Shaykh Hamza Yusuf – From Protest to Engagement

• Filed under: Islam, Video
  • Date: Jun 14,2007 | 11:46 PM

Wallahi, wallahi, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is a genius! This man reads so much, mashaAllah! His Arabic is excellent! SubhanAllah, if it wasn’t for Shaykh Hamza Yusuf lectures I’d probably be an extremist takfiri. May Allah (swt) preserve Shaykh Abdullah bin Bayyah the teacher of Shaykh Hamza Yusuf. May Allah (swt) bless them both and give us more scholars like them for the entire ummah. Ameen.

Anyways this is a lecture he gave at the Radical Middle Way event “From Protest to Engagement” in London. The lecture is divided into 4 videos on YouTube.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

MashaAllah! Alhamdulillah!

• 18 Responses for "Shaykh Hamza Yusuf – From Protest to Engagement"

1. UKer June 15th, 2007 at 7:45 am

iv been waiting 4 these videos in aggeesss. Alhamdulilah

2. Usma June 15th, 2007 at 10:24 am

I was there! It was fanatastic :)

some notes:

wasalam

3. abu ameerah June 15th, 2007 at 10:26 am

“Wallahi, wallahi, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is a genious!”

–Down boy, Down! Well, I’ll hold off on my thoughts on the Sidi’s intellect. However, I am quite sure that he (Sidi Hanson) could at least spell “genious” correctly —– GENIUS!

“His Arabic is excellent!”

–You sure about that? lol (shaking my head)

4. Intellijunkt Commentary June 15th, 2007 at 11:26 am

abu ameerah on June 15, 2007 at 10:26 am said:

“Wallahi, wallahi, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is a genious!”

“His Arabic is excellent!”

–You sure about that? lol (shaking my head)

Huh? =S

5. Mujahideen Ryder June 15th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

abu ameerah on June 15, 2007 at 10:26 am said:

“Wallahi, wallahi, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is a genious!”

“His Arabic is excellent!”

–You sure about that? lol (shaking my head)

JazakAllah khair for pointing out my spelling error.

Yeah, I am sure Shaykh Hamza’s Arabic is excellent. His teacher Shaykh Abdullah bin Bayyah clearly speaks 95% fusha in his lectures. Have you heard any Sh. bin Bayyah lectures?

6. Ai June 15th, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Hamza yusuf is overrated

7. Yaser June 15th, 2007 at 4:41 pm

May Allah Preserve Him

8. Mujahideen Ryder June 15th, 2007 at 4:41 pm

Ai on June 15, 2007 at 2:49 pm said:

Hamza yusuf is overrated

You need to watch this video: http://www.mujahideenryder.net/2007/06/15/imam-suhaib-webb-from-protest-to-engagement/

Especially the part where Imam Suhaib Webb talks about how people talk about scholars online on forums, etc. 😀

9. akhan June 15th, 2007 at 10:50 pm

Mashallah! I never saw Sheikh Hamza get emotional like that before. The was completely surprised about the florence nightingale part. Mashallah again.

and whether he’s overrated or not doesnt matter. Either way he’s doing so much good for the Muslim ummah and we should appreciate that.

10. Jufri June 15th, 2007 at 11:23 pm

I cant see the videos, cause of plugins is off.

11. mike June 16th, 2007 at 1:10 am

praise is due to Allah(my Arabic is terrible) these were very good videos, they are great reminders that the citizens truly have power over their gov. in the western world and it is our responsibility to create a better world for Allah first and one another second by becoming involved in the process. InshaAllah, Allah guides us to the straight path and we dont loose ourselves in the world.

12. Salihah June 16th, 2007 at 10:53 am

He is such a LEGEND mashaAllah…may Allah grant him a high level in Jannah…
      I LOVE HIM FISABILILLAH…..

13. SacredHadith.com June 17th, 2007 at 9:20 am

JazakAllah

14. Nuqtah June 28th, 2007 at 5:17 pm

assalamu alaikum,

Sidi Hamza Yusuf is quite an intelligent and insightful man. I have respect for him. However, akhi I was wondering if you know, or aware of who is actually behind the organization “the radical middle way”, that hosted the event. Who runs it? Where does its funding come from? If you find out, let us know Insha Allah.

15. traveller July 3rd, 2007 at 6:55 am

assalamu ‘alaikum

i just found this blog while searching sheikh hamza and thought i might drop a comment with regards to last reply by ‘Nuqtah’.

the radical middleway is funded by the british government. it’s aim is to ‘deradicalise’ british muslims.

the fact is british muslims don’t need deradicalised and we don’t need scholars from around the globe to come and tell us how to live our lives as ‘peaceful citizens’. how many british muslims can be called REAL terrorists rather than convicted under the british terrorism act? wat ever happened to the innocent until proven guilty?

this initiative runs a lot deeper than many would beleive and although i would never doubt the sheikhs sincerity and wealth of knowledge masha Allah i personally do not agree with the scheme along with sheikh yaqoubi (his teacher and possibly the greatest scholar of our time) and his colleagues at the zaytuna institute (imam zaid shakir and imam yahya rhodus).

it’s what the sheikh mentioned on the videos here: ‘and if they incline towards peace then you incline with them…’ (al-Quran). whether it’s a scholarly misinterpretation i would’nt know as i am not as learned as the blessed sheikh but many ‘ulama have interpreted this ayah in a different light. see mufti shafi’s tafsir on this ayah.

my aim in posting this is not to hurt anyone as many are in awe of the sheikh (including myself) i just want to raise valid concerns and show that noone can be perfect and one must look at even their beloved shuyukh with impartiality. my love for the sheikh’s knowledge, sincerity, insight and eloquence is shared by the global muslim community and just as it breaks my heart to accept mistakes of the sheikh whom i probably love and respect more than my parents i have to accept wrong when i see it..just as our beloved (pbuh) had written on his sword ‘and stand for the truth even if it be against yourself’

may Allah bless the ‘ulama who have pointed out sheikh hamza’s mistakes (though i would never say he made them intentionally and i truly beleive he acts with sincerity may Allah guide him and keep him on the Haqq) and give us the strength to understand the truth.

ws

may Allah guide us all and give sheikh hamza a blessed and long life. ameen.

16. Brother July 3rd, 2007 at 11:57 am

Oh really?

then what about:

– 7 July 2005 London bombings ( 4 explosions – 3 in tube trains, one in bus. At least 52 dead, 700 injured. )

– the two unexploded car bombs found in London last week (although not yet proved to be by Muslims)

– 2007 Glasgow International Airport attack (Suspects:
      * Bilal Abdulla, 27, from Iraq[32]
      * Mohammed Asha, 26, from Saudi Arabia[33] photo
      * Marwah Asha, 27, from Jordan[34]
      * Mohamed Hanif, 27, arrested in Brisbane )

17. traveller July 5th, 2007 at 7:41 pm

good point.

im still researching all of this so am on crossroads at the moment..

ws

18. Mark August 6th, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Who is paying for this?

Oh that is right, the Islamic govt. of the United Kingdom with his holiness “sheikh” Tony Blair. Maybe these links may shed some light on this circus: