Amr Khaled – A Call for Coexistence

• Filed under: Islam
  • Date: May 16,2007 | 08:39 AM

Brother Soufyan from Morocco pointed these vidoes out to me. I have never heard an Amr Khaled lecture since he speaks in Arabic, but there is a lecture on YouTube with an English voice over translation. From the translation, I can see why TIME.com considered him one of the 100 most influential people who shape our world. Here is the video:

Part 2:

He brings up a very excellent point regarding coexistence amongst Muslims. The relationship of parents and children amongst Muslims families, especially in the West, is very weak, generally speaking. Not all families are like that, alhamdulillah, but you will find many young Muslims having a hard time trying to talk to there parents about issues they face in middle school, high school and college.

My mother said something really good one time which made me think about. There are all these Islamic schools, classes, Zaytuna, SunniPath, AlMaghrib, Deen Intesnivse, Imam Ghazali Institute, etc. and almost 80% of the students are young students. There needs to be classes, seminars that are for parents who live in the West and are trying to understand the culture of the young people today.

May Allah (swt) reward Ustadh Amr Khaled for his work in the Middle East. Ameen.

• 19 Responses for "Amr Khaled – A Call for Coexistence"

1. melody May 16th, 2007 at 10:57 am

Bismillah

He’s awesome! He gives all these great lessons about the companions of the Prophet … and last year during Ramadan he would go name by name of the names and attributes of Allah … first describing it and then giving an example of how each and every name is important in our daily lives. one name that stuck out was al fattah. it means the opening but comes in various forms. fatH doesn’t come all at once, it comes when you least expect it, or what you may think is fatH really isn’t. its important to implement the knowledge that all scholars have that is correct into our lives to make ourselves prepared for the akhirah :)

he’s awesome. i missed him this passed weekend. insha’Allah one day he’ll come to the tri-state area :)

jazaak Allah khair for the post and ameen to your dua’as!

2. melody May 16th, 2007 at 10:58 am

i said he’s awesome twice! lol … sorry about that :0)

3. Mujahideen Ryder May 16th, 2007 at 11:32 am

I think all Egyptians love Amr Khaled. hahaha!

4. melody May 16th, 2007 at 11:58 am

actually thats not true! i know that for sure … some people know him and can’t stand listening to him!

sometimes its the method in which someone presents the information. you and i can have the same information but present it very differently. the skill is in how we present it so that its beneficial to the audience.

5. Mujahideen Ryder May 16th, 2007 at 12:46 pm

melody on May 16, 2007 at 11:58 am said:

Okay I was wrong. A lot of Egyptians like him. haha

6. Ali May 16th, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Salaam,

I liked the message in the past video…but I have heard his other stuff and Amr Khaled seems to direct his messages very much to Arab Muslims only and doesn’t really address the rest of the ummah. Further, I feel that his lectures tend to elevate Arab culture. I’m not saying he has an agenda or anything, but as a non Arab Muslim (who strongly believes there is nothing intrinsically Arab about Islam), I have to say that I find it troubling and very exclusivist.

7. Mujahideen Ryder May 16th, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Ali on May 16, 2007 at 3:36 pm said:

Salaam,

I mean he direct audience are mostly Arabs, if not All. His shows are played in Arab countries.

It’s like in Pakistan, they have Pakistan scholars giving lectures abotu Islam that applies to Pakistani people.

In America, we have Scholars giving lectures that are applicable to Muslims in America that would not be applicable to Muslims in Indonesia or Algeria.

Get what I’m saying?

8. AlBaraa May 18th, 2007 at 7:23 pm

I wonder if Amr Khalid is the Tony Robbins of the Arab world…

9. Muslim # 1 May 19th, 2007 at 11:15 pm

First of all what deen are you gonna take into your life from a person wearing a tie and having no respect for the sunnah … ( ie. clean shaved )

10. Mujahideen Ryder May 20th, 2007 at 12:05 am

Muslim # 1 on May 19, 2007 at 11:15 pm said:

Beard doesn’t mean anything to me. I have seen clean-shaved brothers act with respect and hikmah while full length bearded brothers flirting with sisters.

Same with wearing clothes. People get high wearing jallabiyyahs.

Physical appearance means nothing nowadays.

11. SeanR May 20th, 2007 at 10:38 am

Why is the camera man hiding behind a bush?

12. SeanR May 20th, 2007 at 10:43 am

This is my first time hearing him. Its too bad they used a really nerdy voice for the English voiceover. It made it harder for me to like him.

As for his no-beard. Maybe he has a skin condition that is irritated by growing a beard. Or maybe the dress code at his job requires suit and tie and no facial hair. Or ….um……

13. YoussefAlMasry May 20th, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Amr Khaled catches a lot of flak–A LOT–regarding his appearance, his approach to dawaa, etc. There is no doubt that the beard is part of the Sunnah and that a da3y who preaches while clean shaven (I’m pretty positive he doesn’t have a skin condition–I mean homie has a mustache, doesn’t he?) can lead to certain consequences. In fact, when I was telling my cousin why I choose to have a beard, she responded with “but Amr Khaled doesn’t have one.”

All that being said, I’m definitely in this guy’s corner. He has done a world of good and caused a whole generation of Muslims in the Middle East, and especially in Egypt, to become more conscious of their religion. In fact, my friend told me a story the other day of these two relatives of his who his cousin had been trying to get to wear the hijab for a quite a while, but to no avail. It was only after watching one of Amr Khaled’s broadcasts that the sisters began to realize the importance of the hijab and resolved to wear it from that moment on.

I say more power to him. And may Allah (SWT) preserve him and reward him for his efforts.

14. abu ameerah May 21st, 2007 at 9:44 am

“Beard doesn’t mean anything to me.”

–Uhhh…it should “mean” a little something Akh…

15. Mujahideen Ryder May 21st, 2007 at 9:52 am

abu ameerah on May 21, 2007 at 9:44 am said:

“Beard doesn’t mean anything to me.”

–Uhhh…it should “mean” a little something Akh…

Ovbiously you knew what I meant. I don’t mean it doesn’t have any meaning or blessing in it. I mean a Muslim brother who weears a beard is not different from a Muslim brother who is clean shaven in this day and age, unless its huge.

The length of the beard is where its at. That has meaning.

16. abu ameerah May 21st, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Oh YOU GAVE IT “Mujahid” Style…

“I mean a Muslim brother who weears a beard is not different from a Muslim brother who is clean shaven in this day and age…”

The difference is that the one who does not keep a beard is sinning — unless he has a valid excuse in the Sharia.

More important that actual beard length (in which there is a difference of opinion amongst the Ulema) is actually keeping a beard which is obligatory upon Muslim men.

Ta-Ta for Now! :)

17. Mujahideen Ryder May 21st, 2007 at 12:38 pm

abu ameerah on May 21, 2007 at 12:20 pm said:

Oh YOU GAVE IT “Mujahid” Style…

Ta-Ta for Now! :)

You are correct with the sinning part. The only reason why I was defending the equality between bearded and non-bearded brothers was that the brother above judged Amr Khaled based on his non-existent beard. The point I was making was that non-bearded brothers are also good and can be good Muslims.

May Allah (swt) guide them to wear beards. Ameen!

18. Ali May 21st, 2007 at 6:01 pm

You guys are debating over the fact that the man doesn’t have a beard even though he has done a world of good for Islam. It really is pathetic and it is a strong example of the reason why our mosques – and the whole ummah for that matter – is in the state that they are…making a big deal out of petty issues. This is what causes divide between us and holds us back…really sad

“It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah-fearing” (Surah Al-Baqara 177)

19. muslimmatters.org » Blog Roundup! UPDATES May 22nd, 2007 at 8:22 am

[…] ~~Videos of Amr Khaled with English voice over. Courtesy Mujahideen Ryder. —END UPDATES. […]