Christian Extremists Attack Jews, Muslim Saves Them!

muslim-saves-jews-from-christians.jpg JEWS’ SUBWAY HERO A MUSLIM By JENNIFER FERMINO, ERIKA MARTINEZ and PETER COX
December 12, 2007 — A Brooklyn man whose “Happy Hanukkah” greeting landed him in the hospital said he was saved from a gang of Jew-bashing goons aboard a packed Q train by a total stranger – a modest Muslim from Bangladesh. Walter Adler was touched that Hassan Askari jumped to his aid while a group of thugs allegedly pummeled and taunted him and his three friends. So Adler has invited his new friend over to celebrate the Festival of Lights.

The two new pals – Adler, 23, with a broken nose and a fat lip, and Askari, 20, with two black eyes – broke bread together and laughed off the bruises the night after the fisticuffs.

“A random Muslim guy jumped in and helped a Jewish guy on Hanukkah – that’s a miracle,” said Adler, an honors student at Hunter College.

“He’s basically a hero. Hassan jumped in to help us.”

But Askari, who is studying to be an accountant, shrugged off the praise.

“I just did what I had to do,” he recalled. “My parents raised me that way.”

Ten people were arrested in the underground attack on Friday night – including two men who have been arrested for race crimes before.

None of the suspects had been charged with a hate crime in the Q train attack as of last night, but the Brooklyn DA’s Civil Rights Bureau is handling the case.

It all began when Adler, his girlfriend, Maria Parsheva, and two other pals boarded the subway at Canal Street bound for Brooklyn and someone in another group wished them “Merry Christmas.”

Adler and his pal Angelica Krischanovich responded: “Happy Hanukkah.”

Apparently, those were fighting words.

“They just came at us so fast. The first thing that came into my mind was, ‘Yeah, this is going to be violent,’ ” said Parsheva, 20.

One of the group immediately hiked up his sleeve to reveal a tattoo of Christ.

“He said, ‘Happy Hanukkah, that’s when the Jews killed Jesus,’ ” said Adler.

The group of about 14 men and women then allegedly began taunting Adler and his pals as “dirty Jews” and “Jew bitches.”

Amid a huge scrum, Askari jumped in.

“I’m bleeding all over the place, there’s lots of people, they’re fighting with Hassan still, and I’m like, why isn’t anyone else doing anything?” Adler said.

He pulled the emergency brake right before entering the DeKalb Avenue station.

Police came aboard and arrested 10 people, charging six with assault and four with unlawful assembly.

One of those collared straphangers yesterday denied making anti-Semitic taunts and said his mother is Jewish.

Joseph Jirovec, 19 – the son of a city firefighter who is currently serving in Iraq – has pleaded guilty to a 2005 bias crime against blacks.

“We are not racist against Jewish people. That whole hate-crime thing is ridiculous,” the Brooklyn man said.

He claims Adler’s group was drunk and taunted his group, and one yelled, “We killed Jesus.”

Jirovec will soon begin serving six months for his role in the attack against four men in Gerritsen Beach.

“I’m trying to stay out of trouble,” he said. “When I get out, I want to go into the military.”

Additional reporting by Sandra Hurley and Tatiana Deligiannakis

jennifer.fermino@nypost.com

• 14 Responses for "Christian Extremists Attack Jews, Muslim Saves Them!"

1. ahmed (London) December 12th, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Im in no way against what the brother did but im totally against the title of that front page headline! Muslim rescues jews from subway thugs????? what the………. why not A Bengali saves a jew from thugs? just like any title non muslims would get! for example if a white christian man saves a asian man from bieng hit by a car the front page wont even mention the white mans religious belief its a human prosocial behaviour we help each other or act in prosocial way when a Human being needs help its nothing new! its almost being made out that muslims are worth something to the society after all. and bravo to the Hero brother for deciding to celebrate a celebration that has not been prescribed for him!

2. Arifa December 12th, 2007 at 9:34 pm

Well the whole fight was over a religious issue. I think that’s why they mentioned the whole muslim jew thing. and plus people thing jews and muslims hate each other or something. we know that’s not true but others do not.

3. Dave December 12th, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Headline titles are always meant to get peoples’ attention, not that I like the fact it just says “Muslim”. Like the Muslim man said, he just did what he felt he had to do, so I’m sure he thinks its silly that he’s just called a Muslim. But at the same I agree that many people think that Muslims wouldn’t do what he did, so this proves that there are kind people of every religion, ethnicity, etc.

4. Muslim1 December 12th, 2007 at 10:37 pm

SubhanAllah, thats islam for you. We fight for what is right…

5. justpeepulz December 13th, 2007 at 2:18 am

Like Dave said – Kind people of every religion, ethnicity, etc. Papers, especially the post (the national enquirer of nyc) like to play up whatever sells. muslim1, of course, missed the point. It’s about people.

Fundamentalist muslims, as well as all other kinds of extremists from all religions (hindu extremists crack me up! Hello – ahimsa, not to cause suffering, #1 tenet, and then they blow up somebody else’s temple!) including Christians and Jews have done and continue to do bad things to people. It’s part of human nature sometimes I guess unfortunately.

Muslims have done there share of bad, very bad, good and very good, just like every other religion.

Fortunately, it’s also in human nature to rise above, and that’s just what happened on the subway. Human beings caring instead of hating or turning a blind eye. That’s the essence right there, and that rises above denominations.

P.S. Y not just a man helps another man in need?

6. Yehudi December 13th, 2007 at 2:28 am

Good post…I covered the story on my site as well. I am infuriated by the fact that these 4 were attacked for wishing someone ‘Happy Hanukkah.’ The fact that the guy who jumped in to help was muslim was an anomaly, believe me. Nine muslims out of ten would either A) do nothing, or B) jump in on the other side. G-d bless him, but don’t start believing that muslims are neighborly, compassionate, Good Samaritans. Look at their doctrines, look at what the koran says, and look at their track record worldwide. Anyway, the focus shouldn’t be on the guy who helped, (Thank G-d he did), but rather on the racists that started the whole thing.

7. Doa December 13th, 2007 at 6:14 am

yehudi,
      how ironic that you think jumping a jew just b/c they’re jew is wrong…but hating a muslim just b/c they’re muslim isn’t.

hmmm…

And please do email me at blondesoul@gmail.com and tell me what this “koran” you speak of says.

8. muslimmatters.org » Young Muslim Man Rescues Jews from Thugs December 13th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

[…] talking about it: MR , […]

9. Egyptian Gumbo December 13th, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Yehudi on December 13, 2007 at 2:28 am said:

lol your telling the wrong crowd….. we are muslims and have read the Quran.. dont act like an expert in a field your not.. go spread your rhetoric on your yehudi blog. :)

10. H. Ahmed December 13th, 2007 at 9:52 pm

the NY Subway rules
      Check out this link:

Im pleased at how the media covered this. Especially the NY Post (owned by Fox News). Its great how in the interview Hassan mentioned how Islam taught him to be kind and courteous.

Sorry, but im gonna play the devil’s advocate here, but i dont really like all the vibe being portrayed regarding how… wow! a muslim helped out a jew – like thats so out of the norm or something. I mean its a nice news story – but even Adler mentioned how that in of itself was a miracle – for a muslim to defend a jew. Its as if he was shocked that one of them Muslims would actually defend a Jew!

Jews and Muslims get along quite well, especially here in New York!

a Muslim defending a Jew – should not be a newsworthy story due to their respective religions. But at the same time it is commendable to show a Muslim hero :)

11. ... December 14th, 2007 at 2:38 pm

wats wif all da hype i mean majority off ppl stop fights and stuff lyk dt cos it sad dt sumone gttin beaten up, does ur religon relli matter?

12. usman December 17th, 2007 at 1:59 pm

i think after this news we as Muslims have a lot of work still to do regarding the portrayal of Islam to our fellow non Muslims.

13. Sallysaphel June 3rd, 2008 at 5:25 pm

I am thinking how it would be on the underground in London, UK, my thougts tell me probably much worse in these current times. I was brought up catholic & my boyfriend, the love of my live is jewish. It is sad when our religion catergories our actions are vice versa. Humility, love & respect for one another are basic human principles not just religion. Too many wars have been started in he name of religion, peace sould be just that – PEACE.

14. badreddine March 28th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

hey YEHUDI, can you tell us what your book said about the palistinian and about women and about killed
      and about palistine, palistine it ours and no body can take it frome us, no USA and no ‘ israel ‘. i dont have any thing bad for the jew, but i have something very very very bad for the ‘ israelien ‘ peopl, because they kill our brother in palistine