jeffreymarkdeskovicmuslim.jpgI found this article amazing. This guy was accused of killing someone and was in jail for 16 years, but they found out he wasn’t the guy so they let him go. He served 16 years in jail for a crime he didn’t commit. That is really sad, but Allah had better plans for him…

After 1 year in jail, he converted to Islam! MashaAllah! Allah hu Akbar!

Allah guides people in the most strangest ways! Here is the news Article:

DNA Evidence Frees a Man Imprisoned for Half His Life

WHITE PLAINS, Sept. 20 — Jeffrey Mark Deskovic came of age in a maximum-security prison, doing time for a crime he did not commit.

Sixteen years ago, Mr. Deskovic was convicted of raping, beating and strangling a Peekskill High School classmate in a jealous fit of rage. DNA evidence presented at his trial showed that semen in the victim’s body was not his, but the police testified that he had confessed.

On Wednesday, after he fought exhaustive legal battles and wrote dozens of pleading letters that led him nowhere, Mr. Deskovic, 32, walked out of the Westchester County Courthouse an overjoyed if embittered man.

“I was supposed to finish my education, to begin a career,” he said. “The time period to have a family, to spend time with my family, is lost. I lost all my friends. My family has become strangers to me.

“There was a woman who I wanted to marry at the time that I was convicted, and I lost that too,” Mr. Deskovic added. “Given all that, I ask everybody: Would you be angry?”

Among the people who Mr. Deskovic said refused to review his case is Jeanine F. Pirro, the former Westchester district attorney, who took office after his trial; she is now the Republican nominee for state attorney general. The freed inmate and his lawyer expressed outrage that Ms. Pirro had scheduled a news conference to call for the reinstatement of the death penalty in New York just as Mr. Deskovic was being released Wednesday morning, but Ms. Pirro ended up canceling the event.

Ms. Pirro’s successor, Janet DiFiore, agreed to run the evidence through a national DNA databank after she was approached in June by Barry Scheck, a director of the Innocence Project, which works to free the wrongly convicted.

The decision to release Mr. Deskovic came after the DNA matched that of a man who is serving time for another Westchester murder. Ms. DiFiore declined to identify him but said he recently confessed to killing Angela Correa, 15, the girl Mr. Deskovic was convicted of killing, on Nov. 15, 1989.

Mr. Scheck said that Mr. Deskovic was the 184th person nationwide to be exonerated because of DNA evidence since 1989, and that his case highlights the importance of having the authorities videotape interviews with suspects, as many police departments nationwide have begun to do.

“We’ve learned a lot about false confessions in the past decade,” Mr. Scheck said at a news conference. “Videotaping of confessions and training of police officers can definitely lead to different results.”

The case against Mr. Deskovic hinged largely on a confession he made after six hours of questioning in a small interrogation room in Brewster, where two Peekskill detectives took him for a polygraph test, according to court documents.

Mr. Deskovic, a sophomore, and Ms. Correa, a freshman, were in two classes together. Both were quiet and did not have a lot of friends, according to his mother, Linda McGarr, and Ms. Correa’s stepfather, Pedro Rivera, who sat quietly in court to see Mr. Deskovic go free.

“I can’t tell you why, but I’ve always had a feeling that the police had the wrong guy,” said Mr. Rivera.

Mr. Rivera met Mr. Deskovic for the first time at Ms. Correa’s wake, but saw him numerous times after that, he said. Mr. Deskovic went to church with the family, dined at their home and took Ms. Correa’s younger sister to the movies, he recalled.

“Jeffrey cried a lot for Angela,” Mr. Rivera said. “He was very distraught.”

The police in Peekskill said Mr. Deskovic’s behavior seemed odd. At his trial, investigators said they grew suspicious of Mr. Deskovic because he was late for school the day after Ms. Correa’s murder and seemed “overly distraught” about the death of a girl who was not his close friend.

For two months, Mr. Deskovic denied having anything to do with Ms. Correa’s death. Finally, in late January 1990, he agreed to the polygraph test, which preceded the interrogation that led to his confession.

“Believing in the criminal justice system and being fearful for myself, I told them what they wanted to hear,” Mr. Deskovic said, by way of explanation. “I thought it was all going to be O.K. in the end,” because he was sure that the DNA testing would show his innocence.

In convicting Mr. Deskovic, the jury effectively chose to give more weight to his tearful confession than to the DNA and other scientific evidence.

The conviction seemed to indicate that jurors believed the prosecution theory that semen found in Ms. Correa’s body was likely from a consensual sexual relationship with someone else.

Many convicted criminals were compelled to give DNA samples in recent years, and the source of the semen in the victim’s body was apparently identified that way. Until such database comparisons were available, there was no way for Mr. Deskovic to disprove the prosecution’s theory, because there was no way to pinpoint whose semen it was.

While in prison, Mr. Deskovic said, he lived “from appeal to appeal,” trying not to think of the 15-years-to-life sentence that hung over him. He finished high school, and earned an associate’s degree.

He played a lot of chess and learned how to type, fix computers and paint walls, he said. He also learned how to cook.

A year into his sentence, he converted to Islam. “It was a major factor in surviving prison in terms of my mental sanity,’’ he said.

After his release, Mr. Deskovic went with his mother, two aunts and two uncles for lunch at an Italian restaurant here. He ate tomatoes, mozzarella sticks, stuffed mushrooms, mussels and a dish of baked ziti. And for the first time, he talked on a cellphone.

“That was pretty weird,’’ he said afterward. “I was looking for the little holes where you talk into, and couldn’t find them.’’

Source: New York Times

• 19 Responses for "16 Years in jail for a crime he didn’t do, but Allah had better plans for him…"

1. Yaser October 1st, 2006 at 5:37 pm

Subhanallah, what an ordeal

2. Fatal Skillz October 1st, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Subhanallah, and the same thing happened ot Malcolm X

3. Yaser October 1st, 2006 at 11:25 pm

Except Malcom X was guilty when he went in, this guy was innocent.

4. OECD October 2nd, 2006 at 1:41 am

lol

5. egyptchick7 October 2nd, 2006 at 5:24 am

This is quite common in jails, at least here in NY, that is to convert or being exposed to Islam. While I am a Muslim, my pork eating brother “is” by birth but, you know what I mean.

Anyway, he was just sentenced to a year at Rikers. And in his first week requested me to get him a Koran and told me he is fasting his first time! Mashallah. I heard in jail it is a lot of reflection and you have a lot of reading to do. Islam brings a lot of inner peace to a lot of different ppl in different circumstances. Subhanallah.

6. Ayoub October 2nd, 2006 at 3:39 pm

Is this on Mainstream media? like CNN? FOX? MSNBC?

7. egyptchick7 October 2nd, 2006 at 7:42 pm

Due to foiling Jeanine Pirro’s image ( who might I add deserves NY’s attorney general sopt bc she has a whole lot more experience than despotism Cuomo) it has been in the NY papers for quite some time and proably in the NY station news. Haven’t seen it on the cable news tho.

8. Tasbeeh October 2nd, 2006 at 8:06 pm

It’s so refreshing to find news like this. I was getting a little bit discouraged by the comments some people leave on Islamic YouTube videos.

Allah always has a plan for you, though you might think otherwise. Al hamdulilah.

9. soulstar October 2nd, 2006 at 9:38 pm

Salaam,

We should never doubt the Qadr of Allah. jazak Allah khair for the reminder.

10. cricketgal October 3rd, 2006 at 2:47 pm

subhannallah!!

11. Fatal Skillz October 3rd, 2006 at 9:03 pm

No im saying that he got converted in Jail to

12. Debbie October 4th, 2006 at 10:02 am

Terrible for anyone to go to jail or prison for something they did not do.

Unrelated: MR, I need some advice. You can email me. My Christian friend is marrying a Muslim man, and I would like to get them something that will be special. Can you give me an idea? I know that no one around here knows anything about Islam and most will purchase items from their ‘bridal registry’ (china, flatware, crystal, etc.). My husband and I will purchase something for them from the registry, but I want to get something special for their bridal tea.

Can you suggest something? Maybe something they would display in their home, above their front door, … I don’t know.

Let me hear from you, I want to do this right.

13. Sulayman October 5th, 2006 at 3:29 am

Although i don’t wanna be partisan here, I don’t like Ms. Pirro, and this is just another nail in the coffin for her campaign. She wiretapped her own husband illegally, do you think she wouldn’t wiretap you or me? Attorney generals enforce the laws and prosecute, this is as bad as a cop getting a DWI.

I’m supportive of a death penalty in principle, but this sort of unjust trial and faulty evidence really makes me reconsider if America can do it right.

14. Khalil Al-Puerto Rikani October 6th, 2006 at 2:45 pm

Thanks to our former DA here in Westchester County. Imagine all the other people still in unjustly in jail because of Pirro. Hey MR did you know that Pirro is Lebanese.

Khalil Al-Puerto Rikani

15. Khalil Al-Puerto Rikani October 6th, 2006 at 3:04 pm

In answer to Ayyub in post#6, yes this was mainstream news. I saw this on CNN the very next morning that this happened.

Khalil Al-Puerto Rikani

16. Doa October 14th, 2006 at 5:39 pm

Actually Malcolm X didn’t exactly convert in jail. He joined the Nation of Islam in jail. He converted to Real Islam years after, on his own.
      I’m actually from Westchester, so this story was extremely weird and saddening for me. How could someone take a confession over scientific evidence? Especially knowing the way the police beats people and does other things to get them to confess? But subhanAllah, in jail they’ve got a priest, a rabbi, an imam..and a huge library with a bunch of books on all different faiths. A LOT of people convert to Islam in jail, and this not only gets them through it, if they WERE guilty, they come out a much better person. It’s the best cure for a criminal mind. Alhumdulillah.

17. salahudeen October 15th, 2006 at 8:18 am

wow amazing story alhamdulilah he was found innocent and they released the brother may Allah bless him

PS Bros and Sis one does not convert to Islam we are born Muslims and maybe our parents taught us differently there for we are reverting back to Islam by Allahs grace

s/alaikum

18. godilali October 15th, 2006 at 5:10 pm

What I posted elsewhere:

as salamu alaikum,

I just met a brother today at the masjid named Jeffrey “Jaleel” Deskovic. He was wrongfully convicted of a murder and spent 16 years in prison. He is only 32, so he spend literally half his life in prison, and was recently released because of DNA evidence. The government did not give him any compensation, nor did it help him reintegrate into society in any way. He did not even receive the measely $40 that parolees get. Despite being wrongfully thrown into prison, something which would drive normal people insane, Jaleel reverted to Islam, studied the deen formally via AOU courses, and completed 3 years towards his bachelors degree in psychology.

Meeting him really impacted me, because things that we take for granted, like feeling the wind through your hair, or walking through a college campus (which he did for the first time) were a big deal for him. In addition, he was surprisingly educated and articulate for someone who had been in prison since age 16.

I encourage you to read the following links about his case, and the flawed justic system in the United States.

19. Wishing Star54 October 18th, 2006 at 12:38 am

SubhanAllah, just when I thought my world was coming to an end today with so much tribuations on this holy Ramadhan, reading thru these made me realise that everything that Allah touches turns into miracles, never underestimate what He wants to do in/ for your life. It is so inspiring so I will be patient & wait for my turn & learn the art of “tawakkal” – absolute faith in Allah’s greatness. I hv done my best & I will the rest in Allah’s hand. Alhamdullilah.