mrprotestsign.jpgI attended the protest in Washington DC against the Israeli war in Lebanon and the occuapation of Palestine and Iraq by Israel and the US on Saturday August 12, 2006. It was a hot day and I wasn’t expecting a lot of people to show up, but to my surprise over 40,000 people came from all different backgrounds. They’re were black people, white people, Asians, Muslims, Jews and Christians all protesting and marching together for one cause.

I made my own sign for the protest (as you can see on the picture on the right, courtesy of Junaid Arshad). On one side I had a quote from Shaykh Hamza Yusuf’s video on the Israeli war saying: “The problem is not religion. The problem is the absence of religion.” On the other side it said “Killing children is an act of terrorism.”

You can check out the pictures of the protest I took here. Also my friend Junaid took some pictures here.

• 64 Responses for "Protest/March in DC against the U.S. and Israeli agression on Lebanon, Palestine and Iraq"

1. EagleOne August 17th, 2006 at 1:08 pm

mujahideenryder on August 17, 2006 at 12:30 pm said:

PS – man i was gettin worried you were some Islamaphobic American too (i was like damn man this guy really hates me).

what the hell r u talking about checked my IP? Now this will be good, where do you think I am? I’m at work at a top financial firm, i’m who you want to be – you say it yourself, one of the top things you want to do in life is make money… some muslim you are, allah would be proud.

Oh yes, i’m the fanatic here – now that, that is truly funny.

2. EagleOne August 17th, 2006 at 1:14 pm

EagleOne on August 17, 2006 at 1:08 pm said:

Oh yes, i’m the fanatic here – now that, that is truly funny.

I thought you may be someone to have an intelligent conversation with about the lack of islam not condemning terrorism, but turns out you are just a goofy kid from long island who thinks it’s cool to have a web blog..mr mujahideeen – so funny – what do you know about the ruff ryders, believe it or not, i’ve ridden my street bike in a rally and they were there.. the last thing they want is some terrorist sympathizer slime like you using their name.

3. Sister August 17th, 2006 at 1:47 pm

>>if these radicals are such a small % of islam, why are they allowed to kill civilians and do all their other horrific terrorism acts in the name of your god Allah? Why can they stamp Allahs name on 9/11,subway bombings,bus bombings, chechnya, cutting peoples heads off, etc., without the other 99% of islam speaking up?

EagleOne, open your eyes! Have you not read the numerous articles of Muslims condemning terrorism. No one “allows” these people to do this. And do you not think when Muslim are in the wrong and killing peopel it will be on the news? Obviously it will be. And how about the Danish cartoons.. Do you not know of the peacful Muslims who asked that the cartoon not be shown because of the backlash from it. Before the cartoons were REPUBLISHED? Oh yes, ignore that fact, why don’t you?

You’re right. Muslims need to have a stronger positive response. But don’t ignore that we do try. We have to try harder, yes. But there is an effort that is obviously not seen by you.

>>Maybe the U.s. has not done the best job – but it is helping any good, democratic country out there and ruling out viscous dictators… you must help your country wrestle YOUR religion back.

Dear EagleOne, please tell me why you can back the US when it’s wrong. Yet you claim hypocrisy of us Muslims who defend our religion and speak out against those who seek to contort it. And the US is not helping any good, democratic country out there. Lebanon? What change do we have of peace there? Democracy? Or yeah, “Islamic Extremism” will probably turn up there in a stronger force than before because of our actions.

And just because many Muslims don’t support this country’s actions does not mean they are not citizens of the country. How about you look around and see all the non-Muslims, all the people who have been here for centuries speaking out aginst the US’s policies. How about you see how past presidents say that it is more patriotic to speak out against your country when it is wrong than to sit back and support it when it’s wrong. How about all those government officials and past presidents who say we’re wrong? Are you going to point fingers at them? They’re doing what we are. And if you haven’t noticed.. MANY MANY MANY more non-Muslims come out to protests and demonstrations than Muslims. Now, I believe more Muslims should be out there as well. But.. I’d like to show you that citizens of YOUR very nation are more open minded than you are. They are more objective in their line of thought.

There is some truth in some things you say. However, if you think Muslims are being blind, then what are you doing?

4. mujahideenryder August 17th, 2006 at 2:30 pm

EagleOne on August 17, 2006 at 1:08 pm said:

Oh yes, i’m the fanatic here – now that, that is truly funny.

if ur working at a top finiancial firm. you should be working instead of posting comments.

5. EagleOne August 17th, 2006 at 2:36 pm

mujahideenryder on August 17, 2006 at 2:30 pm said:

don’t worry about what I need to do, i’m not the one with the hijacked religion.

6. EagleOne August 17th, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Sister on August 17, 2006 at 1:47 pm said:

Sister, no, i have not read the ‘numerous’ articles of muslims condemning terrorism, nor do i see the muslim rulers coming out against it enough. I wish I did.

You seem a worthy person to speak to, as ryder has reduced himself to 50-cent lyrics…My whole point is, that’s fine if you do not agree with all of U.S. policies, no one does. But most of what I see from muslims is one sided, constantly putting down the U.S. while exploiting the pleasure of living here, never speaking out against terrorism… and that is my point.. you can not stand up and tell me muslims are doing all they can to help the west, who now bears the burden of rescuing islam from the radicals? I ask you, what is the muslim plan for regaining the scarred religion that is islam from these radicals? Why is the west the only one strong enough to do something about it? It is a cancer that needs to be destroyed and it seems to me, most muslims rather not say anything, or they truly sympathize with them while they live in the U.S. watching MTV, quoting 50-cent, and driving cool cars, yet – oh yes, Allah is great – hate the west, death to israel.. but give me my MTV.

7. mujahideenryder August 17th, 2006 at 2:56 pm

EagleOne on August 17, 2006 at 2:36 pm said:

at least im still young in school enjoyin life chillen. don’t gotta work that much, while your working ur butt off in a top finianical firm making big money.

btw i don’t think its wise to waste a good 4 hours on this site while at work. your boss may get mad at you.

8. mujahideenryder August 17th, 2006 at 2:58 pm

“P.S. – hey ryder, if you’re not too busy asking where my dogs at, why don’t you take that stupid CODE VERIFICATION off the reply screen, it’s really annoying.”

“where my dogs at” – dmx

it prevents spam comments from bots.

9. EagleOne August 17th, 2006 at 3:02 pm

mujahideenryder on August 17, 2006 at 12:30 pm said:

ryder – the last thing I am is an islamophobe (scared of islam), there is nothing scary about a people who claim god instructs them to kill non-believers, for the will not succeed as a people. What I do fear is the fact that someone I love can be an innocent victim of this sick ideology – PURPOSELY, and I say PURPOSELY, targeting innocents… this is the difference between the west, Israel, and the terrorists – terrorists PURPOSELY kill innocents and say ALLAH IS GREAT while doing it, and the muslim world sits quietly.. BUT – god forbid you draw a cartoon of Allah – THEN DAMN YOU – YOU WESTERN PIG, DIE DIE, NEVER USE ALLAH’S NAME, BLASPHEMY!!!

10. EagleOne August 17th, 2006 at 3:04 pm

mujahideenryder on August 17, 2006 at 2:56 pm said:

not that its any of your business but i make my own hours – my part time hobby is pointing out that people like you who seem true to a cause, like showing people islam really is peaceful, has resorted to name calling and rationalizing for the terrorists…so why don’t you come real from the start.

11. Sister August 17th, 2006 at 4:56 pm

>>But most of what I see from muslims is one sided, constantly putting down the U.S. while exploiting the pleasure of living here, never speaking out against terrorism… and that is my point.. you can not stand up and tell me muslims are doing all they can to help the west, who now bears the burden of rescuing islam from the radicals?

Look. I’m tired of it too. There’s great things the US does and has the power to do. But the problem is then we resort to these things that completely tarnish our reputation in the world. Completely. Muslims aren’t all they can to help the West, but the West certainly isn’t rescuing Islam from the non-Muslims. They’re not making us look ANY better. First off, our ongoing policies in the Middle East and the world in general alienate Muslims. Not only in the US are we ostracized (I went to a restaurant two days ago and someone was throwing food at me; my brother has been called “bin Laden”; my brothers have been pulled off planes in fact, one time it was because somoene felt uncomfortable that 5 Muslims were on there plane (now would that feeling ever be reciprocated?), i was spit at as well as cursed at and taunted, my sister had to be escorted to her car so people wouldn’t rip off her hijab.. need me to go on JUST with my family? t)..But our policies makes people resent the US. I’m scared that it breeds more people who support violence.

>>I ask you, what is the muslim plan for regaining the scarred religion that is islam from these radicals?

What we’ve been doing, except I would hope in larger numbers. Condeming more, being more active in politics, news and media in general. Blogging, because for some of us it is the best way to share our views. But what the media can do is help us out. Repeatedly in US history, immigrants and new populations have been alienated. They’ve been hated and there has been racism. Now, the Muslims aren’t so new. We’ve been here at least as long as slaves were brought here, but we’ve grown in number. And now there is a backlash against Muslims (though it was stronger after 9/11, i’ve only been taunted from 2003 onward.. maybe because i started wearing the hijab that year. i don’t know). What the media needs to do is some damage control. Due to the Muslims who are not practicing Islam and due to the media, numerous incidents of hate have been reported. THe least we can do is be a little more objective in our reporting. At least in print media there is a shift. I’ve been seeing more and more objectivity. However, news media has got to change. Have you seen CNN? It used to be my news source. Until I realized they’re pretty one sided most of the time. They need to collaborate with the Muslims who practice Islam and want to show it for what it is. People have “hijacked our religion” (from Ali’s video). And we want it back.

12. DrM August 18th, 2006 at 3:09 am

Hey MR I thought you had a policy regarding trolls.

13. Mujahideen Ryder August 18th, 2006 at 9:41 am

DrM on August 18, 2006 at 3:09 am said:

Hey MR I thought you had a policy regarding trolls.

Sometimes trolls are good… haha

Nah I never did.

14. sick of idiotic eagle one August 18th, 2006 at 4:08 pm

you give a link to an american website bout a british incident and think that should justify the stupid conspiracy theory bout the baby and bottle..are u that silly that u think the british media would leave such a story out if it were true, yet it would be covered massively by ‘Pittsburgh’?? gimme a break..if u hate Islam and Muslims why r u on the blog..

Your defensive comments show your fear, and how come your taking the liberty of being so judgemental of mujahideen ryder’s character- he prays ‘but give me my mtv’ how does any of his lifestyle concern you..if money makings important to you stick to it.
      Im sure of one thing- you’d never approach a real Muslim in the street and question them this way