweli – What’s beef?

you will learn what is beef and what i mean when i say beef

Yeah, don’t encourage me to do haram. Tsk tsk…

Anyway I read the lyrics cause I couldn’t find the song.

The song is… interesting. I mean apart from all the cursing. Nice message. But why do you like beef? To me it seems like what people are actually trying to fight against…

22. All about the World Cup Soccer Fixture 2006 :: Close of World Cup, two men’s war: Zidane to Materazzi :: July :: 2006 July 10th, 2006 at 12:12 pm

[…] What did Materazzi say to Zidane?Lippi refused to elaborate on what – if anything – Materazzi had muttered under his breath but he did add cryptically: ?Tomorrow the French people will know the truth about Zidane. Materazzi was not acting. … […]

23. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 12:29 pm

i was joking. i dont like beef (the hatred).

24. Salman July 10th, 2006 at 1:42 pm

Amir… Zidane also headbutted a player in one of his club matches as well. They were showing it on ESPN.

Whatever someone said to him, you shouldnt retaliate “physically” especially on such a stage. There are probably a hundred such slurs that have occurred during football matches…

25. France July 10th, 2006 at 2:59 pm

I didn’t read any of the other comments and I don’t even know if you’re going to read this but regardless, you have no right to insult Zidane who is, arguably, the greatest player of his generation. You weren’t freaking there and you have no idea what was said to him. He’s human and if something was said to him that was offensive, it’s going to get him angry. It’s the World Cup Final! Emotions are running so high! It’s Zidane’s last game, he wants to win and if some bloody Italian player grabs his shirt and says something offensive ZIDANE WILL REACT to it. It’s so terrible of you guys to insult him like that. Did you guys even see what happened? He walked away from it! And then Materazzi said something else and he turned around! Oh my gosh, this is so frustrating. Don’t insult Zidane! Zidane has headbutted before like 8 years ago when he was on Juventus and he got a 5 match suspension for that but throughout his career you won’t find any other game where he’s completely lost it. Are you kidding me? Why the hell would you ever root for Italy? They play the dirtiest game I have EVER seen! Honestly. Whatever. If you had been watching soccer before the World Cup you would probably know better to cheer for Italy. Oh and another thing. You didn’t know Italy was going to win the World Cup! Are you kidding me?! FRANCE HAD CONTROL OF THE GAME THE ENTIRE FREAKING TIME! Zidane scored in the 7th minute for crying out loud. This makes me so angry. France had control of the game until the 110th minute, okay? UGH. You should know better.

26. France July 10th, 2006 at 3:05 pm

Oh, and Zidane is the man! He never los this man-ness. He won the Golden Ball, I don’t know if that’s good enough for you though. Italy played such a sucky game it’s not even funny. Buffon is supposed to be this great goalkeeper and he didn’t even save a single goal! Trezeguert just missed that one goal and of course, Barthez is an idiot and he can’t save any… ugh, I’m sorry I just can stand it when people are mean to Zidane! He’s a great player and still so respected in France. Please don’t be mean to Zidane. I know it cost France the match but I love Zidane.

27. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 3:49 pm

To “France”:

I never was a fan of Zidane or France or Italy. I just rooted for Italy during the world cup, because Brasil didn’t make it. If you actually looked at all my posts before Brasil lost, I was talkin about Brasil and the Brasilian players. I didnt care about Italy or any other team.

in 98, i wasn’t a fan of zidane.

And Italian newspapers said Materazzi called Zidane a Terrorist. Muslims get called terrorist everyday in the west, you don’t see us head bumping them. LOL.

Zidane even admitted he is disappointed in himself. What more do you want from him? If he was the greatest player in the world, he would have completely ignored the terrorizing Materazzi.

28. Faiza July 10th, 2006 at 3:59 pm

Mujahideen Ryder on July 10, 2006 at 12:29 pm said:

i was joking. i dont like beef (the hatred).

Told you chicken was better.

29. Sheraz July 10th, 2006 at 4:07 pm

Mujahideen Ryder on July 10, 2006 at 10:43 am said:

Nah i was asking uncle/aunty sheraz, the expert on Zidane’s anger, hahahaha

HA! ha! ha! ha! You are just a very stupid guy.

30. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Sheraz on July 10, 2006 at 4:07 pm said:

HA! ha! ha! ha! You are just a very stupid guy.

Salaam.

31. MilkShaykh July 10th, 2006 at 5:10 pm

I think it’s just sad that we are arguing about a football game…geez, at least talk about the tournament, how amazing it was! What Zidane did was wrong, but no matter what, he is an awesome player, whether you like him or not (set aside your biases toward and against him), you have to agree he is a legend.

Watching the Final Salute by the greatest band, U2, truly showed you the awesomeness of this tournament, all the mixed emotions that were present, and the road that was taken that ultimately led to Italy’s victory. COUNTDOWN TO FIFA WORLD CUP 2010 HAS BEGUN! KSA 2010!!! HEEHEE!!!

32. Ali July 10th, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Zidane was raised in the ghetto… Materazzi caused an all systems overload, which in turn turned my homeboy into a bull. Get over it, arguing about it will do no one good. Why did he stomp the Saudi player? Refer to my first sentence. Let’s just wait to see what Mr Zidane says in a few days.

33. hajeji الحجاجي July 10th, 2006 at 8:45 pm

According to official news-papers, the italian player called zidan a terrorist, not only that but he also insulted his algerian origins.

Zidan is not an arab, he is berber. There are un-islamic elements of berbers that hate arabs and so this is led to believe why zidan stomped on the saudi player.

Allahu’Alam

34. ali July 10th, 2006 at 9:04 pm

hey salaam amir, i saw this link, don’t know if it’s legit though! hopefully we will know soon what matzeratti really said …

35. Mujahideen Ryder July 10th, 2006 at 10:18 pm

ali on July 10, 2006 at 9:04 pm said:

Thanks man!

36. Radeyah July 10th, 2006 at 10:58 pm

If any of those comments you posted are true, then they are truly nasty and I can see why Materazzi was head butted. By the way, Zindedine Zidane is a U.N Goodwill Ambassador and he does tremendous charity work to alleviate poverty. From what I’ve read he’s an incredibly humble, shy man, unfortunately, however wih a lot of rage. I still respect Zidane for they way he plays and for his charity work. He’s still the man!!!

37. Bliss July 10th, 2006 at 11:39 pm

For those that slander.

A good post on the topic at hand by Sh. Faraz Rabbani

Salam Alyk.

p.s. MR im getting tired of typing ‘brooklyn’

38. Yaser July 10th, 2006 at 11:41 pm

…I like lamb…& beef…but I like lamb better. Yea lamb is real meat…chicken is just a side dish…like vegetables…unless its cooked right…enough with the ellipses I’m getting hungry.

39. italy HATER July 11th, 2006 at 2:10 am

man, Zidane is a REAL man. How many brothers here could handle some person calling your own mother a whore? its all about self respect…and Zidane has got it. Forget about what he did in back in 98′ or whatver…Marco was completly out of hand and was being a racist. Marco’s rep is dimished now. screw Italy.

40. anon July 11th, 2006 at 6:28 am

I knew it. Materazzi deserves more than a headbutt. That was easy.

For now, let’s celebrate Zidane’s career. He will truly be missed!

41. anon July 11th, 2006 at 9:34 am

It is universally acknowledged that Zinedine Zidane is a world class player and he totally deserved being the Golden Ball winner. The red card that was given was bang out of order and the ref shouldve at least ANALYSED it first. Matterazzi should be fined and given a community service or a match ban. Zidane will be remembered as the greatest footballer for his skills and tactics, not like other footballers who have pride just because of what they wear.

42. Naida July 11th, 2006 at 10:19 am

Hmm…I wonder if all of this is being written as gheebah in our records.

Whatever happened, happened, but it doesn’t change the fact that Zinedine is our Muslim brother and what’s that hadith about giving your brother 70 excuses? And while all of us are sitting on our high chairs judging our brother, only Allah knows how WE would have reacted in such a situation. Ya muslimeen look inside yourselves and judge only yourselves before it is time for Allah to judge us!

And lastly, I love Zinedine not because he’s the greatest footballer, blah blah, but because he is my brother in Islam and we are tied by a bond that will never break. If one part of the body of our Ummah aches, we should ache as well!

43. ali July 11th, 2006 at 11:27 am

Mujahideen Ryder on July 10, 2006 at 10:18 pm said:

Thanks man!

no prob .. further updates (from matzeratti himself .. well his agent anyway):

44. Salman July 11th, 2006 at 4:44 pm

I was just watching ESPN and they said that Materrazi admitted to insulting Zidane, but these were insults you hear dozens of times in matches. He did *not* call him a terrorist.

Again, the question returns to being cool and collected in such situations especially in a World Cup Final from the team captain.

45. zaki July 11th, 2006 at 9:08 pm

cool collected??? after 110 minutes of soccer, ppl loose it. I would say Zidane was collected as we saw him pass by Materazzi(salman, get your spelling right.lol. otherwise,no one will believe your credential as a Italian fan.) ; however, Materazzi said something even more insulting to provoke him further. He either said” i would rather take your wife’s shirt” or ” son of a terrorist *hore). Italian lipreaders have almost confirmed it.

Zidane is still the man.

I hate that Materazzi guy. Watch him on youtube. he kicks and taunts strikers for no reason.

46. zaki July 11th, 2006 at 9:08 pm

link

47. ali July 12th, 2006 at 10:32 am

we’ll know today what happened:

2 pm ET, French time 8pm