This is ridiculous. I am totally against this. What kind of backward culture is this? This is haram!

Saudi wants divorce after husband lifts her veil

Never showed her face in 30 years of marriage
DUBAI (AlArabiya.net)

A 50-year-old Saudi woman asked for divorce after her husband lifted her face veil while she was sleeping, local press reported.

For 30 years, the wife said she never showed her face to her husband in conformity with the tradition of her native village near the south western Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt.

“After all these years, he tries to commit such a big mistake,” the wife told Saudi newspaper Al-Riyadh, after she left the house in total disbelief.

She said the husband apologized and promised never to do it again.

This is not the first case of husbands who have not seen their wives’ faces in decades.

In the past Al Arabiya has reported the case of Ali al-Qahtani, whose wife had been wearing the face veil for the entire ten years of their marrage. When he tried to take it off, she threatened to leave and only decided to stay after he swore never to try again.

Hassan Al-Atibi threatened to marry another woman if his wife didn’t show him her face. The woman nominated one of her friends who doesn’t observe this tradition as a possible new wife for him, saying this would be better than her showing her face.

And neither the husband or children of Om Rabea al-Gahdaray, 70, have ever seen her face. Al-Gahdaray says it is a family tradition, also followed by mother and sisters, which her husband accepted and never tried to change.

When asked how she could have kids without her husband ever seeing her face, she replied: “Marriage is about love, not faces.”

Source

• 21 Responses for "Wack Saudi Culture – You’re my husband, but you can’t see my face!"

1. zaki October 29th, 2007 at 2:57 pm

wow. I heard that some remote bedouin tribes are not muslims yet.

2. Mere Muslim October 29th, 2007 at 3:05 pm

As-salamu ‘alaykum,

Thanks for letting us know about this article. However, please correct your title to read: “You’re my husband…” This is because what your sentence is trying to say is “You are my husband…” Hopefully you now understand that “Your my husband…” doesn’t make any sense. Don’t feel bad, however, since this is a common grammatical error…but still one that I correct every chance I get…

3. Mujahideen Ryder October 29th, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Mere Muslim on October 29, 2007 at 3:05 pm said:

As-salamu ‘alaykum,

JazakAllah khair!

zaki on October 29, 2007 at 2:57 pm said:

wow. I heard that some remote bedouin tribes are not muslims yet.

We need to step up the dawah to old school camel and scroll style!

4. ...... October 29th, 2007 at 4:42 pm

my god lol i highly doubt about its euthenticity and practicality =)

5. saad ahmad October 29th, 2007 at 5:58 pm

she was probably a man….thats why! haha i mean he, he she? astugfurillah

6. sunnilink October 29th, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Straight out of jahiliyya if you ask me.

7. Ali October 29th, 2007 at 10:16 pm

saad ahmad on October 29, 2007 at 5:58 pm said:

she was probably a man….thats why! haha i mean he, he she? astugfurillah

LOLLLLL

8. AbdulRahman October 30th, 2007 at 12:39 am

Subhan Allah, see what ignorance does to people. They should learn more about Islam.

9. One God October 30th, 2007 at 12:51 am

Oh my gosh, wow. This is what you define insanity and ignorance with.

I thank Allah (swt) for not placing me into tribes like these and gifting me with Islam.

10. Yusuf Smith October 30th, 2007 at 5:12 am

As-Salaamu ‘alaikum,

This is obviously a local Bedouin tradition and has nothing to do with lack of knowledge of Islam – I’m sure they know more about Islam than some people here – but rather it is something the man would have known about when he married this lady, which he did not have to do. Obviously we all know that we are allowed to see our wives’ faces in Islam, and any other part of her, but since none of us is likely to marry a Bedouin Arab, it really doesn’t matter to us, does it? I do find it disturbing, though, that even her children haven’t seen her face.

11. Suz.UKgal. October 30th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

tht’s….just…….O_o

huh?

maaaannn…..

Al7amdulillah 3ala ni3mat Al-Islam.

Dayymmmmmnnnn…..

[i]We need to step up the dawah to old school camel and scroll style![/i]

bwahahahahaha….LOOOOOLLL!!! YES2 brother!! I 2nd tht!

12. Abdullah October 30th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

WOW!! Just WOW!

13. noway! October 30th, 2007 at 6:09 pm

its rubbish! It just happens my uncle lives in that area..and iv been there. They cover their faces out doors…but definately not indoors! This is media playing at it again, nothing to write about, but one or two weird women, and suddenly the whole area is meant to ‘cover their face at home’. Dnt believe it, seriously!

14. UmmZaid October 31st, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Salaam ‘Alaikum

No, I have heard about particular tribal areas in the Gulf and in Iran where the women never show their faces to anyone. Seems like mostly very remote people, but it’s not everyone either. I saw some film on it, and the veils they wore were of leather and decorated with filagree and coins, not regular ol’ niqabs.

15. Ahmed Ibrahim November 1st, 2007 at 5:24 pm

f**k that..everyone throws a bid3a and think that religion…

dumbasses

16. Abû Mûsâ Al-?abashî November 3rd, 2007 at 1:00 pm

As anyone who has ever lived in Saudi knows (and the author of this blog knows), this has nothing to do with “Saudi” culture. Such a generalization is ridiculous. It’s a Bedouin tradition as a brother mentioned above and should be called/criticized as such. The title of this post should really be changed.

17. ahmed.a.a November 3rd, 2007 at 7:21 pm

Ahmed Ibrahim on November 1, 2007 at 5:24 pm said:

f**k that..everyone throws a bid3a and think that religion…

dumbasses

excuse me ? where has our manners gone?

anyways the story seems farfetched , media again hyping it up!

18. Dr. Inamullah November 4th, 2007 at 7:04 am

Asalam u Alaikum…

well i think… the story teller might be mistaken.. i mean… how could be it possible that man himself cannot see his wife face… its totally rediculous…
      Husband n wife relation cant be propagated with this sort of things… it might be just a tale & has nothing to do with the islamic teachings…

contrary to this islam highly stress on the relation between wife n husband… it has been said by the Prophet Mohammad PBUH that ” if one is allowed to knelt before the human… i will order women todo so before their husband….” so i think they might not be a muslim who are doing such practice…

19. Ahmed Raza Khan November 7th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

i am finding this hard to believe.

Infact, i dont believe this at all.

Its absolutely ridiculous!

20. concerned November 8th, 2007 at 12:22 am

hey…maybe the woman has some sort of facial disease and is embarrassed to show anyone…have anyone cared to think from the womans perspective

21. Ahmed Raza Khan November 12th, 2007 at 12:51 pm

oh purleez!!!!

its a tradition in saudi, read the article, many women do this nonsense!

Husbands are allowed to see every inch of their wives body, under shariah, that woman cannot ask for a divorce, the husband has commited no sin.