I was listening to Dr. Zakir Naik who was discussing the similarities between Islam and Hinduism in a lecture done somewhere in India, and he was discussing the historical etymology of the words ‘hindu’ and ‘hinduism’.

The word ‘hindu’ is actually a Persian/Muslim word used to define the people of the Indian Sub-continent. The word ‘Hinduism’ was used to define the religion of the people in India by the British. So what was it before the Persians, Muslims and British called these people Hindus? After doing some research and consulting Shaykh Google and Imam Wikipedia I came upon this Hindu site discussing the origin of the name ‘hindu’:

When the Muslims came to the sub continent they called the people living in the region as Hindustanis to distinguish them from the foreign Muslims. Subsequently when the British established their rule, they started calling the local religions collectively under the name of Hinduism.

Source: Vishnumandir

It amazes me that these people call themselvse Hindus and call their religion Hinduism, yet it isn’t even defined by their own people, their own language or even their own gods.

Learning this makes me thank Allah that I am Muslim. Allah has defined this religion as Islam and it’s followers Muslims. Till to this day everyone uses these terms. Alhamdulillah!

• 18 Responses for "You Know Hinduism Isn’t Divine When It’s Name Comes From A Non-Hindu Source"

1. :) April 15th, 2007 at 11:03 pm

It amazes me that after blogging for so long and when you are about to graduate college from a top American University you still can’t distiguish between the proper uses of their/there/they’re.

2. pogge April 16th, 2007 at 5:29 am

*shudders* it amazes me that i have actually just read this post. sorry, but it comes across as rather bigoted. if you wanted to criticize hinduism’s beliefs, by all means. but to criticize hinduism because hindus use a non-original name to describe themselves seems to amount to nothong more than a cheapshot. (perhaps it’s akin to criticizing “traditional muslims” because you won’t find the phrase “traditional muslims” in the original sources.)

from my limited understanding and a quick internet search, it seems to me that hindus didn’t have a name for their religion, because they didn’t need one. they didn’t conceive of their beliefs as a “religion,” but it was just the way or the philosophy of the people of india. obviously interaction with muslims/the west led to a need to define their way of life as a “religion,” a concept probably foreign to the hindus. though many accepted the term “hindu,” it seems that some people still have issues with it (see for example http://www.stephen-knapp.com/about_the_name_Hindu.htm). some prefer to call it Sanatana Dharma, “the eternal law.”

what any of this has to do with hinduism being divine or not, i have no idea.

3. Mujahideen Ryder April 16th, 2007 at 9:21 am

pogge on April 16, 2007 at 5:29 am said:

what any of this has to do with hinduism being divine or not, i have no idea.

So why did you read the post? LOL

Peace out ‘pogge’

PS – this is a blog, not an encylcopedia.

4. pogge April 16th, 2007 at 4:28 pm

haha “not an encyclopedia” 😛

sorry if i was a bit harsh. it’s just that i usually expect people to make sense, whether they’re blogging or writing encyclopedia entries. unless their nonsense is meant to be humourous. anyway, i didn’t really understand your post. your criticism of hinduism seems unfounded. feel free to clarify if you wish.

i think its important to be sensitive to people’s religions, especially if we’re going to expect others to be sensitive to ours.

salaam!

5. Mujahideen Ryder April 16th, 2007 at 10:25 pm

pogge on April 16, 2007 at 4:28 pm said:

haha “not an encyclopedia” 😛

salaam!

I was simply re-stating what Dr. Zakir Naik said. I am not discrediting the religion, but I am just saying that I find it very interesting that Hindus call themselves Hindus and use the term Hinduism to define there religion, but it came from non-Hindu sources.

About the ‘not being Divine’ thing, it’s pretty clear Hinduism is man-made.

6. miftah April 16th, 2007 at 11:34 pm

u haven’t read the upanishads then. Muslims were very interested in studying them, as well as the bhagavad gita.

and who said we always labeled ourselves as muslims? I think the qur’anic usage of the term is a bit different than the fiqhi definition. the qur’an seems to be more concerned with the believers…

7. Scorpius April 18th, 2007 at 1:17 am

About the ‘not being Divine’ thing, it’s pretty clear Hinduism is man-made.

Er, so is Islam.

8. anon April 18th, 2007 at 2:27 am

“Allah has defined this religion as Islam and it’s followers Muslims. Till to this day everyone uses these terms. Alhamdulillah!”

Hmmm, no offense but I’ve never particularly understood that logic. It seems a bit like circular reasoning to me. Kind of like when people say that the Quran is the word of God. How do you know it is the word of God? Because it says so in the Quran.
      How do you know that Allah defines this religion as Islam? Because it says so in the Quran. How do you know the Quran is true? Because Allah says so. How do you know Allah is truly “the” God and speaks the truth? Because it says so in the Quran.

I fail to comprehend.

9. anon April 18th, 2007 at 2:32 am

And cultures across the middle east define themselves by outside non-native terms (ie: the copts, berbers, etc) Because they call themselves by these terms does this mean that they are not what they say they are?

My examples obviously weren’t religious, but I think the same comparisons can be made as you made religiously. Sorry but I’m not really getting your logic in this case :)

10. Mujahideen Ryder April 18th, 2007 at 1:48 pm

anon on April 18, 2007 at 2:27 am said:

I fail to comprehend.

You can’t find hindu or hinduism in there holy books, but you can find Islam and Muslim the Qur’an.

11. Mujahideen Ryder April 18th, 2007 at 1:49 pm

Scorpius on April 18, 2007 at 1:17 am said:

About the ‘not being Divine’ thing, it’s pretty clear Hinduism is man-made.

Er, so is Islam.

Nice proof. (sarcastic)

12. anon April 18th, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Mujahideen Ryder on April 18, 2007 at 1:48 pm said:

Well, you can also find scientology, scientologists, and “Zulu” the supreme commander of the universe in the Book of Scientology or whatever they call it. Does that mean its true and divine? I guess you must think it is since Ron Hubbard clearly received a divinely inspired message from Zulu the Alien king and took the time to name the religion Scientology and name the followers of it Scientologists and name their supreme alien beings Zulu and Zarkwan and whomever else.

Again, not a good logic. Ok, I will now stop harrassing you :)

13. Mujahideen Ryder April 18th, 2007 at 5:18 pm

anon on April 18, 2007 at 4:14 pm said:

Again, not a good logic. Ok, I will now stop harrassing you :)

If it doesn’t make sense for you, that’s fine.

The reason I posted this post was because it increased my faith in God and Islam. That’s all.

14. markit April 21st, 2007 at 8:00 am

Why the hell…ur opening ur mouth when u don’t have any clue, knowledge…and in the process getting screwed by ‘others’…first study,learn analyse things about …say ur islam…

“Let me explain what this site is. It’s a blog. I post things I find interesting, videos, articles, my opinions, my thoughts.

If it doesn’t make sense for you, that’s fine.”

is NO answer… :))

15. Mujahideen Ryder April 21st, 2007 at 1:14 pm

markit on April 21, 2007 at 8:00 am said:

If it doesn’t make sense for you, that’s fine.”

is NO answer… :))

Why you reading this post then?

16. HijabMan April 22nd, 2007 at 12:53 am

Muj, as much as I love you, I’m gonna have to agree with a poster above.. reads like a cheapshot. And many Hindus consider themselves (and I consider them) to be monotheists, fyi.

Believe & Do Good, bro :)

17. Sulayman April 24th, 2007 at 8:40 pm

anon on April 18, 2007 at 2:27 am said:

I fail to comprehend.

It’s actually more complicated than that. When the Quran first was revealed, the people had never heard anything like it. The best poets of then and now couldn’t duplicate the style. Ordinarily when something new comes along, like a whole genre or rap music, a flurry of imitations emerge, but not in the case of the Quran. Miraculosuly, it filled in the gaps of history and religions, and foretold the future. The fact that it came out of the mouth of an illiterate man was what made people convinced it was from God, not just because the book said so.

Also, there are miracles.

18. A Hindu April 18th, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Wow. You insult Hinduism. I am a Hindu, and at least I can ******* tell the difference between “there” and “their.” And at least our religion is on the basis of a culture that slowly evolved, as opposed to the word of some random guy who states that an angel talked to him. Your entire religion could be a lie.