Allah is the best of planners! Giants win!

The outcome of this year’s Superbowl has reminded me of this ayah:

“They plot & plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah” (Al-Anfal:30)

giants-superbowl-champs.jpg

As my good friend ‘Junaid from the Bronx’ always says:

“We can plan whatever we want, but Allah has the better plan.”

The New England Patriots thought they were going to win. The entire country including many NY Giant fans thought the Patriots were going to win. Allah taught us all a lesson. No matter how perfect, how strong, how undefeated a person or group can be, they can be defeated. The Patriots before the Superbowl were 18-0. No loss in the entire 2007-2008 NFL Season. After the Superbowl. Their win count remained the same at 18. The 0 jumped up to 1. Yes this is the will of Allah. So no matter how much George Bush thinks he’s in control, he’s not. Allah can take away the power within a few seconds as what happened to Tom Brady, Randy Moss and the rest of the Patriots. This goes to show you, no matter how much we plan or they plan or whoever plans, there is Allah’s plan. No matter how strong or powerful one side is, there is always the side Allah allows to win regardless of strength.

Congratulations to Eli Manning, Michael Strahan, Ahmad Bradshaw, Plaxico Buress, Amani Toomer, David Tyree and the rest of the New York Giants. We are the Superbowl XLII champions!

david-tyree-superbowl-42.jpg

• 34 Responses for "Allah is the best of planners! Giants win!"

1. Junaid From The Bronx February 4th, 2008 at 2:36 am

We can plan whatever we wanna plan, but Allah swt has a greater plan for all of us.

2. theManofFewWords February 4th, 2008 at 2:41 am

How awkwardly inappropriate it is to quote that aya from the Quran.

On another note I HATE the Giants. Back in my dark ignorant days when I was into football I used to cheer for them until I developed a grudge. Here I was a New Jersean rooting for a team whose stadium in my native state but Identified with NY. What’s up with that? No loyalty! What happened today was a gaybomination!

3. MR February 4th, 2008 at 2:45 am

theManofFewWords on February 4, 2008 at 2:41 am said:

How awkwardly inappropriate it is to quote that aya from the Quran.

How is it inappropriate?

4. theManofFewWords February 4th, 2008 at 4:23 am

Well, I was hoping not to have to go into detail but this aya is clearly referencing the plots of the kufaar against the Prophet alayhi assalaatu was salaam and the Muslims whereas you are using it regards to a football game.

Call me a strict literalist but I had to call you out. Dont get me wrong I am extremely interested as to how you believe it is appropriate. It could very well turn out to be quite entertaining.

5. “Any Given Sunday” « Dr. Esam Omeish February 4th, 2008 at 10:32 am

[…] a Giants fan, but my congratulations to the NY Giants’ fans on a great victory and a great game. The Giants’ defense was outstanding to hold the Patriots […]

6. Tariq Nelson February 4th, 2008 at 10:35 am

as-salam alaykum,

MR, you know that I am a Cowboy fan (over 25 years) but my hats off to you all.
      I say to you:

Enjoy your victory for now. We will get you next YEAR!!! NEXT YEAR!!! NEEEEXT YEARRR!!!! muhahahahaaha!

7. MR February 4th, 2008 at 11:02 am

theManofFewWords on February 4, 2008 at 4:23 am said:

The reason I quoted that ayah was because before the Superbowl game, the Patriots had the upper hand by up to 90% to the Giants. They city of Boston was preparing for the celebration parade before the game even was planned. All the expert sport analysts, sport bloggers, and ESPN, FOX Sports, NFL Network, etc. broadcast commentators basically said the Patriots will win. Statistically breaking down the two teams, the Patriots are dominant on there as well. Everywhere and from every side, the Giants were the underdogs and predicted to be the losers.

In the end the Giants won. The victory was probably the biggest upset in the entire history of any type of sport in America. An undefeated team was defeated.

This is why the ayah came to my mind. No matter how much people say, or how much they plan (the celebration in Boston, etc.) or any expert analysis prediction, Allah has a better plan. It was clearly shown at the Superbowl.

8. Masood from the bronx February 4th, 2008 at 11:20 am

well put MR.

9. zz February 4th, 2008 at 11:57 am

I agree with man of few words…So thats the best thing u learn from ayah?/ an under rated team winning the game?

10. MR February 4th, 2008 at 12:03 pm

zz on February 4, 2008 at 11:57 am said:

It is not the best thing I have learned from that ayah, obviously. All I am saying is that the Giants victory over the Patriots reminded me of that ayah. It’s that simple. No big deal.

11. Baba February 4th, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Salaam. I would have to agree with the others against using any ayah from the Quran for any sort of sports like this. It really is makruh.

12. NS February 4th, 2008 at 2:14 pm

I would have to agree with it being in appropriate but I am still going to the parade.

13. salman February 4th, 2008 at 2:14 pm

salam, ya i agree with Baba that using any ayah from the Quran isnt good and shouldnt be related to the Holy book, astagfurullah!!! :)

14. theManOfFewWords February 4th, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Assaalaamu Alaykum,

Sorry I had to be the one to call you out, but I do appreciate the fact that your mind is thinking in an Islamic framework and that mashallah the Giants won and the first thing you thought of was an ayah from the Quran. However, because this particular aya doesnt fit it doesnt mean that another aya wont. I can think of a few off hand that would be appropriate. Anyway, no harm done.

15. Azeem February 4th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Saad – ChillyoIslamYo.com and I were having a related discussion on this. Is there such a thing as wasting a duah? (like on sports) What if two righteous Muslims are praying for two opposing teams? How will those things weigh in on their destiny?

Some might even go to an extreme and say rooting for your local sports team is a form of Asabiyyah. But that would be going overboard because it would excuse front runners from front running and doesnt account for genuine fans of teams foreign to their residence.

16. touhid February 4th, 2008 at 4:51 pm

yayy… GO DOLPHINS!

[hey, perhaps the superbowl was fixed!! if the odds were soo against the Giants I wouldnt be surprised if the bookers in Vegas pulled any strings — just a passing thought :P]

17. Chuck February 4th, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I don’t see what Allah has to do with a Super Bowl.

Anyway, from a cowboys/titans fan, thanks for putting the patriots where they belong (not in the history books…aka Spygate).

18. Abu Muslim February 4th, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Asalamaulykum
      Theres a brand new interview with Imam Anwar Awlaki over at dhikrullah.

MR, you might wanna make a post on this, in between all the sports posts insha’Allah.

19. packers_fan February 4th, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Good job Giants, thanks for handing the patriots some humble pie. Packers rule though, the only team in professional sports which is a community owned non profit organization.

20. whatsup29 February 4th, 2008 at 9:32 pm

all MR isdoing..is putting the ayah in more practical terms as if it was today…sheesh..no needs to get worked up on the ayah
      and personally the ayah was shown in the superbowl, it doesntmatter if ur an underdog or what..its whatever Allah commands…
      and YAY GIANTS WON!!!!!!

21. Junaid From The Bronx February 4th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

stop hatin!

you guys always be gettin on MR’s case for useless stuff..

if he is trying to show his readers that “the best of planners is Allah”, i dont think there is any harm in that…

22. nveed February 4th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

junaid ur such a liberal
      i agree wth you though

23. Usman Ghumman February 5th, 2008 at 1:13 am

what a game. subhannallah. Watched it with like 20 other brothers. Crazy fun indeed. Felt like we were on the field making the plays at times. The Giants just had a never say quit attitude. So many times there defense could have gave in when Off. was struggling, but they held it down. Insha’Allah I’ll be at the parade tomorrow.

24. Baba February 5th, 2008 at 1:41 am

You know, just seeing this site with all the ads (I usually surf with AdBlocker) tells me that it’s really all just batil nonsense. Let’s try to do a service as Muslim bloggers instead of just looking for cheap ways to drive traffic to our sites. Deenport.com really is kind of dubious at this point.

25. FreeAmir! February 5th, 2008 at 2:08 am

Alhamdulillah, Amir, out of love for Allah, sees Allah in everything….
      U kno, u can call him out in private too..its called email…yea, but then theres no
      ego trip, n u dont get to play darul ifta.

Yeah baby, Free Press!
      Shout out to my boys Nveed, Junaid, n Masood….Salam babies!

26. FreeAmir February 5th, 2008 at 2:11 am

include Usman Ghumman to my shout out.

27. Ilyas February 5th, 2008 at 2:58 am

It really is makruh

actually haram, to give fatwas when one is unqualified.

28. ExEx Blogger February 5th, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I am dismayed how you are reminded about Allah through something namely the Superbowl, a uselss non-important event in one’s life – an event that will NOT help you in your quest for Jannah or greater Imaan. Of course, you wouldn’t be able to draw lessons, morals, spiritual reflections from the ayaat and ahadeeth and the quotations of the salaf and juxtapose it with your Quranic references because you’re so infatuated with worldly things.

29. gone February 5th, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Ilyas on February 5, 2008 at 2:58 am said:

It really is makruh

actually haram, to give fatwas when one is unqualified.

Anyone can give a fatwa and it is not “haram” to do so. Validity of the decision or judgement therein is another story altogether.

30. whatsup29 February 5th, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Ilyas on February 5, 2008 at 2:58 am said:

It really is makruh

actually haram, to give fatwas when one is unqualified.

ExEx Blogger on February 5, 2008 at 2:55 pm said:

gone on February 5, 2008 at 5:41 pm said:

thats wat im saying gone..and i dunno if llyas was regarding his comment to me, but int giving a fatwa….ppl get too overreacted with such thins as this..just chill and take the analogy that MR says in this post..btwn Allah planning everthing..and the Giants winning
      ..MR jus realating what Allh can do with life..

Junaid From The Bronx on February 4, 2008 at 10:43 pm said:

stop hatin!

you guys always be gettin on MR’s case for useless stuff..

I second that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

31. FreeAmir February 7th, 2008 at 12:05 am

ExEx Blogger on February 5, 2008 at 2:55 pm said:

I am surprised at your dismay at some1 remembering Allah, or taking analogy from even an unimportant event…Putting aside the fiqh of watching the superbowl,..everything n anything can and should remind you of Allah…Allah is not too be remembered only on a rug, a couple of times a day,…someone who remembers Allah constantly, and is in love with that remembrance, remembers him at all instances, the most unremarkable events too….If someone wants to say that as muslims we shouldnt watch the superbowl, or t.v 4 that matter, im all down 4 it.,,..but this idea, that only sophisticated, life altering things shud remind one of God, that seems very far from the truth.

32. Dave February 7th, 2008 at 12:28 am

I said that God willing , the Giants will win. And they did!

simple as that

33. Jason April 27th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I hate that catch. David Tyree is stupid

34. fatima January 18th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Assalamoalaikum
      I just read some comments that say that he shouldnt use the ayah, i disagree, no matter what happens in life we should always b thankful to what Allah has blessed us with, his intention is good and victory reminding of Allah and his saying is not bad it shows how strong ur faith is :) keep praying for strength of Iman
      May Allah bless u