Warning: Don’t get a ticket from the “Hereafter Police”

• Filed under: Islam
  • Date: Jul 13,2007 | 07:16 PM

I was driving on a local road by my house at about 50 mph. The speed limit on the road is 30 mph, but there is also a school zone which is 15 mph. Typically the average speed is around 40 mph on that road. As everyone knows people rarely follow the speed limit, and cops don’t mind as long as your not driving to fast On that day there was a cop hiding on one of the side streets within the school zone. I didn’t see him, until he had already fired the laser gun checking my speed. I knew from his reaction I was going to be pulled over.

He pulled me over and gave me a ticket. He was pretty nice and I was honest. The ticket was for going 49 mph in a 15 mph zone. Yeah that’s a really bad ticket. I could have received points on my license. So me, trying to be smart, I pleaded not guilty and sent in the ticket to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Last time I did this, I got away free without paying anything and nothing added to my record. Unfortunately, this time was a different case.

After waiting for 30 minutes in the court room. The cop showed up. The judge called me up. The cop then pulled out a bunch of papers and gave a whole lecture on his educational background, his experience as a cop, the laser gun which he used and then finally what happened on the day he pulled me over. So after a good 15 minutes of him talking, I felt like I was an idiot and the cop was a top world scientist and the judge was Albert Einstein.

The judge turned to me and said, “What do you have to say”. I told him about my record and how it’s really good and that I was simply flowing with traffic. The judge then said “Do you have anything else to say?”. I knew I was guilty then.

The ticket was $410 bucks.

What does this have to do with the “Akhirah Police”? A lot. Think of the road as your life. The car is your body. The speed limits are the boundaries of Islam. Even if everyone is crossing the boundaries, doesn’t mean you have to. Just because everyone was speeding, doesn’t mean I have to. Instead of the cop watching us when we drive we have the “Akhirah Police” or the two angels on our shoulders writing down everything we do.

The court is the Day of Judgment and the judge is Allah. The cop will be those angels that recorded our deeds. You will be the suspect. What proof will you have to defend yourself against your own actions on that day? We can get away from tickets from the dunya police but we can’t get away from tickets from the Akhirah Police.

Ali (ra) said, “The one who longs for Paradise will rush towards good deeds; the one who dreads Hell will put an end to his vices; the one who has firm conviction in [the imminent arrival of] death will lose all his passions; and the one who really knows the dunya will find disasters easy to bear.” (Source: page 21 of Preparing for the Day f Judgement by Imam Hajar al-‘Asqalani)

May Allah (swt) reduce the amount tickets from the Akhirah Police. Ameen!

• 31 Responses for "Warning: Don’t get a ticket from the “Hereafter Police”"

1. mom July 13th, 2007 at 7:32 pm

you owe me 410 dollars

2. v July 13th, 2007 at 8:42 pm

THATS LIKE U JUST THREW AN XBOX360 OUT THE WINDOW YO OUCH OUCH

3. ... July 13th, 2007 at 9:38 pm

mom on July 13, 2007 at 7:32 pm said:

you owe me 410 dollars

lolll i owe alot to money to my sister, i just wish that she forgets about it- :( mom just forgive him cuz its burden to have debt :(

4. AlBaraa July 13th, 2007 at 9:45 pm

man…thas it $410? I payed approx $600+ one time for doin 90 in a 65, and $525 for going down a oneway…

…came out of my pocket. not to mention the points + surcharges…

…good reminder btw :)

5. Intellijunkt Commentary July 13th, 2007 at 10:40 pm

That’s a pretty clever analogy (of the Akhira)!!

However, I cant believe you can get away with speeding tickets in the US. Down here in Aus, it’s normal to get fined for going over the limit by only 7-9km/h. Once the police catch you, you can’t just ‘plead not guilty’ because laser-guns never lie. Like, ever.

6. southside jihad July 14th, 2007 at 12:20 am

Powerful analogy MR. On a sidenote, I remember in the late 90’s that if you plead not guilty to a ticket most of the time the cop wouldn’t be able to show up in court, and the ticket would be thrown out.(Run-on sentence) Now police get fined for not coming so watch your speed out there. Salaam

7. Andalus July 14th, 2007 at 12:52 am

You need a good lawyer.

8. junaid from the bronx July 14th, 2007 at 1:51 am

nice analogy amir

9. Tasbeeh July 14th, 2007 at 3:04 am

in LA, we can only get away with five or ten over the speed limit. They’re, like, super strict on speed laws and they have those red light cameras EVERYWHERE. You’ll be driving along, and there’s a flash.

10. saad July 14th, 2007 at 10:14 am

inshallah yo, ALLAH KNOWS BEST, money comes and goes, but great analogy, im switching to camels!

11. radf July 14th, 2007 at 11:16 am

Nice analogy but too bad it cost you $410.

12. Farooq Z July 14th, 2007 at 12:02 pm

Salam

Beautiful analogy Br. Amir. I liked the Islamic aspect of the story, though the dunya police left quite a fine for your wallet, not your nafs, to bear.

13. Hamid July 14th, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Is everyone overseeing something here? Some advice for the brother who drove so fast? The reality is you could have killed a child driving at approximately 50 mph near a 15 mph school area. While I love the analogy, there is some serious thought to be given to this deed done in the dunya too.

Wasalam.

14. Mujahideen Ryder July 14th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Hamid on July 14, 2007 at 3:03 pm said:

Wasalam.

There is no school in session at the time. It’s summer. It was an elementary school. It was in the afternoon. School zones are the same throughout the state at 15 mph from 6 AM to 6 PM.

15. SibghaZ July 15th, 2007 at 12:06 am

“Reminders benefit the Believers”

May Allah reward you with the best of rewards. Very Powerful Analogy & mashaAllah great post.

16. Abul Layth July 15th, 2007 at 7:52 am

Follow the laws of the land?

If I were your mom, I would make you scrub the floors with a toothbrush, massauge my feet, mow the yard (if you have one), get a job working so you will pay me back every cent, then give you a long lecture about how heedless you are, and how you really don’t need a car at all, making you then turn to Allah ta’alaa begging Him that I wouldn’t take your car away from you for your horrific driving, breaking the law, heedlessness, and most of all lying about not being guilty.

But I’m not your mom (or dad), may Allah bless them both for their tolerance and patience in raising you Aameen!

17. Mujahideen Ryder July 15th, 2007 at 8:00 am

Abul Layth on July 15, 2007 at 7:52 am said:

Follow the laws of the land?

I feel sorry for Ilyas.

18. Zhilaal July 15th, 2007 at 2:15 pm

You are totally right. No getting away from the aakhirah police. I also think there is an analogy between the usual state of mind we are in when we break traffic rules ‘Heck..what are the chances we’ll get caught’.

In other words we take the risk hoping there is no traffic police…and sometimes there is and next thing we know we’re hauled into court.

We think like this every time we commit sin, though we know we may die at that moment and face Allah in such an ignominous state, but we hope that death will not come at that time. Usually it doesn’t..but when it does..there’s no escaping.

19. IBO July 15th, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Now I know what were you guys talking about last night. Is 50mph too bad on stony brook road?

20. Radiant Light July 15th, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Nice analogy masha’Allah! I’d call your experince A seed of realisation 😉

21. Tauseef July 15th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

That sucks Amir about the ticket that is at least. The analogy is on point. Angels are like the Akhira police writing everything you do down. Gives pause to the saying “Speeding through life.”

22. zaki July 15th, 2007 at 7:34 pm

thats what happened!! now i get it.

23. mom July 15th, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Abul Layth on July 15, 2007 at 7:52 am said:

Follow the laws of the land?

this is a good advise….thats it amir, you have to clean the kitchen floors & bathroom, clean the car, mow the lawn and wash the dishes for a month…

24. keepitsimple July 16th, 2007 at 12:44 am

ooo my god. 410 dollars!!!!!!!!! i have a ticket for driving 31 above speed limit… how much am i ganna get fined??? ahh! so scared!!

25. Mujahideen Ryder July 16th, 2007 at 7:54 am

keepitsimple on July 16, 2007 at 12:44 am said:

Don’t plead not guilty. Just plead guilty and pay the ticket. It’ll probably be cheaper.

26. Mujahideen Ryder July 16th, 2007 at 8:57 am

test

27. Adam July 16th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Man, $410!? That’s more than 50 regular panzerotti’s at Valentino’s. :( That’s nearly a decades worth supply. hahah, if you haven’t tried a panzerotti (at Valentino’s), next time you come, I definitely gotta take you!

Poor Umm Amir, my condolences are with her.

28. Dua July 16th, 2007 at 7:45 pm

May Allah bless you for a great reminder and
      Ameen to your dua

29. Libid July 16th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Excellent analogy, sidi. I enjoyed the story very much. I do regret, however, that it cost you over $400.00 dollars to be able to share it with us.

30. Mujahideen Ryder July 17th, 2007 at 8:35 am

Mujahideen Ryder on July 16, 2007 at 8:57 am said:

test

test

31. Ali July 19th, 2007 at 7:46 pm

love the analogy :) insha Allah we will also have the Prophet (pbuh) as our lawyer trying to get us off 😀