Islamic Justice Prevails for 8-year-old Muslim Sister in Yemen

nojoud-muhammed-nasser.jpgThe story is really sad but the outcome is really good. The father and husband were both jailed, alhamdulillah. Basically to sum up what happened to this young Muslim girl. She was forced into a marriage with a 30-year-old man. She was not treated well, so she ran away and went to the court and spoke to Muhammed Al-Qathi, the court judge and he heard her out, although it was never heard of. May Allah (swt) bless Muhamamd Al-Qathi for following Islam and promoting the good and forbidding the evil. May Allah (swt) protect this young sister and all other young Muslim sisters around the world who are forced into these situations. Ameen!

Warning, this article may or will make you cry. Read at your own will:

SANA’A, April 9 – An eight-year-old girl decided last week to go the Sana’a West Court to prosecute her father, who forced her to marry a 30-year-old man.

Nojoud Muhammed Nasser arrived at court by herself on Wednesday, April 2, looking for a judge to handle her case against her father, Muhammed Nasser, who forced her two months ago to marry Faez Ali Thamer, a man 22 years her senior. The child also asked for a divorce, accusing her husband of sexual and domestic abuse.

According to Yemeni law, Nojoud cannot prosecute, as she is underage. However, court judge Muhammed Al-Qathi heard her complaint and subsequently ordered the arrests of both her father and husband.

“My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said.

Nasser said that she was exposed to sexual abuse and domestic violence by her husband. “He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them.”

“Whenever I wanted to play in the yard he beat me and asked me to go to the bedroom with him. This lasted for two months,” added Nasser. “He was too tough with me, and whenever I asked him for mercy, he beat me and slapped me and then used me. I just want to have a respectful life and divorce him.”

Nasser’s uncle, who does not want to reveal his name, is following the case now as her guardian. According to her uncle, after Muhammed Nasser, the girl’s father, lost his job as a garbage truck driver in Hajjah, he became a beggar, and soon after suffered from mental problems.

Thamer is in jail now. “Yes I was intimate with her, but I have done nothing wrong, as she is my wife and I have the right and no one can stop me,” he said. “But if the judge or other people insist that I divorce her, I will do it, it’s ok.”

So far, no accusations have been made against her father, who was later released due to health problems, or Nasser’s husband, who will remain in jail for further investigation.

“So far there is no case and no charges, as Nojoud arrived by herself to court asking just for a divorce,“ said Shatha Ali Nasser, a lawyer in the Supreme Court who is following Nojoud Nasser’s story.

Shatha Ali Nasser confirmed that item number 15 in Yemeni civil law reads that “no girl or boy can get married before the age of 15.” However, this item was amended in 1998 so parents could make a contract of marriage between their children even if they are under the age of 15. But the husband cannot be intimate with her until she is ready or mature,” said Nasser.“This law is highly dangerous because it brings an end to a young girl’s happiness and future fruitful life. Nojoud did not get married, but she was raped by a 30-year old man.”

Nasser confirmed that Nojoud Nasser’s case is not the first of its kind in Yemen, but it is the first time that a girl went to court by herself to ask for a divorce.

“We are not planning to return Nojoud to her family. Who knows? Maybe after a few years the same thing will happen to her again,” said Shatha Ali Nasser. “We are planning to put her in Dar Al-Rahama [an non-governmental organization that works with children], where she can have a better life and education. We do not want her family to pay her expenses, as they are poor.”

Source: Yemen Times

• 12 Responses for "Islamic Justice Prevails for 8-year-old Muslim Sister in Yemen"

1. Tariq Nelson April 11th, 2008 at 11:50 am

Sadly, it sounds like the civil system is who this girl turned to

2. Saffy April 11th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Here is another article from the same news paper :

3. Islamify.com April 11th, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Justice Prevails for 8-year-old Muslim Sister in Yemen…

Eight year old girl was forced into marrying an abusive 30 year old man. She eventually ran away and asked a court for help. Even though she was too young to file a complaint they helped her anyway….

4. Dawud Israel April 11th, 2008 at 11:37 pm

This is why I think all sisters should learn martial arts from early on.

Martial arts lead to better marital life insha Allah.

Give that husband a whack in the head once in a while so he knows what’s good for him!

5. Abul Layth April 12th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

If I had a daughter I would put her into martial arts at 5. Even in the west there are psycho pigs who try and molest little girls, rape them, etc etc. We should arm our daughters with the sword of Safiyyah as she chopped the mushriks head off in war. What a brave girl, may Allah bless and protect her from harm. I hope this event makes her stronger in her aged years.

6. Umm Layth April 12th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Ameen

Insha’Allah it will make her stronger. It’s very sad that her own mother did not stand up for her.

7. Nureen April 12th, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Martial arts? Wouldn’t it be more appropriate for adults to become more seinsitive and stop treating their underage daughters like a peace of meat? How about teaching young girls to stand up for themselves?
      In the west paedophiles do exist, but for a parent to give away their daughter to a rapist, it is unheard of.

8. Muslim1 April 13th, 2008 at 12:47 am

Very sad

9. WeeZie April 13th, 2008 at 1:01 am

It seems that we are more upset about the particulars of the case than the fact that little girl was married against her will. OF COURSEEEEEE things like this are going to happen when you force anyone, let alone a young child who is not old enough to watch PG-13 movies, into a marriage. Does anyone else not notice when she talks about playing in the yard? She is a child. Insha’Allah, may this sort of business stop.

Did anyone else see the riots that broke out in Bangladesh because the government extending some rights to women? That is crazy. How can you oppose women’s rights? Check out the Al-Jazeera video.

masalaam

10. samieh April 28th, 2008 at 2:16 pm

they should make an example of these people, if its rape, execute him. there shouldnt be any doubt in protecting the rights of women and especially children and allahu alim

11. Ted April 30th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

How can a religion prosper when half of it’s members have one hand tied behind their back.

12. Fatmanur... October 18th, 2008 at 6:16 am

Are the parents muslim? Cause if “they are” they would protect their daughter from the start. And an arranged marriage is not good for the people who are going to get arranged in the marriage. Who is the husband?Faez Ali Thamer. He doesnt even deserve that name. He is no better at being muslim aswell. And the fathers name is MOHAMMED. I was SHOCKED. If his name is Mohammed he should act a bit like our prophet Mohammed (pbuh). I dont know but there are alot of stupid people out there, its ridiculous. We are all being tested.
      By the way I am 13 years old and news like this makes me want to punish those people.