Mawlid in Makkah

• Filed under: Islam, Video
  • Date: May 3,2007 | 08:47 AM

Allah hu Akbar! Here are some video clips of a Mawlid in Makkah (or Mecca) at Shaykh Ahmad Sayyid Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki’ house. Shout out to Adnan for recording this! [UPDATED: Added 3rd video clip]

Clip 1:

Clip 2:

It seems to me that Allah (swt) has allowed the revivial of tasawwuf in Saudi Arabia. Alhamdulillah! SubhanAllah! Allah hu Akbar!

EDIT: Found another clip on YouTube of another Mawlid in Mecca:

• 20 Responses for "Mawlid in Makkah"

1. bambino May 3rd, 2007 at 9:37 am

Mash’Allah. Very nice. No Music and far from being Funky. My kind of Mawlid. :)

2. Ansari_UK May 3rd, 2007 at 9:58 am

Alhamdullilah! Awesome brother! Pls post more…

3. Saif May 3rd, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Salam Alaekum.

It’s not like this is something new. Shaykh Muhammad bin `Alawi al-Maliki (rahimahullah) was a Sufi from the `Ulema of Mecca. He used to hold Sufi gatherings and Mawlids at his house. Some wanted him to be removed from Mecca, but he was granted protection by King Fahad (rahimahullah).

Private Mawlids and Sufi gatherings exist in Saudia since a long time, even under the rulership of Aal-Saud.

4. Mujahideen Ryder May 3rd, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Saif on May 3, 2007 at 12:15 pm said:

Salam Alaekum.

I guess. I wouldn’t know, but I know that the Mawlids now in Saudi are public. The salafi-relgious police don’t and can’t do anything, alhamdulillah.

5. Adnaan May 3rd, 2007 at 1:26 pm

The second video is also Shaykh Maliki (The more famous of the maliki family)

6. Adnaan May 3rd, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Ansari_UK on May 3, 2007 at 9:58 am said:

Alhamdullilah! Awesome brother! Pls post more…

Go to youtube.com/ghazaliinstitute

I will eventually post all the Shaykh Maliki Video/CD/TAPE…My dad has original mawlids given to him by shaykh maliki..and also has lectures….

7. aysha May 3rd, 2007 at 7:11 pm

mash allah!

8. mehnaz miraj gibson May 3rd, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Salaam,

Thank you. It is refreshing and pleasing to the soul to watch and listen. Please continue to share with us.
      I do have a question. I am a little concerned about the general negativity towards Sufism lately. Could someone explain why?
      The path of the Sufi’s is not for everyone, but open to all. Have I missed the last politcal boat?

9. Shahid May 4th, 2007 at 3:30 am

Assalamu Alaikkum

Masha ALLAH, great post. May ALLAH [swt] reward you, Ameen

We are (Kerela, India) doing Muwlids since long time because in kerala there came 14 Sahabah’s and due to them Religion Islam has established (1400 years back) and since then people carried the sunnah until now.
      Masalaam

10. aicp May 4th, 2007 at 11:58 pm

“wasabis” must feel so helpless. 😛

11. sister May 5th, 2007 at 12:03 am

subhanallah this is great but i wonder if it’s allowed it’s kinda haram to record and stuff…

12. Joe May 5th, 2007 at 11:42 am

Hey, May the father forgive you for not believing in the Son of Man Jesus Christ. May he have mercy on your soul for the ruthless acts your religion commits on a daily basis and the innocent people your people killed. Jesus loves you. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, and whoever believes in him shall not parish but have everlasting life”-John 3:16

13. Zhilaal May 5th, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Anyway, on the topic, of course, if such a gathering of zikr is held in which there is no compulsion to come, in which there is no music, no dancing, jumping about or swaying idiotically and contains no fabricated traditions then what is the problem? Glad to see that the Saudi salafi’s are seeing sense and softening their stance. I mean, if something is truely bid’ah then of course it should be opposed, but intelligence should be used when we go on a bid’ah branding spree. That’s what the ulema of Deoband did, always tread the middle path.

14. Email May 5th, 2007 at 8:26 pm

salafees also tread the middle path.

Bidah is something introduced into the religion that was not present during time of Prophet SAW and/or time of sahaabah especially the four khulafaa ur Rashideen.

And in Saudi Arabia whatever you do in your house is your business, the Saudi Salafee police are not going to go about catching you or anything like that.

Anyways, MR can post this but I would request if he would refrain from Salafee bashing.

We have other concernign problems on our hands, idiot christians like Joe and atheists/ losers like Rick. They dont give a damn to differentiate between sufi or salafee or deobandi, they just want us to go to their made up hell.

You know I thought believing in God meant that He would decide who would go to hell not Rick, not Joe, not George W. Bush.

I have essentially classified such individuals as atheists as they are not truely believers in God, they call themselves gods and make decisions about people.

15. Email May 5th, 2007 at 8:37 pm

Actually let me scratch the comments I made about “salafees.”

Someone asked about labeling yourself as such or otherwise by Shaykh Abdullaah Al-Ghudyaan, a very respect scholar of Islaam from Saudi Arabia and this is what he said,

he recited Surat al ‘asr and explained the meaning of the ayaat. The further he said that every muslim’s obligation is to see what God (Allaah ‘Aza Wa Jal) requires of him from the faraaidh.

All believers are brothers in faith that should help each other with the truth and with patience.

He said using such labels: salafee, ikhwaani, tableeghi are producing groups or divisions in the ummah and should not be used at all.

So if you show mawlid, please for everyone and for myself( I am advising myself foremost) we should not use these labels.

I love Shaykh Abdullaah Al-Ghudyaan, when he talks you can tell that this believer of God follows islaam and practices what he preaches.

May Allaah strengthen him and help him unify this ummah and may Allaah guide us all.

16. Email May 5th, 2007 at 8:44 pm

AND I forgot to mention the most awesomest thing he said:

that Allaah SWT will not ask you on the day of judgement whether you were a sufi or salafee or tableeghi or ikhwaani, He SWT will ask you only if you did the obligations as a muslim Allaah required of you.

Subhanallaah! just puts everything into perspective.

17. Intellijunkt Commentary May 5th, 2007 at 11:32 pm

I respect those who find meaning and fulfillment from the Mawlid. But just for some reason, I still cant come to fully accept the celebration of events like Mawlid-un-Nabi. I’ve read both fatwas (that supports as well as prohibits) the Mawlid, and for some reason, the Mufti who prohibits it made more sense to me. Its just that islamic celebrations, in nature and on a fundamental level, are very different from celebrations of other religions. For example, we dont hold any aniversaries in memory of anyone in particular.

Both of our Eids have been prescribed for paying gratitude to Allah, and does not commemorate any particular person’s life. Islam has not prescribed any festival for the birthday of any person, however great or significant he may be. The prophets of Allah are the persons of the highest status amongst all human beings. But the Holy Prophet (SAW) or his noble companions never observed the birthday or anniversary of any of them.

Similarly, the sahabah who had lived with the Prophet and were witnesses to his fine example, and loved him profoundly, did nothing special on his birthday.

So I dont know, but I feel uncomfortable about practicing something that is attributed to Islam, even though it was not practised by the Prophet nor his companions. But I guess Allah (swt) knows best, and what really matters is our intention above all things.

18. unknown May 6th, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Intelli”junk”, maybe you will be intelli”gent” in the future, Insha Allah. Anyways, to further comment on this, there will be an amazing Dawrah Program in Medina, Mecca, Jordan & Syria. SHAYKH MAALIKI WILL HAVE PRIVATE LESSONS IN HIS HOME FOR THE STUDENTS! Check: http://ghazaliinstitute.com/
      GREAT WAY TO SPEND YOUR SUMMER!

19. HUDA (The Right Guidance) May 15th, 2007 at 9:36 am

Assalam w alaikum wr wb wm
      MASHA ALLAH I m really happy to visit this site.
      I m new here so wanna b a member here so plz tell me how to do that .
      MAY ALLAH BLESS ISLAM AND ALL MUSLIMEEN.
      AAMEEN YA RABBAL AALAMENN BIJAHI SAYYIDIL MURSALEEN