A Few Hadith on Dhikr

• Filed under: Islam
  • Date: Mar 23,2007 | 02:07 AM

I found this on Yursil’s blog and I had to post this.

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 1, Book 12, Number 802:
Narrated Abu Ma’bad:

(the freed slave of Ibn ‘Abbas) Ibn ‘Abbas told me, “In the lifetime of the Prophet it was the custom to celebrate Allah (SWT)’s praises aloud after the compulsory congregational prayers.” Ibn ‘Abbas further said, “When I heard the Dhikr, I would learn that the compulsory congregational prayer had ended.”

Sahih Muslim
Book 4, Hadith Number 1211:

Ibn ‘Abbas reported: Dhikr (mentioning the name of Allah (SWT)) in a loud voice after obligatory prayers was (a common practice) during the lifetime of the Apostle of Allah (SWT) (may peace be upon him) ; and when I heard that I came to knew that they (the people) had finished the prayer.

Sahih Muslim
Book 35, Number 6505:

Abu Huraira reported Allah (SWT)’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying Allah (SWT) has mobile (squads) of angels, who have no other work (to attend to but) to follow the assemblies of Dhikr and when they find such assemblies in which there is Dhikr (of Allah (SWT)) they sit in them and some of them surround the others with their wings till the space between them and the sky of the world is fully covered, and when they disperse (after the assembly of Dhikr is adjourned) they go upward to the heaven and Allah (SWT), the Exalted and Glorious, asks them although He is best informed about them: Where have you come from?

They say: We come from Thine servants upon the earth who had been glorifying Thee (reciting Subhan Allah (SWT)), uttering Thine Greatness (saying Allah (SWT) o-Akbar) and uttering Thine Oneness (La ilaha ill Allah (SWT)) and praising Thee (uttering al-Hamdu Lillah) and begging of Thee.

Be would say: What do they beg of Me?

They would say: They beg of Thee the Paradise of Thine.

He (God) would say: Have they seen My Paradise?

They said: No, our Lord.

He would say: (What it would be then) if they were to see Mine Paradise?

They (the angels) said: They seek Thine protection. He (the Lord) would say: Against what do they seek protection of Mine?

They (the angels) would say: Our Lord, from the Hell-Fire.

He (the Lord) would say: Have they seen My Fire?

They would say: No.

He (the Lord) would say: What it would be if they were to see My Fire?

They would say: They beg of Thee forgiveness.

He would say: I grant pardon to them, and confer upon them what they ask for and grant them protection against which they seek protection.

They (the angels) would again say: Our Lord, there is one amongst them such and such simple servant who happened to pass by (that assembly) and sat there along with them (who had been participating in that assembly).

He (the Lord) would say: I also grant him pardon, for they are a people the seat-fellows of whom are in no way unfortunate.

Yursil asked me to advertise a Zikr event at Rutgers on Sat. March 31 at 6 PM. For more information click here.

• 11 Responses for "A Few Hadith on Dhikr"

1. mirajmom( mehnaz miraj gibson) March 23rd, 2007 at 9:24 am

Salam,

We need your help. Please inform your readers of the case of Dr. Sami Al-Arian. He is the professor who was fired ( yes, although he was tenured) for supporting terrorist causes. He has been on a hunger strike for 51 days. He has lsot over 55 pounds. He is in a medical prison in Butner, NC. The media will not provide coverage. His case is a travisty of justice. Here are two links to give you factual infromation.
      ://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn03032007.html

2. Ghareeb March 23rd, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh,
      I just wanted to mention that: Bro MR, I love you for the sake of Allah ta’ala so much. May Allah bless you always, give you the best in the Dunyah and in the Akhierah and make you to one of his most beloved Abdaal. Ameen. I love you and I love your blog. That’s all I wanted to say. See ya.

3. Mujahideen Ryder March 23rd, 2007 at 4:22 pm

Ghareeb on March 23, 2007 at 3:36 pm said:

Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh,

JazakAllah khair. May Allah (swt) grant you jannah! Ameen.

4. Yursil March 23rd, 2007 at 7:07 pm

as-salamu’alaikum,

Thanks for the event mention, JazahkallahKhair!

5. ayoub March 24th, 2007 at 5:35 am

Make dua for our brothers and sisters in Iraq… lest we forget about them.

If you don’t want to cry, I suggest you not see this video.

6. ayoub March 24th, 2007 at 5:46 am

BTW

7. ayoub March 24th, 2007 at 5:47 am

The video is graphic.. not for children for it shows innocent iraqis murdered by U.S. soldiers.

8. Mujahideen Ryder March 24th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

ayoub on March 24, 2007 at 5:35 am said:

Make dua for our brothers and sisters in Iraq… lest we forget about them.

If you don’t want to cry, I suggest you not see this video.

SubhanAllah! I just posted it. JazakAllah! The world needs to see this!

9. Ibraheem March 24th, 2007 at 3:08 pm

[sarcasm] They must have been preforming innovation [/sarcasm]

10. Mujahideen Ryder March 24th, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Ibraheem on March 24, 2007 at 3:08 pm said:

[sarcasm] They must have been preforming innovation [/sarcasm]

😀 haha

11. AbdulHasib March 31st, 2007 at 10:25 am

yeah subhanAllah another Sunnah a lot of people don’t adhere to..

JazaakaAllahukhairan for the reminder.

And bro Ibrahim,
      it’s not proper ettiquette to mock something that may cause you to not drink from the hand of the Nabi on yawm al Qiyyamah.. I hear a lot of people use that kind of language when it comes to something as dangerous as an innovation.

Insha’aAllah I understand there may be certain muslims that are overzealous when advising regarding certain things and it may cause us to feel spited due to the manner they advise us. Insha’aAllah we should have husn adh-dhunn when dealing with their response and see that anyone who wishes to advise us is doing so with OUR best interests in mind..

JazaakaAllahukhairan again for the reminder..