Will Smith says “I want to go on the hajj to Mecca.”

willsmith.jpgInshaAllah my brother Will Smith, InshaAllah! I found this post on HAhmed.com which quotes a USA Today article saying,

“I want to go on the hajj to Mecca,” Smith says. “I don’t believe in religious separatism. I love people, and I don’t believe that the twin towers getting knocked down means all Muslims are bad.

“I was raised in a resurrection Baptist church in Philadelphia, and my grandmother was a devout member of the church. The things that I believe are 90% morally what I learned growing up. But the additions that Jada and I have made — we’ve traveled around the world.”

Source: For the Fresh Prince, films are family business

• 35 Responses for "Will Smith says “I want to go on the hajj to Mecca.”"

1. Saad S. December 12th, 2006 at 10:59 pm

The only way to go to Hajj is if you are a Muslim.

That would be great if he would become one.

2. TheOne December 13th, 2006 at 3:45 am

I have a feeling he will one day Insha’Allah

3. Doa December 13th, 2006 at 5:24 am

SubhanAllah

4. Bint Muhammad December 13th, 2006 at 10:35 am

hmm, to me it sounds like from his comment

‘I don’t believe in religious separatism’

this to me means he doesnt like the idea that muslims dont allow non muslims in the haramian,
      then again i cud be wrong, but thats wot it sounds like to me.
      yea…inshallah he becomes a muslim, like eveyone else in the world.

5. Mujahideen Ryder December 13th, 2006 at 10:41 am

Bint Muhammad on December 13, 2006 at 10:35 am said:

hmm, to me it sounds like from his comment

‘I don’t believe in religious separatism’

then again i cud be wrong, but thats wot it sounds like to me.
      yea…inshallah he becomes a muslim, like eveyone else in the world.

you forgot to finish the rest of the quote: “and I don’t believe that the twin towers getting knocked down means all Muslims are bad.”

6. Nathalie December 13th, 2006 at 11:56 am

this is a really good comment u guys should appreciate it instead of being babies and saying this and that. he definetly isnt saying anything about muslims being allowed in hajj or not. hes talking about the twin towers. please read the quote over again.

7. Nathalie December 13th, 2006 at 11:58 am

he has a really long neck in the pic doesnt he? lolz

8. Sulayman December 13th, 2006 at 2:05 pm

French troops DID enter Mecca, because an armed group took the pilgrims hostage in the masjid-al-haram and their demands were against the Saudi government. (It’s said the leader, Juhayman al-Oteibi, claimed to be the mahdi and demanded everyone swear baiyyah to him.) The Saudi government was unable to deal with them, and had to allow foreign troops in to stop them. They sent the French troops in using the concealed entrances to the masjid (the BinLaden group was doing the renovations for it), and supposedly they were all “converted” before they entered. (methinks they were all told to repeat the kalimah out loud and then go inside.)

9. Sulayman December 13th, 2006 at 2:08 pm

Will Smith turns down Tom Cruise’s Scientology bid

He says, “I’ve talked to Tom about it–(there’s) lots of incredible, wonderful concepts (but, my wife) Jada (Pinkett Smith) and I don’t necessarily believe in organized religion.

“I was raised in a Baptist household and my grandmother would get up out of her casket (if I became a Scientologist).”

10. Ayoub December 13th, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Michael Wolfe went to mecca for his documentry of Hajj, and subhanAllah, he became a muslim.

11. [ J u s_m e â„¢ ] December 13th, 2006 at 3:14 pm

Masha’Allah thats hevi! If only more non-muslimz were the same as him !

12. Adele December 13th, 2006 at 5:38 pm

Insha Allah that my boy Will Smith would like to go to Mecca. Maybe if he goes there, to the place, where Islam is shown in its true form of love and peace, he would convert….

Please dont get me wrong guys, alot of muslims show islam in its true form of love and peace, but what better way to experience that inner feeling of love and happiness but to make the ultimate pilgrammage in the world……

13. madona December 13th, 2006 at 7:53 pm

who knows..he could already be starting his transition to becoming a muslim..i bet in early 1979 no body would have thought Cat stevens was exploring islam. !!!

14. unknown December 13th, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Non-Muslims should be allowed in the Haram, this is the majority opinion of the madhabs except the Hanbali madhab.

15. Nahwa Sarf December 14th, 2006 at 4:48 am

You know mates, its so special for it just to be Muslims in Makkah tul Mukaramah, a place where we’re all together, united. There’s no other place on earth where a muslim can feel more at home and i think that effect would be spoilt be allowing all kinds of disbelievers to enter. Almost like tainting the purity of the Haraam al Sharif. I think MR. Smith should first go check out Jumah salaat at the masaajid, thats kinda like seeing Muslims at haj, all doing the same thing. Inshallah, i hope he become a good muslim because that might bring a lot of his fans too islam too.

16. SaleAH December 14th, 2006 at 11:55 am

I agree with Nahwa Sarf, Makkah Mukaramah is the Holiest, Purest place on the face of the earth, there is no reason non-believers should be allowed within the cities boundaries, second, Jumah salat is a great starting point for any non muslim thinking about converting or even just learning of Islam, the unity and grandeur of the jamawat is truly striking, and that way he knows the worth of Hajj, and how many thousands of times bigger and more telling it is.

17. AnonyMouse December 14th, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Insha’Allah he’ll accept Islam… and sooner rather than later!
      May Allah grant him Hidaayah, ameen!

18. unknown December 15th, 2006 at 1:27 am

previous quotes:

“i think that effect would be spoilt be allowing all kinds of disbelievers to enter”

“there is no reason non-believers should be allowed within the cities boundaries”

it is unfortunate people use this tone of language. again, the “majority” of scholars allow it, who are you? They have more wisdom than you, who are you to say otherwise? it’s one thing to have an opinion, but it must be based on substance. as mentioned before, we had to call the “Kaffir French Army” to save our Ka’bah from the fake Mehdi & his army “in” the Haram, why were they allowed then?

19. Fatal Skillz December 15th, 2006 at 6:48 pm

he’s practically doing the same thing Malcolm X did, dont forget he did play Mohamme dAli in the movie ALI, if he turns Muslim then Mashalla, if he dont turn muslim may Allah guide him, but hten he wud have to leave Jada Pinket Smith, lol if he turns muslim check otu the rootes, SMith is married to Tupacs Best friend, and Tupacs brother is Muslim, well he was till he was killed by Napoleans cuzzin

20. anonymous December 16th, 2006 at 1:55 pm

I think when someone earlier said that “non-believers” shouldn’t be allowed within the city’s boundaries, they had a valid point. It’s not so much of a superiority complex where Muslims should feel as though Non Muslims are less worthy, it’s just that I think a lot of problems would arise; it’d become some sort of a tourist attraction and a lot of people would want to come regardless of how they felt about their own spiritual matters, it’d just be something cool to see. I’m sure there’d also be a lot of people who’d want to go,like Will Smith, who really wanted to gain something from it, but what about the others? Is there an efficient, practical way to monitor and screen intentions? I don’t think so, Allah is the Ultimate judge. Haha, I don’t know I guess it gets pretty complicated but I just think that to allow anyone to come in, something about the sanctity of the place would be lost for Muslims.

21. Fatal Skillz December 16th, 2006 at 7:12 pm

this dusnt concern me right?

22. ahhhhhh December 16th, 2006 at 9:44 pm

it will be nice if he become muslim
      i hope he becoms one inshallah

23. Salahadeen January 3rd, 2007 at 3:36 am

In reguards to Mujahideenryder’s reply.. “And non-Muslims have already entered Mecca, I think it as the early 70s where the Saudi government called on French troops to come help end a rebellion or something. I forget exactly what happened. It was very weird though. ” Its true they entered Mecca.. but are they allowed? No. This rule was put into effect during the time of the Prohet Muhammad (saw)… no Saudi “king” has the right to disobey RasoolAllah.

24. TenThirteen February 14th, 2007 at 2:46 am

Why is it that Islam, a religion which came after Christianity, states things about it as being the true religion when it came after Christianity and boasts of things Jesus and the Bible CLEARLY states as being false. Jesus said, “there will come a time when those who kill you, will think that they are serving My Father. But their fruit shows that they neither know Me nor My Father.”

*Doesn’t Islam as taught by Mohammad teach exactly that? Infact the Koran teaches that Allah is the same God of the Bible but the people of the Book(Bible) no longer remained faithful to Him so God forsook them. Also by the way in the final book of the Bible wer see that many of the saints–believers in Jesus Christ as well as the biological descendents of Jacob/Israel were killed by beheading. *Which group ONLY persecutes them in such a way? The adherents of Islam . . . ONLY these!

25. TenThirteen February 14th, 2007 at 3:00 am

*Doesn’t Islam as taught by Mohammad do exactly that? Infact the Koran teaches that Allah is the same God of the Bible but the people of the Book(Bible) no longer remained faithful to Him so God forsook them. By the way in the final book of the Bible, we see that many of the saints/believers in Jesus Christ, as well as the biological descendents of Jacob/Israel were killed by beheading. *Which group ONLY persecutes them in such a way? The adherents of Islam . . . are the ONLY group in the world!

Pray HONESTLY THIS FROM YOUR HEART: “God, I grew up in a Muslim household. Many Christians grew up in a Christian household. If Islam as taught by Mohammad is what you want for mankind reveal this to me. If not, reveal this to me. But let it be that I follow You because I honestly sought an answer from You. So that no one can honestly say that I follow one religion instead of another because I grew up and was raised in a household that taught these beliefs. Also I too will have myself convinced beyond any possible doubt. Show me the truth in such a way that I will know once and for all. Thank you.”

26. Nameless March 2nd, 2007 at 9:25 pm

What the heck are you doing here?

27. sonia March 14th, 2007 at 12:54 pm

well not letting non-muslims into a whole city is somewhat exclusive is it not.

28. Munira September 27th, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Sallaam,
      What’s the obsession with people citing celebrities as wanting to become Muslim or not, InshAllah if Allah guides them then Allaahu Akbar, if not then so be it. Do you really find it refreshing when they say these things, they do also tell all their fans that they love them without ever seeing them! My point is celebrities will say anything for their image! He wasn’t going to say, look I don’t like Muslims because ofcourse that’s not the image he wants to portray! Alhamdullilah if he wants to become a Muslim or if he simply thinks Muslims aren’t evil! But we don’t need to make a mention of EVERY single celebrity who says something that can be interpreted as I want to become a Muslim! InshAllah Allah guides whom he wills!
      That’s just something that was bothering me, sorry if I was a little rude!
      Sallaam

29. kay December 13th, 2007 at 4:06 pm

salam ppl! it nice to har Wil Smiths intentions to visit Mecca! Insha allah this dream will come true!

30. hajj institute mecca June 3rd, 2008 at 7:41 pm

[…] of Hajj, and subhanAllah, …. 129 Imam Suhaib Webb Joins Al-Maghrib institute Updates: 1 122 …http://www.mujahideenryder.net/2006/12/12/will-smith-says-i-want-to-go-on-the-hajj-to-mecca/How does one prepare to go for Hajj?The annual Islamic pilgrimage Hajj draws crowds of nearly 3 […]

31. susan June 14th, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Can a non muslim wife go to hajj with her husband?

32. MR June 15th, 2008 at 11:50 am

susan – That is a very interesting question. It would be best to seek the answer to this question from qualified and trustworthy scholars. I advise you to check out SunniPath.com’s QA library or IslamOnline.net’s Fatwa library.

It would also better to contact some scholars that have websites like Imam Suhaib Webb – http://www.suhaibwebb.com or Shaykh Faraz Rabbani at http://traditionalist.wordpress.com/

33. mohammed November 24th, 2008 at 3:40 pm

it is good that will smith wants to come and do hajj but it is important for him to understand that hajj is for believers and those that are sincere in their hearts about wanting to know the truth irrespective of what they were brought up to believe in.Mecca is the holliest city in the islamic world and all muslims are expected to jeaulousely guard and protect its sacredness.He must understand what islam is first before embarking on such a journey.Islam is home to every truh seeking soul,therefore those who seek for the truth must approach it with an open mind keeing aside whatever prejudice they might have or harbor

34. dousha January 14th, 2009 at 11:48 am

wooooow…that’s greaat…god bless him…that’s no because he became a muslim(cause am not sure of that) but i like his way of talking about islam with a good way…he understood the meaning of islam and being muslim…GOD BLESS HIM… al hejj fi mecca will make him love islam more and more…wishing him the success in his life and to live with this way and this thoughts and insha’allah he will get every good things(même s’il n’etait pas musulman ca suffit qu’il a bien compris le mot islam et il parle tres bien de l’islam et les muslms et il a compris que islam est un great religion that from his nessecite the love ,peace ,freedom and trustfully

35. fatah February 1st, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Forbidden places are racism and lack of open minds