U2’s new Album will feature Moroccan Sufi Music!

The power of dhikr:

“We’re just beginning the processes,” Bono told The Independent. “We did some recording in Morocco last year. All the band went to an amazing religious music festival in Fez with some incredible sufi singers. It was a real humbling thing for a punk-rock shouter, listening to these people who just close their eyes for 40 minutes and sing the most sophisticated melodies.” – Bono, band member of U2

SubhanAllah! Can you imagine millions of people who will be listening to some beautiful poetry praising Allah (swt) and sending salawat upon Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)!? Although many of you will shout out haram. It’s not haram for a non-Muslim to use it for their music. It’s also not haram for the millions of non-Muslims to listen to the Sufi melodies. Who knows, maybe some will want to investigate more about Sufism and then start studying Islam. Only Allah knows if this will be a bridge for people to come to Islam.

Shout out to Chuck who posted it on his blog.

Source: Yahoo News

• 56 Responses for "U2’s new Album will feature Moroccan Sufi Music!"

1. Christopher January 1st, 2008 at 8:08 pm

I still don’t think U2 will incorporate sufi music, respectfully or otherwise. From my reading what they have learned from the Sufi’s is the different ‘technical’ approach to composition. Thats the level they are operating on. I don’t think they will venture away from the sound of their ‘rock and roll’ – it’ll just be put together in a different way.

In retrospect, you’re probably right — in reading the original article, they says: “There’s some trance influences. But there’s some very hardcore guitar coming out of the Edge. Real molten metal. It’s not like anything we’ve ever done before, and we don’t think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either.”

They have done some suprising things and taken some odd turns in their career — Rattle and Hum for instance featured seamless integration of black American gospel and blues. I’m eager to see what they do regardless.

Talk of the ‘kafir’ vs the believers here doesn’t help anyone I’m afraid.

I agree — the reference to myself as such was a glib response to some earlier comments, no offense to the host of this blog.

2. Mujahideen Ryder January 1st, 2008 at 8:24 pm

No offense was taken Christopher. Thanks for the comments. 😀

3. cali March 26th, 2008 at 10:04 pm

wow.

i <3 Bono
      Personally I’m looking forward to the album.

4. anotherabdulhakeem March 6th, 2009 at 1:45 am

I know this is old, but as a former Christian who was inspired to go to Turkey and study Islam *through listening to U2 and The Who* I thought I may prove a useful example.

I DID convert as a result, I become a sufi first, but since have tried to become more and more of a plain old Qur’an and Sunnah following Muslim.

So I kind of see both sides of the argument and just have to say Allahu alim.

It’s weird that the same group of Christians who helped fan the flames of my love for Islam are now getting into Sufi music. I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but it’s weird!

5. suleymantheturkishguy July 23rd, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Recently, I became addicted to the U2 videos in youtube and especially some of their songs are extremely inspritaional from faith point of view. I would have liked it very much if the blog owner would pass my comment to the previous commenter (anotherabdulhakeem) for I am very much interested in his experience on U2’s effect to study Islam.

I will pray for U2 to affect more people in searching for God. Bono and the Edge made an appearance in The Jonathan Ross show in BBC1 last week. They probably talked for around 10-15 minutes, and even then, Bono tried to say something about God. It is as if he has got a mission. Everybody has a mission and I am sure Bono is aware of his one.

Jonathan Ross asked how they managed to continue for 31 years as a band. Edge gave a very humble and nice answer. I think, their effort to do good for humanity has been rewarded with chance of doing even more good for fellow human beings. May Allah let them do good and find good in here and hereafter.

6. Anonymous May 21st, 2010 at 6:11 pm

U2 are on friendly terms with Salman Rushdie. What you got to say about that ryder?