The SunniPath and Sh. Faraz Rabbani Break-up

Shaykh Faraz Rabbani recently blogged his departure from SunniPath:

Due to irreconcilable differences, I’m no longer associated with SunniPath in any way (as of early May 2008). I do not answer questions there, nor do I teach any courses there.

In my honest and humble upon, Shaykh Faraz Rabbani = SunniPath. With him gone, SunniPath will be different. Who are the other fulltime scholars of SunniPath? I mean I can’t think of any of the top of my head sadly. I’d have to go to their website and check the listings. I remember getting many emails from SunniPath listing the courses and almost everytime Sh. Faraz Rabbani’s name was on 3/4′s of the courses. The popularity of Sh. Faraz and SunniPath were a combined effort and they both were branded together.

For example you have Shaykh Hamza Yusuf and Imam Zaid Shakir who are synonymous to Zaytuna Institute. Shaykh Muhammad Alshareef and Shaykh Yasir Qadhi who are synonymous to Al-Maghrib Institute. Shaykh Faraz Rabbani was synonymous to SunniPath but as you can see I will have to rid that thought from my mind.

It’s sad to hear this about SunniPath’s booting of Sh. Faraz and/or vice versa. Sh. Faraz said it was due to “irreconcilable differences”. My vocabulary is extremely low (May Allah increase it!), but to dumb it down for people like myself, that basically means SunniPath was no longer feelin’ Sh. Faraz and/or vice versa. They weren’t compatible. Different understanding? Different beliefs? Well, we won’t really know. We only know that it was “irreconcilable differences”.

Sh. Faraz has started his own store called Seekers Media and it appears he is now part of the newly created Razi Institute, which has upcoming events in Toronto, Canada and Deleware, USA.

May Allah (swt) give success to all efforts that is pleasing to Allah. Ameen!

• 22 Responses for "The SunniPath and Sh. Faraz Rabbani Break-up"

1. Mr MOo June 26th, 2008 at 11:42 am

Brother Amir,
      I have worked full time and voluntarily for Muslim organisations for over 8 years now, and these things happen regularly. It is not a bad thing. I am not part of sunnipath, or affiliated in any way (other than by facebook) to Sh. Faraz. I can say this, both Sh. Faraz and sunnipath are sincere and it is hard to find people who will say a bad word about either, and legions who will say good about them both.

As to the ‘breakup’, think of up, I like to think of it as the breakup of a marriage between two great people – close friends will not take sides and merely wish the best for both in their new lives, and wish to draw a veil over what disagreements there were as it was personal.. Sh. Faraz is an excellent scholar, and sunnipath and excellent resource, and everyone will benefit from both in the future, insha’allah.

2. Danya June 26th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Shaykh Hamza Karamali, Ustadha Noura Shamma, Ustadha Zaynab Ansari, those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head :)

Anyways, ya, these things do happen fairly regularly as Mr. Moo stated. I’ve worked a lot with Muslim organizations and there’s a lot going on behind the scenes. Hopefully this will be for the better for both sides insha’Allah.

3. MR June 26th, 2008 at 12:20 pm

@Mr MOo – Yeah I agree. It is for the better of the ummah, inshaAllah. Above all, Allah is the best of planners and His plan is the best plan!

4. Paul June 26th, 2008 at 12:53 pm

However, none of those people actually founded sunnipath. let’s face it, it took years and years of Sh. Faraz’s efforts to get sunnipath where it is today. sunnipath has shown a great lack of integrity in their dealings with the Sheikh.

5. faqir June 26th, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Shaykh Faraz said on deenport:

Just one small point: I’m not setting up a “competing” website. I’m involved in the SeekersMedia/SeekersGuidance project, but that (when fully launched) isn’t meant to be an online academy. And our efforts aren’t (and should never be) about “competing.”

And we are all servants: we all serve Allah; the way of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace); the umma of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace); humanity; and all Allah’s creation. Anyone also striving to serve is a companion and partner–not a competitor.

Why did I make that “To Whom It May Concern” post? Because people keep asking me about my resignation; whether I’m still teaching there; why I haven’t answered questions they’ve submitted; and on and on.

As for why I resigned, the reasons are personal. I have no problem with the teaching itself or teachers or individuals at SunniPath.

6. Omar June 26th, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Sh. Hamza Karamali is my favourite teacher there. So, for me, as long as Sh. Hamza is there, I’ll look forward to quality classes from Sunnipath.

7. Dawud Israel June 26th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

MR: I’m wary that YOU blogging this might cause damage to SP and SM. But I guess your blog has a way with controversy–I think that is why most people come here. :P

I heard about this on Facebook and had a feeling something was happening before it did. Sh. Faraz is a real cool shaykh. I’m a hardcore AlMaghribie but I have to say he is the ONLY shaykh I have met that is willing to talk to and help out Muslims on the web ON THE SPOT. Masha Allah, he’s always come through! Other shaykhs simply ignore their students, let alone random Muslims but not with Sh. Faraz! Not to mention his jokes are pure gold!

8. Umm Zaid June 26th, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Salaam ‘Alaikum

Hey — a lot of the people who were there at the start of SunniPath are still there. What does it take away from a sheikh or an ustadha that he or she wasn’t a founder? Subhan’Allah.

People are going start making something bigger of this and making assumptions that aren’t accurate. I see it hinted at here. Have some husn al-dhann for the people at SunniPath — they are Muslims too, even if their names aren’t as well known.

You are talking about people who are and have been friends and brothers & sisters in Islam. The people at SunniPath.com are willing to answer questions and welcome questions and comments from the students and the public. Why not ask them instead of assuming that someone was treated poorly or hinting that SP.com isn’t worth it anymore? SP.com has always been about more than one person, and any person there will tell you that — from the CEO down to the TAs.

People go in different paths in life, and that’s been true from the beginning. There are so many ways to spread knowledge and da’wah. These paths aren’t competing, they’re parallel paths. SunniPath is growing in some amazing ways these past months. I know that I can’t wait to see what sort of things Seeker’s Media comes up with as time goes by.

I honestly don’t see what was beneficial about this… it’s just going to plant waswasa and encourage tongues to wag. It’s like a Muslim version of ‘People’ or ‘TMZ.’ If you don’t know what happened, then ask, privately, in an appropriate manner.

9. yasmeen June 26th, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Salams Sidi,

For those who have studied with Sheikh Faraz his departure from SunniPath remains a sad episode.The Sheikh is one of the most beautiful and honourable teachers in this time.

Likewise, those that know and have met the senior and junior staff of SunniPath will always respect and love them for who they are and for their selfless service to the Ummah of the beloved.Having worked with them for a good few months, I have no hestation in saying that SunniPath has a remarkably dedicated and honest team.You may not know their names, but they have staff members who regularly work endless hours, driven only by their love to please Allah swt.

Success and fame are two separate issues.

Not all things in life are as black and white as one would perhaps consider them to be.

10. Abdul Razak June 26th, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Whoever knows about any of the issues involved shouldn’t publicize them because it will cause more harm than good.

I wish SunniPath success. It has been a tremendous blessing for Muslims wordwide. I’ve been a supporter of it in the past and I hope to benefit from its teachers in the future.

I also will continue to support Sheikh Faraz in his current and future endeavors.

11. Faraz Rabbani June 26th, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I don’t want to jump in but I second the words of Umm Zaid.

Please note that these “differences” are nothing personal. The teachers and management at SunniPath include some of my closest and dearest friends.

These are people who have built the one really successful Islamic online educational site, and their achievement–and, as Umm Zaid and Yasmeen above make clear, this is an achievement build on the sweat and tireless effort of dozens of sincere and beautiful individuals. Individuals who work long after-hours after grueling jobs–seeking no praise or recognition–striving to seek the pleasure of Allah through spreading beneficial knowledge and serving the umma of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace).

Yes, we had differences, and we’re going our differing ways. But the love and respect is there, unwavering.

Just the other day, I was talking with Shaykh Ashraf Muneeb, and he said that, “If you knew how much I made dua for you and your new projects at the Maqam of Sayyiduna Ja`far [ibn Abi Talib], you’d think I was your partner in them.”

This is the spirit and light we strive to uphold. We differ, but on principle. We cooperate and consider our brotherhood unconditional.

12. Zaynab Ansari June 27th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Let’s try to put forth the most positive construction on the matter.

Now students of sacred knowledge have even more options for distance learning. Both SunniPath and SeekersMedia offer something unique and valuable: reliable knowledge from traditionally-trained teachers.

So let’s not focus on the differences. These should not be our concern. Instead, we should support quality Islamic education wherever we see it.

May Allah Ta’ala give success to both SunniPath and Shaykh Faraz and SeekersMedia, and all other organizations who are striving in the service of this deen!

13. Khadija June 27th, 2008 at 9:45 pm

wow I understand ummzaid’s, shaykh faraz’s and zaynab’s comments…i do
      but this is super sad news still i have to be honest

i can’t help the fact that things w/ sp just won’t be the same for me even with all the encouraging words above

guess it just needs time to sink in…

14. Seeker of Guidance June 28th, 2008 at 11:03 am

Assalamu Alaikum,

We should thank Allah Most High for creating more (online) avenues to seek sacred knowledge.

Allah Most High says, “If you are thankful, surely I will increase you, but if you are thankless My chastisement is surely terrible.”’ (Qur’an 14:7)

?????? ????????? ????????? ????? ?????????? ??????????????? ??????? ?????????? ????? ???????? ?????????

15. A reader June 30th, 2008 at 6:59 am

I’m sure the differences were probably not in relation to aqidah or fiqh rather they are probably administrative in nature. It’s really no big deal if you ask me. I don’t know why in the world people want to speculate and worry about it so much. It’s NO BIG DEAL. Get over it people. Let them all move on. There are many institutes in the world and they will keep growing and separating. I would like to add one thing though, Shaykh Faraz’s blog post complicated the matter a bit. I think if he avoided the “irreconcilable differences” portion and worded it simply saying I don’t teach or answer there it would have led to much less speculation.

16. Mikael Pittam July 1st, 2008 at 2:56 am

Another teacher from SunniPath: Shaykh Abdul Karim Yahya. We had the pleasure of spending time with him in his former backyard, the Bay Area.

Shaykh Abdul Karim is a true gem.

Shaykh Faraz, may all of our efforts in education, e-learning, distance learning and seeking of knowledge be united and fortified by each other.

17. Jonny Jonny July 12th, 2008 at 11:52 am

So what were the irreconcilable differences?

Don’t shoot me for asking. He said it. I’m just followin’ up.

18. Ma’salaama SunniPath, Marhaban Seekers Guidance | MR's Blog September 4th, 2008 at 4:43 pm

[...] many of you, Sh. Faraz Rabbani departed from SunniPath a few months ago and started up SeekersGuidance.com: They recently updated the site with their [...]

19. Hussam February 22nd, 2009 at 4:00 am

May the peace, blessings and mercy of ALLAH be upon you all.

I am a confused muslim.

I do not realy blame myself for being so confused. To be honest, I believe the blame is to be put on our dear scholars….

I am depressed.

Salam alaykum

20. Jonny Jonny April 11th, 2009 at 8:37 am

Still waiting ….

IC

21. atish December 16th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Oh muslims. If you understand
      Allama IqbaLearn to speak the truth, Hnesty, trustworthiness and you will lead the World.

and please dont make islam a commercial business, which you have done now.

22. Fareed Nur al-Din February 19th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

As Salaam Aleykum,

Brothers and Sisters, we should remember the words of the Prophet (SAWS) who said, in effect, that one of the beautiful things about Islam is that you don’t have to, and by extension shouldn’t, get involved in things that don’t concern you. This is obviously one of those cases. Sunnipath is doing well, alhamdullilah, and so is Brother Faraz. Let us wish Allah’s blessing on all involved, and be grateful for all of their help.

Peace, my friends.