Imam Anwar al-Awlaki has been freed! [Confirmed!]

DISCLAIMER: I do not support or condone Anwar al-Awlaki’s support for terrorism. I do not agree with him on his views and opinions on jihad.
Updates:

25/12/2007
Imam Anwar Al Awlaki Released From Custody

Cageprisoners.com can confirm that Imam Anwar Al Awlaki was released from prison on 12th December 2007, after almost a year and a half behind bars in Yemen.

We thank all of you who took action on his behalf and remembered him in your prayers.

If you would like to send Imam Anwar a message, please email us at contact@cageprisoners.com and we will pass it on.

Source

Word on the streets from Sanaa to NYC, Imam Anwar al-Awlaki is free! Alhamdulillah if this is true!

The rumor: Imam Anwar al Awlaki’s wife told a few sisters in Yemen and those sisters told some more and so on. You know how sisters are. Word got around.

Please post up any confirmations and news related to this!

Also check out one of the largest list of lectures by Imam Anwar al Awlaki on Halal Tube.

Disclaimer: Suicide bombing is wrong. Suicide is forbidden in Islam. Terrorism is wrong. Attacking innocent civilians is wrong and I condemn it. I do not support Muslims killing Muslims. I do not support any type of terrorism action whether it is done by a Muslim, Jew, Christian, etc. Please see my comments below for more details on my views and read my Islamic stance here. [This is related to Awlaki’s lectures on Jihad in which I do not agree with.]

• 85 Responses for "Imam Anwar al-Awlaki has been freed! [Confirmed!]"

1. middleway December 22nd, 2007 at 7:46 pm

talib on December 22, 2007 at 1:10 pm said:

brother Yursil

If you actually listened to the jihad lectures, the imam never made takfir of other muslims, nor did he encourage the use of suicide attacks on civilians. He basically chose the opinion of this act to be islamically allowed.

As to the imams lectures whether in its the stories of the prophets or the seerah of prophet mohammed s.a.a.w, or the stories of abubaker and omar all these lectures are one of the best if not the best lectures in english, its very concise, full of background knowledge which every beginner in islamic studies to listen to. All this only shows the imam is worthy of support and worthy of spreading his tapes for years to come insha allah.

Well said bro.

Yursil on December 20, 2007 at 10:06 am said:

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

“in my opinion, did not understand the life of the Prophet (Salallahu’alaihiwassalam) one bit, much less able to teach others about him.”

You talk in a manner as if to say that you are more qualified in your opinion when, it’s clearly apparent you are not.

To suggest that imam anwar did not know what he was talking about when he gave lectures on the prophet pbuh’s biography is a little ignorant to say the least.

Obviously he has opinions on Jihad which i don’t really agree with. You’d have to be a real idiot to suggest that listening to his work on various islamic issues equates to agreeing with all his opinions on islamic matters.

Just like the solution to the ummah is not going to arrive on a sufi flying carpet, i don’t think it’s going to arrive by blowing yourself up either.

2. ExEx Blogger December 23rd, 2007 at 12:13 am

@ Middleway

You gave it. Period.

3. Yursil December 23rd, 2007 at 6:27 pm

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

4. Yursil December 23rd, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

5. Yursil December 23rd, 2007 at 6:56 pm

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

6. ExEx Blogger December 23rd, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Where is your proof that he praises Amrozi???

7. tawheedullah December 23rd, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Yursil on December 23, 2007 at 6:27 pm said:

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

If you believe that someone (Shaykh Nazim ad-Dajjal) could be so self-aggrandizing, egotistical, and sanctimonious, yet still consider him the “Sultan al-Awliya” you have serious mental and spiritual problems.

8. Yursil December 23rd, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

9. Yursil December 23rd, 2007 at 10:18 pm

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

10. tawheedullah December 24th, 2007 at 12:21 am

Yursil on December 23, 2007 at 10:17 pm said:

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

What exactly do you mean by “sealing my fate”? The fact is, you are not a Sunni. You belong to a tiny personality-cult centered around a charlatan most Muslims have never heard of. I was horrified when I saw a picture on your blog of you and your fellow mureeds praying in a musalla full of pictures. And you call yourself a Hanafi?

There are plenty of sound, legitimate people to follow. Follow one of them.

11. aarij December 24th, 2007 at 1:05 am

Brother Yursil,

Please enlighten us with your and your scholars’ views on Jihad:

1. What is Jihad?
      2. Is there any such thing as offensive Jihad?

Much appreciated

12. aarij December 24th, 2007 at 1:07 am

Also, ignoring Yursil for a sec here, is there any proof that the Imam is indeed free?

13. fastaqim.blogspot.com December 24th, 2007 at 6:47 am

“suicide bombing” does not necessarily mean killing innocent people. and Imam Awlaki isn’t the only one that agrees with it. So do Qaradhawi and many others:

They say that this is not considered suicide.

14. talib December 24th, 2007 at 1:37 pm

subhan allah i was also shocked by the pictures in brother yursil’s blog, i would like more information on the groups aqeeda and watsup with the green turban.

15. ExEx Blogger December 24th, 2007 at 10:15 pm

Well of course! With the ever so green turban and multiple pictures in the musala area and shirk stuff in that “temple”, what more can you expect. Imam Anwar is literally their arch nemesis for preaching tawheed whereas these sufis are preaching something else.

16. BostonMuslim December 24th, 2007 at 11:28 pm

Looks like Yursil touched a sensitive nerve here!!!!

In all honesty, i have never heard of the Imam’s lectures but i will probably listen to what brother Yursil has posted and if it’s correct i really can’t see how anyone can defend it. Well you say that you don’t have to agree with him on everything but there is something really awful about somebody advocating for the murder of innocent civilians, and whether that person is a muslim Imam who is well learned in the Quran etc.. or a catholic priest, it does not really make one tiny of a difference to me. they are both horrible. I am not saying that Imam Anwar is horrible because i have not heard his lecture, but if what Yursil is saying is true, i would really question the wisdom of the support he seems to have garnered.

17. middleway December 24th, 2007 at 11:37 pm

Yursil on December 23, 2007 at 6:27 pm said:

Deleted as per request by the commentator.

Salaams Yursil.

“I’m not really here to argue. The proof is in his lectures”

Ok, fair enough, but then you say…..

“If you folks want to take your deen from someone who praises Amrozi the bomber who killed Muslims and non-Muslim civilians alike, giving him as an example of the proper mentality for Muslims.. someone who encourages kids to go to this pseudo anti-civilian ‘golden-age of jihad’… then I have nothing more to say. “

Your like a broken record, you just keep going on and on and on….

Are you really that stupid that you don’t seem to understand, that we do not agree with his views on jihad?

I appreciate that in your sufi way, you blindly follow your sheikh like sheep and decorate your mosque with pictures of him.

However, unlike you, we don’t blindly follow imam anwars opinions. His lectures and views on jihad are not for me.
      On the other hand, his lectures on the prophet (pbuh) , abu bakr(ra) and umar(ra) are possibly some of the best of their kind in the world today. Extremely in depth and concise.

“If you seriously believe that one can understand the Prophet’s (Sallahu’alaihiwassalams) life enough to become famous for giving lectures off of it, and then come to conclusions as completely off-base as that, MashaAllah to you. “

Your way out of your depth here, so here’s an open challenge:
      *Listen to his lecture *specifically* on the life of our beloved prophet (pbuh).

*Once you’ve done that, get back to us and tell me the exact points that you think that imam anwar makes mistakes and, where you think he has lack of understanding.
      Should be interesting…………..

“You can ‘give it’ and take it right back.”

Uhmmm OK.

“I’ll wait for you to take your deen from those who allow serial raping next. “take the good and leave the bad” and all that.”

Quite the drama queen aren’t you?

I’ll wait for you to take your deen from those who allow you to pray in the mosque with pictures of your sheikh on the wall…..uhhh wait, you already do!
      even my 5 yr old cousin knows that this is not acceptable.

I’ll wait for you take your deen from those who allow you to openly do dhikr with women present http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_YYpDRknjU, again this is clearly wrong.

It appears that you don’t have much credibility to talk with authority on the issue of deen either.

Final point, again I feel the need to re-iterate.

Imam Anwar is a man who does hold some very harsh views which I simply cannot agree with. However, you cannot use this as a basis to then assume that all his work is rubbish. That is just pure ignorance.

I pray that allah(swt) guides him and you to the correct path.

18. Yursil December 25th, 2007 at 2:01 am

Salamu’alaykum,

I simply believe that learning about the Prophet (S) is more than just simply regurgitating supposed facts.

The interpretation of that life should lead one to a purified lifestyle. If it leads one to violence either 1) someone got their facts wrong 2) someone interpreted the facts wrong in applying it to themselves.

And not just wrong by say 10%.. something missing here and there.

We are talking about an extremely radical position on the entire life of the Prophet (S), the Prophet of Mercy (S).

Omission is just as important a fault in CD sets, isn’t it? So can someone find for me the fact that the Prophet (S) never killed anyone in battle out of his mercy in Anwars CD set?

If you think nothings wrong with the one cd set .. Allahuakbar… I find hard to believe as usually you guys are the first to say nothing is perfect except Quran.

But regardless, even if nothing is wrong such ‘scholars’ should not be promoted if it leads people to consider his other work as credible, and his work as authoritative for the Western Muslim community.

Frankly, if it got out how bad some ‘scholars’ are it would damage any organization that has had him speak.

Is that too difficult for you to understand? If you think its doesn’t work that way, it may be because you like work the the safety cloud of anonymity.

If you want to know what I think Jihad is, well, alhamdulillah I’m not sure! I’m not a scholar of fiqh, I dont have speeches on anything that anyone wants to buy.

But when I’m asked by my coworkers and when giving dawah, I know what I say. I know Amrozi wasn’t doing Jihad, and I’ll tell that to anyone. I won’t compare his happiness to the Sahaba in battle. I won’t say Zarqawi was doing Jihad by blowing up Muslims and non-Muslims.

Its really kind of sad for me to see, after first denying it.. then being provided all this basic evidence that you anonymous teenyboppers and 20 somethings now turn and blast me. Its really pathetic. But I guess its easy to proclaim people as martyrs when you’re hiding your name and location.

On the other hand, anyone who wants to say this stuff to me and hear answers on pictures and what not, please come meet me in NYC. Then we’ll talk about me.

Finally, I have nothing to do with the video above and the Shaykh present there is not my Shaykh.

MR my humble request is to delete all my posts on this comments except this last one. All the references I dug up, please delete. I won’t comment anymore here.

If you notice I have mentioned no one by name in this post and I will keep it that way.

Salamualaykum.

19. ExEx Blogger December 25th, 2007 at 9:53 am

Of course, again the sufi mureed commands his fellow new yorker mr to delete the posts…because he know that the stuff that he said is false and without proof. And I am sickened how MR quickly runs to Yursils defense by deleting his comments.

@ Yursil,
      If I may add, that your childish and churlish ways in not addressing why you have pictures in your sheep corral with the sheikh is a golden example of how you people evade and refuse to learn the truth. Perhaps insha-allah you should be commenting anymore ANYwhere because i think your sheikh needs to give you ijaza on it.

And by the way, your blanket judgments of an innocent man, Anwar Alawlaki are baseless, disgusting and false. You have no proof to accuse him like this and you just echoing what your shaykh and your people claim. They don’t differentiate between logic and truth and they don’t differentiate between falsehood and lie. Well basically we accept what comes from their mouth and butt all the way.

Well good….Yes, New York. Go and sing you and jump and fell good about yourself and maybe Allah will give wahee to your shaykh and maybe he’ll bless him with a new view on Anwar Al-Awlaki

20. ExEx Blogger December 25th, 2007 at 9:54 am

shouldn’t*
      you’re just echoing

21. Mujahideen Ryder December 25th, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Asalamualykum Shaykh,
      With all due respect, I simply deleted the comments as requested by Sidi Yursil. If you would like any comments deleted on my blog, then please let me know, inshaAllah. It was not in defense but in respect to his respect that I removed the comments. I am very open and free with people posting comments, but if they ask me to delete it then I will delete it. They have that right, since they wrote it and may not want it publicly shown. May Allah (swt) forgive me if I have said anything wrong.
      Ma’salaama

22. Egyptian Gumbo December 25th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Confirmed that he has been released:

25/12/2007
      Imam Anwar Al Awlaki Released From Custody

Cageprisoners can confirm that Imam Anwar Al Awlaki was released from prison on 12th December 2007, after almost a year and a half behind bars in Yemen.

We thank all of you who took action on his behalf and remembered him in your prayers.

23. Asim December 25th, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Allahu Akbar!

24. Mostafa December 25th, 2007 at 11:55 pm

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!!

25. Ahmed.A (London) December 26th, 2007 at 6:39 am

Allahu Akbar! :-)

26. Azeen December 28th, 2007 at 3:50 am

Salaam, now that he is free, if anyone has a chance to interact with him, please ask him direct questions about his views because clarification is sorely needed. I personally would like to read an in depth interview with him on all the criticisms of his statements in relation to terrorism and extremism. Then I can decide conclusively if I think he should be listened to or not. Also keep in mind that people have the ability to change their views. If someone is wrong about something, they can come to realize their mistakes and correct themselves.

27. Azeem December 28th, 2007 at 3:51 am

oops the last comment should be by Azeem*

28. fastaqim.blogspot.com December 28th, 2007 at 6:50 am

“The time I spent in detention was a great blessing from Allah. They were moments of contemplation and study which I was greatly in need of. Alhamdulillah, Allah has blessed me during that time of solitude with tranquility and peace to the extent that at most of the time I was preferring detention over freedom. Now that I am free I ask Allah to enable me to thank Him for his blessings.

“I am greatly moved to know that many of my brothers and sisters have been asking about my situation and praying for my release. I thank them all. May Allah reward all of you with Paradise.”

29. tawheedullah December 28th, 2007 at 4:05 pm

I sincerely hope that Yursil converts to Islam some day.

30. Tamer January 8th, 2008 at 1:51 am

Salamu alikum here is a website where you can download the 1st interview after his relese. http://www.kalamullah.com/anwaral-awlaki.html

31. Nadia January 20th, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Assalamu alaykum,

Mashallah I was so happy when I heard this. Me and my family stopped at a masjid in L.A. for jumuah a few weeks ago, and the imam announced it after his khutba was over. That’s all the confirmation I needed! May Allah allow him to continue spreading the deen. Ameen.

32. tariq February 9th, 2008 at 4:38 pm

congratulations

33. tariq February 9th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Asalaam o Alaikum,
      I went for haj last year and i met one of your coleagues and he told me about your arrest and we all prayed for you ,i am so glad that Allah has answered our prayers so quick. MAY ALLAH GIVES YOU HEALTH AND PEACE IN YOUR LIFE. AMEEN.

34. Abdullah May 4th, 2008 at 5:04 pm

i too do not agree with suicide bombing or attacking civilians but i am interested in why you disagree with Imam Anwar Awlaki’s views on Jihad (beyond the suicide bombings) do you disagree with Jihad?

35. Yursil November 10th, 2009 at 4:07 am

BismillahirRahmanirRahim

“Beware of the vision of the believer, for he sees with the light of Allah,” then he recited the verse, “Surely! In this are the signs for the mutawassimeen”[15:75] (Tirmidhi)