Endorse The Amman Message – 1 million people wanted

• Filed under: Islam
  • Date: Mar 26,2007 | 01:09 PM

Sidi Salman emailed me this message from Shaykh Faraz Rabbani to spread this message to the entire Ummah:

Invitation to endorse the Amman Message online

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

Dear Friend,

As-Salamu alaykum. We hope this message finds you well. In November 2004, King Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein of Jordan launched the Amman Message, a declaration aimed at clarifying the true nature of Islam and the nature of true Islam to the world. It is a message of devotion to God, love of the neighbor, goodwill, moderation and peace. Since then, the Amman Message has come to be epitomized in three major juridical and doctrinal points, each crucial to addressing the problems the Islamic world faces today.

• 1. The great traditional schools of jurisprudence, theology, and spirituality are valid from the point of view of Islam, and the followers of these schools, which include both Sunni and Shi‘i denominations, are all Muslims. Islam has fundamental tenets but is also diverse.
  • 2. It is impermissible to declare any Muslim so defined as an unbeliever/apostate (a practice called takfir).
  • 3. Only those with the proper moral and intellectual qualifications, and the proper methodology, may issue fatwas (religious edicts).

Since they were first introduced, these three points have been recognized and ratified universally, through fatwas and official statements, in meetings of the highest and most recognized authorities and scholars in Islamic law, from all denominations and schools of thought all over the world. This is a unique historical event. The statements and signatures from these religious leaders can be see on www.ammanmessage.com.

These three points are vital for the future of the Islamic world. We suffer from disunity and discord, and must reaffirm our unity as an Islamic ummah. We suffer from wounds and ignorant prejudice which would take us into conflict with many of those who would live at peace with us. We must denounce the practice of takfir (accusing Muslims of apostasy for interpretations and opinions different from ours), which too often opens the door to terrible crimes against our own brothers and sisters. Moreover, all such atrocities committed in the name of Islam are traceable to the fatwa of men totally unqualified, morally and intellectually, to issue one. It is thus imperative that the ummah speak with one voice in reaffirming true Islam.

We invite you to add your voice to this unique and historic international Islamic consensus. Please visit www.ammanmessage.com, where you can read more about the Amman Message and find many useful documents and links. Under ENDORSE you can add your name to the list of Muslims worldwide who have endorsed and supported the three points. Your endorsement is important for all our futures.

Yours Sincerely,
The Amman Message Committee,

Taken from here.

Some major scholars that have endorsed this message are Mufti Taqi `Uthmani, Shaykh Nuh Ha Meem Keller, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, Shaykh `Abd al Hakim Murad, Shaykh Faraz, Shaykh Habib `Ali, Shaykh Habib `Umar and others. To see the full list of scholars, politicians, professionals and other famous Muslims in the Muslim world who have endorsed this message click here.

• 11 Responses for "Endorse The Amman Message – 1 million people wanted"

1. Ahmad March 26th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

So, how is this Amman Message going to affect the politics of Jordan and the people in Jordan?

Bigger question is: How is Jordan going to get all the money to pay for this program?

2. mirajmom( mehnaz miraj gibson) March 26th, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Salam,

My question is this: Is this a way to be more moderate. Jordan has been very pro- American/Isareli. Is the king not half-American? Amazing, Jordon is very quiet on many issues. Ahmad , does that answer your question?
      Forgive me, but I belive judgement belongs to Allah, I do not know the contents of the hearts of others, I will not practice condeming Muslims…
      I welcome responses please…if I am wrong let me know…Thank -you.

3. Ahmad March 26th, 2007 at 3:38 pm

True. Jordan simply will not get involved with Middle Eastern affairs, especially after the Israel Jordan peace was made.

I would see Jordan between the Coalition including Israel and other Arab nations involved with the Middle Eastern conflicts.
      The USA is pushing Jordan about it’s border issues but it is observed that Jordan supports resistant entities such as Hezbollah and Iran although silent on those issues.

4. Anwer March 26th, 2007 at 4:51 pm

salam,

I dunno, i feel like all of this seems like common sense to me. The Qur’an has already defined what Islam is, and who the muslims are. We have One Rabb, One Final Messenger, One Qiblah, One Deen….now, let’s move on…it’s time our Ummah concentrated on other things. If you sincerely work in the path of Allah, you will soon begin to realize who the true muslims are. A true Muslim is the one who helps you in your work to please Allah and does not work to destroy it or destroy the Ummah of Muhammad (SAAW). May Allah (swt) give us all Tawfeeq to work towards spreading His deen and, if we must, engage in the healthy ikhtilaf that is encouraged in Islam, not the kind of ikhtilaf that divides and destroys Islam. May Allah (swt) also give Tawfeeq and bless these wonderful scholars with a high rank in Jannah, what they are doing is definitely a step in the right direction…these scholars are surely of those ‘Ulema who are on Haqq and Huda, and they are truly those who are “the inheritors of the prophets” (hadeeth – Rasulullah, SAW)

-salam

5. Shazan March 26th, 2007 at 6:29 pm

mirajmom( mehnaz miraj gibson) on March 26, 2007 at 2:23 pm said:

Salam,

I welcome responses please…if I am wrong let me know…Thank -you.

I dont see anything wrong with Americans/israelis supporting this. If they want to end the sectarian killings in Iraq, then thats good for them.
      I think this is a good cause to support no matter what angle you look at it from.

Plus, for you to be correct, everyone else who signed it has to be wrong (or at the very least, uninformed). I sincerely hope that this is not the case, becuase some of those people are scholars I really respect and look up to. People like Mufti Taqi Usmani, Mufti Abdullah bin Bayyah, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf etc etc etc are a priceless benefit to this Ummah.

Allahu-Alam
      M’Salama

6. mehnaz miraj gibson March 26th, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Salam,,
      Anwar please be so kind as to define what other things are.. we Muslims are the targets of the western ideology to propogate capitalism at the expense of Muslim blood. I agree we need to remember we are one. This website allows us to remember we are one. I think we are in the process of shifting wheat from the chaff..A quality of Islam I love is the need to be practical..we are not all evoloved to be sufi’s and they too would fight that which hates Islam…that is our duty.
      Too, we need to expand our horizons as the US’s greed for hegemony has placed us on an international arean and now the choice for Muslims in AMerica is simple: am I Muslim first or American first. I pray, Inshalla, all Muslims know. I read an article today about a young vet. returning from Iraq who is homeless..the sad part was he is a Muslim who fought in Afgansitan and Iraq and now is a mental case…We need to be clear about who we are individually before we can become a collective umah. Thank you.

7. Please endorse the Amman message at Congregation of Muslim Bloggers March 27th, 2007 at 6:05 am

[…] Bloggers are accumulating support for the Amman message ( 1 2 & 3 ). In case you are not aware of the Amman message […]

8. MR Fan March 27th, 2007 at 10:42 am

Ahmad on March 26, 2007 at 3:38 pm said:

mirajmom( mehnaz miraj gibson) on March 26, 2007 at 2:23 pm said:

Salam,

I welcome responses please…if I am wrong let me know…Thank -you.

Well this proves you guys wrong:

Jordan’s Prince seesm very involved. He raises some good points.

9. Asma April 3rd, 2007 at 8:37 pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Let’s be clear on something. The man who is pushing for this is a “king” who holds authority over muslim lands and implements non-islamic laws that were designed by colonizers, following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather. The jordanian “royalty” obeys the bidding of the west (recognizing israel, changing sharia-rooted family laws, etc.) and ignores the fardiyya of establishing islamic law.

My point is that, like all the leaders of muslim countries today, “King” Abdullah is a non-scholar who holds power over the appointment of the country’s religious scholars. Of course such leaders love the idea of muslims only taking fataawa from those who are endowed with religious authority – because they _decide_ who takes that authority. No scholars who disagree with the governments in muslim lands stay in positions of authority for long, whether or not they hold a high status amongst other scholars.

Nothing in the 3 points of the declaration is inherently wrong. But muslims need to be aware of how governments can use such a declaration against them. We have no reason to think the best of rulers who implement systems of disbelief over the muslims.

10. UmmZaid April 8th, 2007 at 9:46 am

Salaam ‘Alaikum

It’s funny how the Amman Message posts are consistently turning into discussions about the politics of the Middle East, Jordan in particular (and to disclose: I live in Jordan and am a Jordanian citizen), yet we are ignoring the meat of the message. It is the content that matters here. Perhaps it is easier to be distant from the point of the message when you are living in the US or the UK.

After all, you don’t have relatives and neighbors (next door neighbors, downstairs neighbors, and many others just in my own building in my case) who have had to flee Iraq so that they might simply be allowed to live because of the takfir epidemic there. Perhaps because you do not spend any time on the phone with a mother and father who are afraid they will be killed next if they don’t leave, and afraid that they will lose everything they’ve worked for their whole lives and end up paupers if they do — as one of our cousins does. Perhaps because most people do not have relatives who were takfired and executed on the streets of Iraq, as we do, for being from the wrong sect. Perhaps because you are not dealing first hand with the effects of the takfiri gang war that is going on next door and threatens to spread across the Middle East. The declaration was issued in an attempt to stop this madness in its tracks.

We can dither now and talk about ME politics — a worthy discussion, I’m sure, even though it’s been talked and talked and talked and still things are the same here — or we can hold our noses over some of the signatories and sign on to show these people we do not accept what they do in our name and to remind the rest of the people in the Ummah, esp. here in the Arab world, that we will not tolerate this phenomena becoming widespread and acceptable. We are at a critical point, not only in the Middle East, but in the Ummah as well. Yes, Arabs are a minority of Muslims, but what’s going on here can have Ummah-wide reverberations. Right now, I’m sorry to tell you, there are things that are more important than who signed a treaty to who or how much “American ancestry” one king has (he’s half British, btw, not American). That is not to say that these issues aren’t more important, but it’s rather like picking at the scab while the amputated leg gushes blood.

Just my two cents — or two qirsh, should I say?

11. Endorse the Amman Message of Muslim Unity | Global Intifada December 14th, 2007 at 4:16 am

[…] Mujahideen Ryder […]