MR’s Sponsor an Iftar Fund for SBU MSA

• Filed under: Islam
  • Date: Sep 27,2006 | 11:33 PM

Total raised so far: $176.95
JazakumAllah Khair for all those who donated! May Allah (swt) grant you jannah! Ameen!

My MSA provides daily iftars for all the Muslim students on campus. We have people sponsor iftars by donating some money. This year I decided that MR.net would help sponsor an iftar. So I am asking all those who have PayPal accounts to donate simply $1.00. That’s all I’m asking for. You can donate more if you want. If 100 people donate $1, then it would be $100.

Blessings of feeding fasters:

(Related by Ahmad)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) mentioned the virtue of feeding a fasting person at the time of breaking the fast. In one Hadith, it is reported that the angels invoke blessings during the nights of Ramadhan upon a person who feeds a fasting person to break the fast out of his ‘Halaal’ earnings and, on the night of ‘Laylatul Qadr’, Jibraail (alayhis salaam) shakes hands with him. The sign of this is that his heart becomes soft, while tears flow freely from his eyes.

• 37 Responses for "MR’s Sponsor an Iftar Fund for SBU MSA"

1. Mohsin September 28th, 2006 at 11:24 am

come on ppl donate

2. Stony Brook MSA wants you! « Journey of A Traveler September 28th, 2006 at 10:11 pm

[…] MR.net has begun collecting donations in order to help us continue these actions. Remember that spending would go in way of charity, it would also fulfill the fact that you are feeding a fasting person, you are promoting unity and harmony and you are doing this all during Ramadhan. Please be generous or as much as you can (even if only a dollar). The link will lead you to MR’s site that will link to the Paypal account for donations. Jazakallah Khairan. Please keep me in your du’aa. […]

3. Foot in the Sink September 29th, 2006 at 2:40 am

go read some qur’an

4. Help Sponsor a Stony Brook MSA Iftaar at HAhmed.com September 29th, 2006 at 11:07 am

[…] So click here to contribute to Amir’s SB MSA Iftar Fund!  The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever feeds a fasting person has the same reward as him, except that the reward of the fasting person will not be diminished.” (Musnad of Imaam Ahmad) […]

5. Abdul Rahman Hilmi September 29th, 2006 at 6:05 pm

bismillah
      assalamu ala al Muslimeen

Thanks, but if I’m going to donate some money I’d rather give it to someone who actually needs it. Like in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia, or Niger. Or maybe someone who would put the money to a better use than the MSA, like feeding hungry people who could hardly find something to break his fast with or fighting to liberate his land from oppression.

wassalam

6. nisa September 29th, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Walikum Salaam – What’s wrong with helping our Youth? Who knows one of them might grow up to be a great human being. All because of a full meal -thanks to you- that somehow not only provided sufficient glucose but also gave him/her a sense of responsibility that will make him/her take care of those less fortunate.

If Allah swt wanted us to neglect our communities He wouldn’t have placed us here. If you want to bring change anywhere in the world then why not start with our own community? Why not make sure that the young and the old are taken care of?

7. ... September 29th, 2006 at 7:52 pm

It a dollar…he’s not asking to donate everything to the MSA, just a small, modest contribution. I understand your point but you are also not sure of the condition of some of the people who come to Stony Brook iftars….no matter what anyway, this money is going to waste, the amount of reward in each cent given is beyond us to determine.

Allahu ‘alam…may He accept any sadaqa we give in His way.

8. ... September 29th, 2006 at 7:53 pm

this money is not going to waste*****

9. Daddu September 29th, 2006 at 10:54 pm

Assalam ‘Alikum

Abdul Rahman Hilmi on September 29, 2006 at 6:05 pm said:

bismillah
      assalamu ala al Muslimeen

wassalam

Unfortunately most people don’t realize how you should deal with charity. How do the ayaat deal with zakaat? It goes “قربى Ùˆ اليتما Ùˆ المسكين ” so therefore the people we always forget, those closest to us, is commanded of us. Our family, then our friends, then our community, then our neighborhood then our city, then our region then our country then others. The excuse that they need it more is somewhat valid but in reality it is also an escapist mindset in order not to think we have to contribute to those in this country who need it. Nonetheless, this does not diminish the fact that we need to help those who need us in other countries. Furthermore, we should be helping everyone and to make a long story, everyone stop complaining. HE ASKED FOR A SINGLE DOLLAR! Don’t be Jewish. Owch I’m going to be yelled at for that.

10. naveed ahmed September 30th, 2006 at 12:32 am

i love daddu

11. haseeb September 30th, 2006 at 12:40 am

Abdur Rahman Hilmi:

Bro, if u dont want to contribute – then dont. You are only embarassing yourself by making such a ridiculous statement. Amir is trying to help raise money for his iftaar and is asking people to donate ONE DOLLAR.

Amir, keep us updated with how much you have raised thus far!

Daddu: The jewish reference was not necessary.

12. Mujahideen Ryder September 30th, 2006 at 1:08 am

Abdul Rahman Hilmi on September 29, 2006 at 6:05 pm said:

bismillah
      assalamu ala al Muslimeen

wassalam

I’m fasting.

13. Yaser September 30th, 2006 at 6:06 am

Haseeb, you’re right, it wasn’t necessary. Sorry.

14. Nadia September 30th, 2006 at 7:43 am

“HE ASKED FOR A SINGLE DOLLAR! Don’t be Jewish. Owch I’m going to be yelled at for that.”

Hilarious, really hilarious. The truth is sometimes simply striking, lol !

15. Jenn September 30th, 2006 at 9:38 am

Who donated 11 cents? lol

16. Muslimah September 30th, 2006 at 11:06 am

wow good idea MashaAllah, May Allah put barakah in all that we do for HIS sake and accept it from us.

17. ali September 30th, 2006 at 2:11 pm

i think the most important question is, how is this at 7 cents? international (non US$) donations get converted?

18. Yaser September 30th, 2006 at 4:36 pm

Alhamdulillah, people have donated. Keep it up everybody!

19. al-hajeji الحجاجي September 30th, 2006 at 9:47 pm

there are too many fat indians and blacks in MSA, you guys should lose weight, and therefore no money from me :p

20. Z October 1st, 2006 at 10:01 am

Ahh why did he make that comment! give to this and to the bros in them Pakistan, iraq..

But this is for a different reason… to pay for people to break there fast…?

Khairr some people always want to make nasty commnets!
      So Abdul Rahman when u break ur fast i hope ur only eating a date and sending all ur cash to those who need? it..?
      Look in to the hadiths about giving food to a fatsing person,, and you will see how good it is?
      But HT dont teach this they teach hmmm poltics in Islaam>

21. Ayoub October 1st, 2006 at 12:47 pm

Why type of food will you be serving?

22. Mujahideen Ryder October 1st, 2006 at 2:55 pm

Ayoub on October 1, 2006 at 12:47 pm said:

Why type of food will you be serving?

It varies, mostly rice and chicken.

23. Abdul Rahman Hilmi October 3rd, 2006 at 1:28 am

bismillah
      assalamu ala al Muslimeen

Z, if I held up a charity to give money to break the fast of people from the HT, would you contribute? I would only help Mujahideen Ryder and the US flag waving brothers like him if they really needed help. If I gave a single cent I would be wondering all day who better I could have given it to and as far as the MSA is concerned, I could count a million other people. I never claimed to be breaking my fast with nothing but dates, I said that there are alot of charity outlets everywhere you go, be it online or not, and the MSA is not in the top priority right now. They are Muslims and I would carry them on my shoulders if I have to, but I’m sure they’re not going to starve. Did you contribute to their iftaar? Then let me ask you; did you contribute to Islamic Aid? Islamic Relief? Muslim Aid? We have a bank account open for the people of Pakistan since the Earth Quake, did you contribute to that? How much money do you have in your account that you have put aside for charity? Where are you planning to give it? Do these organisation do less than your anthem singing MSA? My guess is no. But its typical of you ‘roll-up-your-trousers-self-proclaimed-“salafi” Muslims to twist everything to an HT issue. May Allah forgive you anyway and guide the missguided.

wassalam

24. Abdul Rahman Hilmi October 3rd, 2006 at 2:58 am

assalamu alaikum
      subhaan Allah
      I apologise, what I said earlier is not the time to be said. It’s Ramadaan and I should have just continued to ignore the comments but brother Z really got to me. I do apologise and may Allah forgive us all.

wassalam

25. Z October 3rd, 2006 at 5:49 am

A least we follow the sunnah by rolling our trousers up?
      But bro if im right? u dont believe chairty? are not allowed? etc.. .
      I dont want make problem? but if he is asking to for money shouldnt we HELP him and others? Khair like Allaah swt says when i guide someone astary no one can guide the,…
      and you must be your typical dunya minded ht , who drags his trousers,dont know where local masjid is, and now every book on poltics, but doesnt know what aqeedah is, and hand shaking women… at the end of the day this is what u follow? im making a point i dont agree with somethings MR says but he is trying to raise money for his local college his action is good and im sure his Nayaah is pure..and about me giving chairty, Alhamduiliah a Muslim must give chairty.. but MR is not saying this is chairty he is just asking for donations? even if i give one £1 or £200,000 its between me and my Lord.?
      May Allaah me and us all and forgive me and us all.

26. Mujahideen Ryder October 3rd, 2006 at 6:06 am

Yo Z – did you hear about Shaykh Yasir Qadhi’s shocking speech at the AlMaghrib New York Promo? My friends were telling me about it. He blew everyone’s mind away. The room was silent.

27. Abdul Rahman Hilmi October 3rd, 2006 at 1:04 pm

bismillah
      assalamu ala al Muslimeen
      Brother Z; Re-read the texts about having your trousers above your ankles. I am not willing to spend more time on discussing something too obvious to be argued about. For every hukum there is a reason and when the reason is removed the hukum is not applicable. This is furthermore the case over here where the prophet (pbuh) himself gave an exception to Abu Baker due to the absence of the reason this hukum came down in. Try and use your head and think on what is being said in the book of Allah instead of acting like some Wahaabi who can only understand the book cover whilst the inside of the book is a complete mistery to him.

As for the second, third and fourth line you wrote, I couldn’t understand what you’re trying to say in them. I don’t believe in charity?? Where did you gather that from?

As for the rest of your non-sense attack on the men and women of Tahrir, let me make on thing clear to you first. You’re not “exposing” us or giving away any top secret or surprise by saying that the Islamic Liberation Party is a purely political party. We said that before you were even born and anyone who knows that party knows this fact. No one denied it nor anyone argued this point.

I’m short of time so I wont be able to complete my reply. Inshallah I will soon enough.

wassalam

28. Egyptian Gumbo October 3rd, 2006 at 3:57 pm

wait so what did sheikh yasir say at his lecture?

29. Z October 3rd, 2006 at 5:32 pm

And im a sister get ur facts right:D

30. bliss October 3rd, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Assalam Alykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.

You guys love to make a mountain out of a molehill.

To sister Z, how’s your gender a fact if it wasn’t even stated.

To Brother MR, make a post of Sheikh Yasir’s lecture. I’m interested.

31. Z October 3rd, 2006 at 11:59 pm

😀 Just making a Point gosssssssh

32. bliss October 4th, 2006 at 12:03 am

and also Brother/Sister Abdul Rehman Hilmi, please don’t ignorantly call out words like ‘salafi’ and ‘wahabi’ as to sum them up and exhibit your conclusion. WHY? 1) We already have enough of those comments on MR’s blog, 2) those are heavy words, your one liners aren’t doing anyone any justice, nor does they suit you or your manner of speech.

Wallahu’Alam

33. bliss October 4th, 2006 at 12:04 am

nor do they*

Its ok Z, i was only making a point too.

34. Abdul Rahman Hilmi October 4th, 2006 at 1:06 am

bismillah
      assalamu alaikum
      If sister Z would excuse me, I’ll just reply to brother/sister bliss and then continue where I left off in my last reply.

I agree that the use of the term “Wahabi” might be uncalled for, but as for “salafi”, I recall saying “self-proclaimed salafi”. I find it quite ironic to see brothers going around proclaiming themselves to be salafies. It’s like going around saying I’m a better person than the lot of you. This is more the case when we’re taught in Islam not to have any riaa, self rightousness and to praise ourselves infront of others. The question is; do you follow the sunnah to the best of your ability? I think all Muslims do that and some are better than others. Where exactly does the title “salafi” comes in except out of pride and arrogance? Subhaan Allah anyway.

Now back to sister Z. Hizb ut Tahrir never intended to teach its members everything about Islam, that’s not the point of the party. The party clearly stated that it is working on an issue that the rest of the ummah seems to be ignoring. Practicing the sunnah, reading the Quraan, studying different scholars is good, it’s great even. But it’s also being done by hundreds, no thousands, no even millions of different schools throughout the world. Has anyone else been working for the establishment of the political side of Islam in the past 50 years?

Dunya minded? How are we dunya minded? Did you ever read what’s going on to party members in the lands of the majaal (Muslim lands)? I wont give you party websites, try Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch. Search through these neutral websites and read about what the party has to go through in different lands. Dunya minded? Subhaan Allah. What have you seen of us that would imply it? Because the party doesn’t teach spiritual Islam? So do you think we lock our members in a room and only provide to them our litreture and never let them out? The party is not our life nor is it everything in our world. We may be loyal to it, but we do know that Islam is much bigger than the party and all what we’re trying to do is revive an aspect of Islam through the HT that was put to sleep about 80 years ago.

I’ll bring it closer to you sister. We pray and prayer is a good spiritual action. However, if we pray all day everyday, as much as it is a good action, we will never get anything done. If we want to build a mosque we have to mix concrete and to mix concrete we need builders. HT, is a construction company and it provides builders. The fact that we don’t give Islamic lectures that deal with the spiritual aspect does not make us dunya minded. We study these things in our own time, but when we’re working for HT, we get up from prayer, and start mixing concrete. If you want to remain in your spiritual side and pray the whole day, then we’re not going to force you to get up and inshallah when we build our mosque we will invite you to come in and pray in its shade. That does not make us dunya minded.

If MR was trying to raise money for his local mosque then I will be more than happy to donate. But he’s raising money to help an Islamic organisation that (as far as I understood from MR himself) waves the US flag and teaches its students to do the same.

wassalam

35. Muslimah October 4th, 2006 at 10:21 am

I went to the Al Maghrib Promo in the city, it was really good, Shaikh Yasir Birjas was excellent and Yasid Qadhi was amazing !, both very good speakers, to those who are in the NYC/NJ area, highly recommend u take the 2 week course being offered on the weekend of Nov3rd and Nov 10th weekend. its only 2 weeks =)

register here
      classes will most prob be in NYU i believe?..not sure, prob have to follow up on it

36. Yaser October 5th, 2006 at 8:17 am

I heard his lecture was very intellectually stimulating.

37. Yaser October 5th, 2006 at 8:19 am

In a good way :)

Hmm, my simple request for a dollar just turned into sectarian debate? Thats messed up. Check out my post on sectarianism in the past: