KFC ain’t ‘AK’ for all you ‘AK’ people

• Filed under: Islam, Video
  • Date: Apr 29,2007 | 10:54 AM

To those who don’t know what I mean when I say ‘AK’: basically it means all the Muslims that eat meat at McDonald’s, Burger King, etc. because of the verse in the Qur’an that says the meat of the people of the book (Ahlul Kitab) is permissible to eat (halal).

I think this video is solid evidence that KFC is not halal.

Check out there site: Kentuck Fried Cruelty

Shaykh Hamza Yusuf on meat

“Meat is not a necessity in Shari’ah, and in the old days most Muslims used to eat meat, if they were wealthy, like middle class—once a week on Friday. If they were poor—on the Eids.”

“So traditionally Muslims were semi-vegetarians. The Prophet was, I mean, technically, the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wasallam) was in that category. He was not a meat-eater. Most of his meals did not have meat in them. And the proof of that is clearly in the Muwatta—when Sayyidina Umar says, ‘Beware of meat, because it has an addiction like the addiction of wine.’
And the other hadith in the Muwatta—there is a chapter called ‘Bab al-Laham,’ the chapter of laham, the chapter of meat. Both are from Sayyidina Umar. And Umar, during his khilafa, prohibited people from eating meat two days in a row. He only allowed them to eat [it] every other day. And the khalifa has that right to do that. He did not let people eat meat every day, he saw one man eating meat every day, and he said to him, ‘Every time you get hungry you go out and buy meat? Right? In other words, every time your nafs wants meat, you go out and buy it?’ He said, ‘Yeah, Amir al-Mumineen, ana qaram,’ which in Arabic, ‘qaram’ means ‘I love meat’—he’s a carnivore, he loves meat. And Sayyidina Umar said, ‘It would be better for you to roll up your tummy a little bit so that other people can eat.’”

“Now Umar, if there was a prophet after the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wasallam), it would have been Umar. And that is really verging on prophecy, that statement. Because if you study the modern meat industry, you will find out that a lot of the famine in the world is a direct result of the overconsumption of meat in countries like the United States and Canada and Europe, because the amount of grain needed to produce 1 pound of meat, right, is much greater than the amount you need to produce grain itself. And beef in particular—I really recommend Rifkin’s book Beyond Beef. It’s an extraordinary book. And it’s interesting ‘Baqara’ is also a chapter of the Qur’an (’kill the cow’), because beef-eating societies just have massive impact on the environment, on natural resources, on all these things. And traditionally the Muslims were not cow-eaters, they were sheep and lamb [-eaters] when they did eat meat.”

Source: Andalus

• 46 Responses for "KFC ain’t ‘AK’ for all you ‘AK’ people"

1. Omar April 29th, 2007 at 1:55 pm

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim.
      Assalamaualaykum.

That was greatly and deeply disturbing. May Allah (swt) prevent us from eating food that is halal and that was founded upon unnecessary cruelty to animals. Mufti Taqi Usmani recently wrote a comprehensive work on the issue of animal slaughter in Islam which can be purchased here: http://www.whitethreadpress.com/publications/animal_slaughter.htm

2. Alex April 29th, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Oh snap!
      Did you just bite my post?

3. Monir April 29th, 2007 at 4:48 pm

I am shocked at how cruel KFC is with something that made them who they are today. Inshallah things will change for the better.

4. Mujahideen Ryder April 29th, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Alex on April 29, 2007 at 4:46 pm said:

Oh snap!
      Did you just bite my post?

SubhanAllah! Sidi Alex, I swaer, I didn’t know you posted this. I just saw hits on Google.

5. Alex April 29th, 2007 at 5:04 pm

HAHAA that’s great.

I wasn’t/wouldn’t have mad at all btw.
      I’m glad you posted this. You get way more hits and it’s an important point.

6. bambino April 29th, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Do some Muslims in NA seriously east meat from KFC, Burger King etc?

7. Mujahideen Ryder April 29th, 2007 at 6:01 pm

bambino on April 29, 2007 at 5:35 pm said:

Do some Muslims in NA seriously east meat from KFC, Burger King etc?

Plenty! It’s permissible. So we shouldn’t hate on them.

8. bambino April 29th, 2007 at 6:06 pm

plenty? wow!

9. unknown April 29th, 2007 at 11:09 pm

Who said eating meat from KFC, Burger King, etc, was Halal? We live in a Multi-cultural society, therefore the butcher can be anyone (Hindu, Buddhist, an Atheist, etc). When we look at fatwas of scholars (like Shaykh Qardawi on this topic), unfortunately, he is not as informed as scholars living here who understand our society. Meat from these places is clearly Haram. There are rules that Christians use to follow when slaughtering, they do not follow that now (I know some so-called Christian farmers). There are many Muslims who do not even follow the rules of slaughter, and we actually think others will care? The only food outside of Zabiha/Halal that I would try is Kosher meat. I give the Orthodox Jewish Rabbis a lot of respect for holding on to their deen, and keeping this tradition. Hopefully we can do the same.

10. Word of Wisdom April 29th, 2007 at 11:26 pm

Assalamualaikum,

Jazakallah brother, for posting this extremely relevant film. At first I didn’t know why Pam was the host, but when I watched the video I found that she was speaking about a very important topic on animal abuse which showed how cruel humans can be. It’s little wonder so many people have become vegetarians. I left fast food some time ago and I recommend that others should as well. I we can, we should get our own chicken and beef from organic farms and sacrifice them in a Halal manner before consumption. Peace and thanks again.

11. Mujahideen Ryder April 30th, 2007 at 12:29 am

unknown on April 29, 2007 at 11:09 pm said:

Salafis also say it’s halal. Check islamqa.com, I think.

But we shouldn’t really be too concerend about eating food, because all the scholars say wearing a beard is obligatory, but yet so many brothers are clean shaven.

12. Mujahideen Ryder April 30th, 2007 at 12:30 am

Word of Wisdom on April 29, 2007 at 11:26 pm said:

Assalamualaikum,

Yeah, she shocked me too, but hey everyone has some good in them. 😀

13. bingregory April 30th, 2007 at 1:06 am

Assalamu alaykum,

A few points: KFC in Malaysia, and I believe other muslim countries, is halal halal, not AK “halal”. Funny enough, KFC and Pizza Hut were in some ways responsible for getting halal laws and regs codified, in Malaysia at least. Why can’t they behave better at home?

As for the argument about whether AK meat is halal or not, those allowing it should admit it is a rukhsa and strive for zabihah if they are able.

This comment is awesome and anyone serious about this in the Southeast Michigan area can do so at my parents’ organic farm.

14. Doa April 30th, 2007 at 6:34 am

Could someone send me links or books to read about the differing opinions about eating ‘AK’ meat? I know some say kosher is allowed, and others say it isn’t unless there are no other options. I didn’t know the eating of BK and Mcdonalds meat was considered halal by anyone. I just want to know so i can be more understanding of people who do this. JazakAllah khair.

15. YoussefAlMasry April 30th, 2007 at 9:13 am

Alsalamualaikum,

The fiqhi ruling on this issue is that since the meat of Ahlul Kitab is permisible for us, and since we live in a country that is predominantly Christian and Jewish, then we can assume that the meat is halal unless we have specific evidence to the contrary (which is what MR has alluded to).

Now, I was strictly “zabihah only” for a while. These days, I will still buy raw meat only from explicitly-halal stores, however I will also from time-to-time have a sandwich that includes meat from Subway or some variation thereof (98% of the time the meat will be chicken or turkey; I don’t know what it is, but I have trouble eating burgers or steaks that aren’t zabihah).

That being said, I think Bingregory’s notion-regarding the issue of “AK” meat as a rukhsa-is closest to the position I have adopted. And, in any case, McDonald’s is nasty, halal or not! :)~

Meat, Music, Money, Marriage–we just can’t seem to talk enough about these topics, huh? 😀

16. shab April 30th, 2007 at 11:27 am

yeah Sheikh Yasir Qadhi said in LOG class that ‘kosher’ places are halal since they are slaughtered in the name of god however same cant be said about mcdonald and burger king. But i was surprised he said that because we have halal food available in every corner of NY so why even bother eating kosher. We tend to forget that Allah swt says to eat halal and TAYYIB…i dont even want to think about how Tayyib is food available out there- yuck

17. YoussefAlMasry April 30th, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Speaking of halal food in the city, there is an AWESOME Mexican restaurant in Midtown not far from the Chicken Guy :)

18. Zhilaal April 30th, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Yeah, we had a debate on this sort of chicken farming in the UK recently, but it all boiled down to the fact that these unnatural methods have been developed to meet the immense demand of poultry-eaters who want it cheap. So, really it’s not just they who are to blame, organic farming is too costly and produces way less then needed.

Anyway, I don’t know about the AK issue, but I’m sure what IS haraam is emblazoning Pam Anderson on for all to see. O you who believe, lower your gaze!

Salaam.

19. shab April 30th, 2007 at 5:36 pm

YoussefAlMasry on April 30, 2007 at 1:26 pm said:

where? 56th and 3rd?what is the name of the restaurant? i want to try mexican food- ive tried it but only vege-

20. shab April 30th, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Mujahideen Ryder on April 30, 2007 at 12:29 am said:

Salafis also say it’s halal. Check islamqa.com, I think.

why shouldnt be we concerned when we r oblicated to eat pure food?

P.s.Dont say that in front of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf as he is a very ardent preacher of eating the right kind of food..in almost all of his lectures, he mentions the importance of eating halal and pure food0

21. Mujahideen Ryder April 30th, 2007 at 5:54 pm

shab on April 30, 2007 at 5:42 pm said:

why shouldnt be we concerned when we r oblicated to eat pure food?

I mean to say we shouldn’t be concerned with condemning those who choose not to eat good food.

What does Shaykh Hamza have to do with this? I didn’t say anything about how it’s bad. I eat my mom’s food 90% of the time. 😀 You are right Shaykh Hamza talks about eating pure food a lot. Pure, healthy food gives you a pure, healthy mind. Shaykh Hamza has that! mashaAllah!

22. Mujahideen Ryder April 30th, 2007 at 6:16 pm

YoussefAlMasry on April 30, 2007 at 1:26 pm said:

Do you have to walk down some stairs form the street sidewalk to get in the place. I think i been there.

23. Loud Silence April 30th, 2007 at 10:02 pm

No one seems to understand what “Ahlul Kitab” truly means. The meat of the Jews and Christians is only allowed if it meets the prerequisite of having been slaughtered in the name of God in a clean way through bloodletting). We can be sure that most Christians do not go through the trouble, and instead slaughter by use of machinery. This type of meat is Haram.

As for Jewish meat, the majority of them still do slaughter in the name of God by hand. This is why people say Kosher meat is Halal.

Most Muslims use the “AK” argument because they don’t want to go through the trouble of finding truly Halal food and want a larger variety (college campuses obviously cater less to the Muslim population enrolled).

The Prophet (SAW) ate meat in moderation because of the lack of money to have it more often. He never mentioned anything about having it every few days and such.

24. Muhammed April 30th, 2007 at 10:48 pm

All those who are putting Ahle Kitab meat into their stomachs are putting Haram into their bodies. May Allah guide them.

25. IK April 30th, 2007 at 11:09 pm

To say that these places are halaal, and that muslims can eat from them is a false statement..”the meat sold in western supermarkets or served by Christians will be unlawful as they generally do not fulfil the conditions of a valid slaughtering and that they are usually not true Christians. Kosher meat, would be however, in itself permitted. Top scholars across the Muslim world, including Shaykh Qaradawi himself say that Muslims should avoid Kosher meat due to the Zionist oppression in Palestine”- Sunnipath..

KFC was caught in this documentary, im pretty sure Mcdonalds n the rest arent any better…

26. IK April 30th, 2007 at 11:11 pm

More Importantly…What you eat does effect your Soul, dua, and fate…it is a big deal, and anyone filling themselves with this is really jeopardizing themself.

27. IK April 30th, 2007 at 11:13 pm

Muhammed: ahle kitab meat is ok, if it really is ahle kitab, and thus fulfils the conditions for zabiha.

28. Omar H May 1st, 2007 at 2:49 am

Brother Youssef you stated “And since we live in a country that is predominantly Christian and Jewish, then we can assume that the meat is halal unless we have specific evidence to the contrary (which is what MR has alluded to).”

A majority of fuqaha’ have said that “al-asl bil umoor al-ibaha” — the original ruling of all actions is permissibility, but there is one exception and the principles of fiqh state: “al-asl bil lahma al-hurma” — the original ruling of meat is that it is haram (until proven halal).

Thus unless one is certain that the meat is halal it is haram. The proof is in the ahadith of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and give him peace) in which he would not allow the eating of doubtful meat, and that he would only allow the eating of meat if there was certainty of its permissibility without doubt.

was Salam.

29. YoussefAlMasry May 1st, 2007 at 9:26 am

Omar H on May 1, 2007 at 2:49 am said:

was Salam.

Akhi Omar, jazzak Allahu khayr for your insight. To be quite honest, I have never heard that fiqh principle regarding meat. If you could point me to a source or a scholar that relies on that source, I would really appreciate it.

My initial inclination, based on the rulings that I have read, is that the doubt that you speak of is “reasonable” doubt. Therefore, since we know that the majority of individuals in this country are Christian or Jewish, and we know that meat slaughtered by them is halal for us, then it is reasonable to assume that the majority of meat here in the US is halal for us (that is, again, unless we get evidence to the contrary). If, however, one were living in India, a country where the majority of individuals are Hindu, then it is reasonable to assume that the majority of meat there is haram. Thus, in that instance, it behoaves the Muslim to have greater diligence regarding his consumption of meat.

As a related point, I have always heard from scholars that, like you stated, the general ruling of all actions is permissibility. Hwever, I have also heard that the one exception is in acts of ibadah only. Wa’Allahu alam.

As a last point, its a specious argument to say that the Christians and Jews here in America are not “true Christians” or “true Jews.” If they were true Christians and Jews, they’d be MUSLIM! The Christians and Jews of the Prophet Muhammed’s (Sallah Allahu Alayahi Wa Salam) time were already engaged in idolatry and the disobedience of Allah, so we shouldn’t make haram what Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’la) and His Prophet (Sallah Allahu Alayahi Wa Salam) has made halal for us. Wa’Allahu Alam.

30. YoussefAlMasry May 1st, 2007 at 9:28 am

Omar, that last point in my note was not directed at you, but generally to the forum :)

31. YoussefAlMasry May 1st, 2007 at 9:35 am

shab on April 30, 2007 at 5:36 pm said:

Mujahideen Ryder on April 30, 2007 at 6:16 pm said:

The restaurant is on 53rd off of 3rd avenue. Yeah, MR, it’s the one where you have to walk down some stairs. There’s also an attached Middle Eastern restaurant for those who wanna go traditional, heh. But for the adventurous among you, I highly recommend the beef fajita. Mmmmmmm :)

The prices are, obviously, higher than at the Chicken Guy, but they’re still pretty reasonable for Manhattan.

32. YoussefAlMasry May 1st, 2007 at 9:37 am

Mariachi

Found this link on zabihah.com, which btw, is a great resource for halal restaurants/groceries in general. Enjoy!

33. Mujahideen Ryder May 1st, 2007 at 10:05 am

YoussefAlMasry on May 1, 2007 at 9:37 am said:

Mariachi

Word. I been there. Good stuff. $$$ pricey though. Chicken guy still beats all with prices.

There are also other good bootleg chicken guys in queens and brooklyn that are just as good.

34. noone special May 1st, 2007 at 11:12 am

“Top scholars across the Muslim world, including Shaykh Qaradawi himself say that Muslims should avoid Kosher meat due to the Zionist oppression in Palestine”

That’s absolutely the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Why just stop at Kosher meat then? Maybe people should just avoid anything and everything created by or done by the Jews due to the Zionist oppression in Palestine. Heck, why not just avoid the Jews altogether. Do people actually take comments like this from “top scholars” seriously?

35. Mujahideen Ryder May 1st, 2007 at 11:25 am

noone special on May 1, 2007 at 11:12 am said:

Not really. Top scholars to some are scholars for dollars for others. So it really depends on the person. A lot of people eat kosher though over here.

36. Yursil May 1st, 2007 at 1:44 pm

BismillahirRahmanirRaheem
      as-salamu’alaikum,

MashaAllah, Shaykha Pamela Anderson addressing the question of halaal and haraam, I never thought I would see the day.

37. Yursil Kidwai May 4th, 2007 at 7:49 am

Definately not tassawuf in that video.

38. MuslimTorrents.com May 4th, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Dang…that was really disturbing. I’m sure anyone who sees that video will stop eating KFC…doesn’t matter if your are zabihah only eater or even Christian. Imagine what other stuff goes on by other companies like McDonalds that we don’t hear about.

39. SisAddy May 5th, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Salam bros and sis of Islam, PLZ READ IF U WANT CLARIFICATION (sorry its long)

Lets come to an agreement, whenever we have a dispute within ourselves let’s turn to our ultimate source, the Quran and the Prophet (pbuh) saying. Is everyone ok with that? I’m sorry I’m going to have to give salafis and sufis and all others fis the back seat on this because we are going to that which we all have in common, hope your all good with that.

Surah # 6: Al An-am, verse 118: “So eat of that which Allah’s name (meat) has been pronounced, if you are believers in His Ayat ( proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations).”
      In verse 118, Allah himself tells us to to eat food (meat really) on which Allah’s name has been pronounced, and links our of obedience to Allah’s command as evidence of our belief. Now that cant be taken lightly. But what about the meats of the A.Ks, Ahlul-Kitab? That’s in the Quran too, that’s means we are allowed right ? Wrong, and this is no contradiction in the Quran, and only goes to show that the original Christians and Jews were ordered to slaughter in the name of God.
      Surah # 6: Al An-am, verse 121: “Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allah’s name has not been pronounced, for sure it is Fisq (a sin and disobedience to Allah). And certainly, the devils do inspire their friends (from mankind) to dispute with you, and if you obey them, then indeed you will be Mushrikeen (polytheists).”
      The verse above can be nothing short of damning evidence that we cannot eat meat upon which Allah’s name was not mentioned on the slaughter. Allah warns us that disobedience in this command makes one the same stance as a one who associates partners with Allah (polytheists). That’s a pretty heavy price to pay, so don’t you want to be sure? Why aren’t you looking out for yourselves, the rewards and punishments will only be given to you, not some salafi or sufi group ( I forget which one Mujahideen quoted). Man, start by respecting yourself and your body and whenever you come across issues of Halal and Haram, do Yourself that favor and ascertain its 100% Halal.
      All good is from Allah and all mistakes are from me (& lots of grammar mistakes, err)

40. Just Kidding May 10th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

“The main ingredient is cruelty.”

But cruelty tastes so good

41. Hibah May 12th, 2007 at 11:01 am

I am very happy to see this post brother. I think what Muslims fail to realize is that animal abuse is not confined to these fast food joints. These atrocities are occuring in factory farms around the world. And sadly Muslims are contributing to the
      Also watch the video

Islam does not justify these acts. This is why I have chosen the path of veganism. Eating meat is not a pillar of Islam. Insh’Allah more Muslims will come to realize the suffering.
      “Let there be among you a community who enjoin good and forbid evil; it is they that shall be successful” [3:104]. Also, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) condemed animal abuse and was merciful towards creatures. He said, “You will not have a secure faith until you love one another and have mercy on those who live upon the earth.” (Bukhari, Muslim, and Abu Dawud).

“…We have made animals subject to you, that ye may be grateful” (Al-Qur’an 22:36).

42. imran May 13th, 2007 at 10:27 pm

I’m not AK, but I don’t think that video really negates the salafi’s position that AK meat, particularly KFC chicken, is halal. In fact, that video did show that the meat is slaughtered. The modern salafi would only consider it haram if a high enough percentage of the chickens die before their throats are slit. I think that was the case in Qaradawi’s fatwa of “haram”ing meat in Europe.

Correct me please

43. Ashraf July 16th, 2007 at 1:59 am

Allah says that zabiha of AK is halal, Rasool Allah says that it’s halal. What these Christians and Jews have done that neigher Allah found out nor Rasool Allah found out, but some of us did and those some of us says it haram…….

I’m afraid we are headind in the same direction, the Christian’s did, i.e. Bible according to Mark, Mathew, John and Luke, our’s is Quran according to Zaid, Omar, Bakar………..

44. Frinianum January 18th, 2008 at 9:24 am

I’d prefer reading in my native language, because my knowledge of your languange is no so well. But it was interesting! Look for some my links:

45. ..........uk January 18th, 2008 at 5:19 pm

dixy is halaal btw do da best chicken burgers:D

46. Muadh Khan July 1st, 2009 at 6:47 am

Asslamo Allaikum,

The meat of Ahlul-Kitaab is HALAL according to Qur’aan but in the West due to employment lawas and regulations when you go down to your neighbourhood KFC of McDonalds you can’t be sure if the slaughterer was a Hindu, Atheist, Christian or a Devil worshipper.

This doubt renders the meat in the West at least the one which is being done by Christians impermissible because of the principle that all of the scholars of Fiqh have confirmed – either implicitly or explicitly –is that the default ruling of animals is that they are haram until it is confirmed that they have been slaughtered properly. And an-Nawawi said: (130) “This principle is a point of consensus between the scholars, and there is no dispute regarding it,” and he commented on the aforementioned hadith of ‘Adiyy bin Hatim that will be mentioned (if Allah Wills) by saying: “It shows an important principle, and this is that if there is any doubt regarding the method of slaughter of an animal, it is not allowed to eat it due to the fact that the default ruling is that it is forbidden, and there is no dispute on this.” (131)

Al-Kasani said: “Allah made an exception from the prohibited meats for the meat that is properly slaughtered, and the exception from the forbidden means that it is allowed, as prohibition of an animal is not removed except by slaughtering it correctly.”

Ibn Rajab said: (170) “As for what is by default forbidden, such as sexual relations and the meat of animals, these are not permissible unless it is certain that the proper
      contract and proper slaughter has been performed, respectively.”

Ibn Qudamah said: (171) “The default is to avoid them, and their permissibility is tied to a condition, which is that they be slaughtered properly by those who are qualified to do so.”

And this is what Ibn Taymiyyah said in many places in his ‘Fatawa’: (172) “Sexual relations and slaughtered meat are not allowed when there is doubt as to their status.”

(130) See ‘al-Majmu’’ (9/65)
      (131) ‘Sharh Sahih Muslim’ (13/78), and see ‘Bulugh al-Amani min al-Fath ar-Rabbani’ (17/144)
      (134) ‘Bada’i’ as-Sana’i’’ (6/276)
      (170) ‘Jami’ al-‘Ulum wal-Hikam’ (1/189)
      (171) ‘al-Mughni’ (8/571)
      (172) ‘Majmu’ al-Fatawa’ (21/89, 21/100, & 32/190)