The Future of Makkah

This may be a good thing and a bad thing. Good thing will be that the accomodations for hajjis will be easier to control and maintain. The bad thing would be it will turn Makkah into an urban city taking away that traditional village vibe.

The Future of Makkah

[Click on image to enlarge]

• 33 Responses for "The Future of Makkah"

1. Abdullah July 16th, 2008 at 11:14 am

What I don’t understand is, why don’t they knock down the kings palace, and zam zam towers, and the Hilton towers (basically that side, outside the haram) and extend the haram from that direction? It’s obvious the Kings palace is more precious compared to the sacred sites from our history.

Wiping out the traditionality of the sacred sites/places creating modern towers/buildings is the first step towards eradicating the deen off the face of this earth. As towards the end of times it is said that a group of people will look towards the sky and say ‘La ilaha illallah’ whilst others will ask ‘what are you saying?’. The group of people’s response will be ‘We don’t know, but its something our forefathers used to say’.

If these sites are removed, then there is no association or amazement or even questions why those sites are the way they are, and the wisdom behind why they have been preserved. There is no ziyarah to these sites either. Towards the end of time Makkah will be full of sky scrapers and towers. Where is the spiritually in that?

Wassalaam

2. Ahmad July 16th, 2008 at 12:38 pm

This is just an artist’s rendition of it. I’ve seen many renditions that look similar to this urbanization.
      It’s just not going to happen. Plus this concept is cannot be made into reality. The number one issue in Hajj is space and crowds, this is just going to create more problems when you look at it.

“From whats visible above in the picture most of the people from 3rd world countries used to stay on that side of the Haram. How can these poor people from places like India, Bangladesh, Pakistan etc afford to stay in skyscrapers now?”

@Abdullah: You realize you cannot go to Hajj unless you are in a Group Package? Those packages include nights at the included hotels (or skyscrapers). Granted, it may not be very affordable for those Muslims but I doubt that prices will go significantly higher if this urbanization actually takes effect. Economically, in fact, prices of Hajj would decrease because there would be a lot more places to stay than there are today, and competition for hotel rooms would decrease.

So, as stated in the original post, this can be a good or bad thing. Soon if Makkah becomes a lush and luxurious oasis, eople may in fact want to go to Makkah for a “vacation.” And that is a sign of the day of judgement.

3. afifa July 16th, 2008 at 1:13 pm

so this is how its suppose to look. i donnoe about the whole “traditional village vibe” being lost cuz as it is the Haram is surrounded by sky scraper hotels.
      the area that’s been demolished had cheap hotels but during the Hajj majority of people from India, Pak, Bangla don’t get accommodations near the Haram. they stay quite far and usually have to travel by taxis and buses to the Haram. so this would mean better and cheaper accommodations near the Haram.

4. yaser July 16th, 2008 at 3:14 pm

hasbunallahu wa ni’mal wakeel

5. Abdullah July 17th, 2008 at 5:54 am

The side according to picture that is being demolished is the ‘Shamia’ area. I have had relatives travelling from the subcontinent where everytime they have been on Hajj have stayed in that area. The hotels would be classed as ‘minus 5 star’, but at least they could afford it. For them this wasn’t much different to what they were accustomed to back home, being very poor. They were grateful at the fact that Allah had honoured them with the sight of Baytullah and the nastiness of the hotels did not bother them. In fact my auntie stayed there last year, and she was literally 3 minutes away from the Haram. I somehow doubt that the people from the indian subcontinent would travel in taxi’s unless they were very well off.

@Ahmad, Yes I do realise the whole package concept. Without being too naive we need to understand how the economics of all this works. Just because it is an oil-rich state doesn’t mean they can afford to spend all that money on buildings – which is why it is being outsourced to private firms. These firms will need to break even or make profit somehow, and this will be via standard prices – prices which people from the 3rd world will not be able to afford. A lot of the hotels are owned by the same firms (i.e. the intercontinentals in Madina or the Dar al Tawhid, Dar al-Taqwa, Dar al-Iman etc), so they will make sure their prices remain ‘fixed’ – which would mean a lack of competition, the opposite of what you are hoping for. So in reality, what will happen is, these poor people will then have to live on the outskirts of the Haram. When Islam came to abolish distinction between rich, poor, slave etc the people in charge are creating an environment which is totally the opposite.

One solution for the poor may be to open up the Kings palace for the poor to stay….and that is the day when sheeps will fly!

I suppose the only bit of benefit I can see from the towers, is the shade they will provide mid-afternoon.

6. Aftab July 17th, 2008 at 6:04 am

Mekkah going all that hi-tech with all those buildings, as long as it serves the purpose for the pilgrims thats the main concern, but i fear that this high life will make them forget there purpose too of Hajj and Umra and they will be more into Dunya, so simplicity is sometimes the best way.

7. Abdallah July 17th, 2008 at 1:48 pm

I know this is off topic but does anybody know how to download the songs from MR Radio? Your help is appreciated.
      Salam

8. afifa July 18th, 2008 at 5:07 am

@Abdullah: wen my relatives came from Ind n Pak they stayed pretty far. ya i was wrong wen i sed tht people from Ind, Pak n Bangla stay far, itz not only them. i think it depends upon the group you go with. Makkah has more hotels than houses. you’ll find hotels with flags on them representing the country that’ll stay there during Ramdan and Hajj n these hotels can be as far as 10 km or more from the Haram n only very few provide transportation facilities. u cant walk that much man.

9. A reader July 18th, 2008 at 9:26 am

Traditional village vibe? Since when did Makkah have the village vibe? That was centuries ago. Makkah can be like any other modern city, and why shouldn’t it be? It seems to me when some Muslims think about Islam and Shari’ah they imagine a desert oasis, tents and camels … guys, this isn’t hollywood. We’re in 2008. Live and let live.

10. sak July 18th, 2008 at 11:48 am

that is the most hideous development ive ever seen. it looks like something out of star trek or something.

theres nothing wrong with development, theres prob a definite need to build more hotels and what not, but the architecture and scale should be in line with the city and environment. aside from the aesthetic nastiness of this thing, it completely dominates the city and the haram.

i really hope this isnt the final result.

11. Abdullah July 18th, 2008 at 12:02 pm

@afifa – 10km or more from the haram? Somehow I doubt it…..lol.

That means these people could do umrah everyday. Masjid A’isha is approximately 4.8km away. The furthest hotel would probably be 2km away at the most. Believe me, you can walk it to Masjid A’isha and put on your ihram/make intention and walk back to perform umrah. An elderly man in our group was known for this, where he would perform 8 tawafs a day. In Madina he would walk to Masjid Quba for tahajjud every night before returning for fajr. I remember he used to call his two sons (in their late 20′s) who were accompanying him ‘lazy’.

@ A reader – Whenever I go to the Haram, I would like to see it as traditional as can be. I want to leave behind my life in the west and go on a spiritual journey. I want to walk to each and every point in and around the Haram and I want it to remind me of the Prophet (sal’Allahu alayhi wa-sallam), Ibrahim, Hajar, and Ishmael (alayhi salam), I want it to remind me of the Sahabas, I want it to remind me of the scholars from the early generations. If I want to be reminded of New York, or Tokyo, I’ll go to New York or Tokyo. If you really want the Haram to be in the 21st Century, why don’t we commission an architect to redesign ka’ba so it reflects our time?

They are going to have shopping complexes within these hotels. There is a hadith where the Prophet (sal’Allahu alayhi wa-sallam) is reported to have said (and I’m paraphrasing here) towards the end of time people will be coming to Hajj with the intention of trade.

If it was up to me personally, I would knock down all the hotels around the Haram and put them in the outskirts of Makkah. Provide a tube/train/tram service to the Haram and back every 2 minutes and then leave the Haram as it should be!

12. afifa July 18th, 2008 at 12:56 pm

@Abdullah : subhanallah! what did that old man eat? no bro hotels are pretty far off. n ya i agree with you that when you go to Makkah you want it to be a spiritual journey but sadly theirs not much left of the past there.

13. Asif July 18th, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Sahih Bukhari:
      Volume 1, Book 2, Number 47:

Narrated Abu Huraira:
      ….

When the shepherds of black camels start boasting and competing with others in the construction of higher buildings. And the Hour is one of five things which nobody knows except Allah.
      …..

————————

Volume 3, Book 30, Number 102:

Narrated Usama:

Once the Prophet stood at the top of a (looked out from upon one) castle amongst the castles (or the high buildings) of Medina and said, “Do you see what I see? (No doubt) I see the spots where afflictions will take place among your houses (and these afflictions will be) as numerous as the spots where rain-drops fall.”

14. Salman Ahmad July 18th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Assalam 0 alaikum people … I dont have a lot of knowledge about all this, I am a very passionate Muslim and would definitely like to say something about this … and this is what I have to say …. Referring to this part in Abdullah’s comment

“Shaykh Hamza was shown pictures of the Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia once where the person thought he would be impressed. Instead he looked at it and quoted the hadith regarding tall buildings towards the end of times.
      They are going to have shopping complexes within these hotels. There is a hadith where the Prophet (sal’Allahu alayhi wa-sallam) is reported to have said (and I’m paraphrasing here) towards the end of time people will be coming to Hajj with the intention of trade”

So…. All this is MEANT TO BE ….. as per our religeon and as per our Prophet (May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) … doesnt really matter what we think or say ….

Allah’s is gonna MAKE man do what he has Planned for us to do ….

May Allah give us a chance to prepare ourselves for that day … Ameen ..

Shukran …. Wassalam …

15. Arslan July 18th, 2008 at 10:17 pm

How can the King, as custodian of the holy sites, allow something like this. Those sites are supposed to be preserved; not swept away in the flood of “modernization.”

If the King is going to allow things like this to happen, maybe he shouldn’t be allowed to hold the title of custodian any more.

16. A reader July 20th, 2008 at 9:27 am

@ABdullah — Why be so selfish? You want to live in all modernity with hi-tech gadgets but you wish the normal people of Makkah to be cave-dwelling nomads? Why shouldn’t they reap the benefits of modernization? Why do you want them to suffer? Why do you want to impose your medievel movie-scenario understanding of the holy cities on everyone else? There is nothing unislamic about developing the Haram. In fact, it’s probably the most islamic thing to do. Muslims need get rid of the double standards especially those in the west. What enjoyment do you get form looking down upon people? You want people to kiss your feet when you visit the “Traditional” holy cities? You want a heros welcome, don’t you?

Pathetic.

17. MuslimahBloggerer July 20th, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Scary.

18. Usman Akhtar July 21st, 2008 at 12:01 am

@ A reader

dang b, those are some pretty harsh words. I really don’t think you have to take it that far – smile, it’s gonna be ok – :D,

You have to remember that most of the pilgrims that come are not people who live in the west, and can’t afford these giant hotels. I’m sure the King has good intentions, however these hotels aren’t really going to benefit the pilgrims, except for the small percentage that can afford them. They are really going to fall in the trap of luxuries, and completely miss out the actual experience in itself. I don’t want to undermine the kings intentions, but it seems to me that this is really more of a business opportunity than development for the haji’s.

I completely agree with Abdullah, we NEED a train system that takes people to al-haram, and have a city of hotels, and shops AWAY from the actual haram itself. Emergency stations, and food stations right there, near the haram, should be managed by the “Custodian” himself, the way it used to be. Unfortunately that may never happen, but it would solve the problem for pollution, littering, excess luxury, theft, beggars (yeah i said it), And the huge amounts of rush that’s made so people can go shopping.

And one thing that really bothers me, is why on earth all of the businesses there are non-muslim owned. That’s the most ridiculous thing ever. Here Muslims have the perfect opportunity for business, but McDonalds, KFC, Hilton Hotel, are making the big bucks. That’s even more ridiculous than that halal foods company that’s owned by jews, i think its called al-safa.

I think i need to go and write a letter to the king!

19. Usman Akhtar July 21st, 2008 at 12:21 am

One more thing, why does the masjid have to have gold chandeliers and imported marble for floors, when a fraction of those billions of dollars could completely change the lives of the oppressed muslims all over the world. The masjid is important, and deserves attention, but only for the muslims who will go TO it, in other words a masjid is FOR the muslims, and that shows the distinction in the priority that the muslim and the masjid has.

If you were planning on buying a house or a car, and then your brother gets cancer and he needs money for chemo therapy – what would you do? Ignore him, and get the house anyways. Well then in the same manner, why is the unnecessary exhaustion of money happening onto the masjid when there are muslims right now who are the victims of war crimes?

20. Abdullah July 22nd, 2008 at 2:29 am

@ A reader – A very emotional response there my dear brother/sister. May Allah forgive me for my shortcomings. May Allah continue to increase you in hikma. Ameen!

In none of my posts did I say I want to see the people in Makkah to be cave dwelling nomads, how you came to that conclusion I will never know.

You naturally come to the conclusion that the people in Makkah want a modern city – how did you arrive at this?

Any modernisation of the Holy sanctuary and its surroundings will be to benefit the tourists/Hajjis and not the people of Makkah. Which is why I’m all for building a hi-tech materialistic environment but on the outskirts of Makkah and not around the Haram itself.

I sincerely encourage you to read my posts again and then read your last post to see how wide off the mark it went from the actual discussion taking place. As muslims we should all be constructive in getting our points across rather than getting emotional and ‘burning flags’.

Forgive me.

Wassalaam

21. A reader July 22nd, 2008 at 1:01 pm

“burning flags”

Arrogance, shall I say?

There is one habit that all western Muslims seem to be acquiring lately and that is arrogance. Abdullah, not all Muslims outside of the west are “flag burners” who want a normal peaceful life, just like what you enjoy in your New Yorks and Londons. We want Makkah to be the best city in the world. We want all the modern (halal) technology, modern architecture, modern buildings, modern hotels, modern restaurants, modern cars, modern gadgets, etc. INSIDE and AROUND the Haram because there is NOTHING UNISLAMIC about it, as long as their use is Halal or unless Muslims scholars deem it haram. As long as its legitimate, we want it in our (yours and mine) holiest city on the planet, i.e. Makkah (and in extension Madinah).

Makkah has always been developed and no this is not a trait specific to the Wahabis. Throughout the ages, as the world developed. Makkah also developed. Just look at the architecture from the times of the Ottoman, which can clearly be seen around the Haram. That construction included the most expensive and most fancy type of materials available at that time. Oh, let’s not forget the cage built around the noble grave of the Prophet, around the piece of earth which is even better than the ‘arsh. That fence/cage is PURE GOLD and that was done centuries ago by the most sufi and the most spiritual ‘ulama, the likes of whom might not even exist today. Don’t you think they knew a bit more than you on what is de-spritualizing and what is not? Why did they spend all the money for putting up a GOLD cage/fence or wall .. whatever you want to call it. I can go on with this but I’ll leave it at that. I don’t expect you to agree with me, because I’m a worthless Muslim who does not happen to live in the enlightened “West”.

Your attitude is sickening.

22. A reader July 22nd, 2008 at 1:05 pm

“I don’t get why they are making hotels on an already crowded area. The masjid itself barely has room for the people now in hajj time, i was there two years ago, and it was PACKED. Eventually in like 50 years they’re going to have to tear all these buildings down, so there is room for people who are actually there for the reason to be there, PRAYING. C’mon being comfortable in modern times is one thing, but the whole 5 star hotel crap has no parallels with the way the prophet SAWS prescribed the human lifestyle for us.”

Oh, so you want it all packed and crowded in downtown Manhattan but not in Makkah, eh?

The Prophet’s prescribed lifestyle is *NOT* just for Makkah my friend. His call was universal, his message was universal. Why don’t you start by asking to tear down all the other 5 star hotels in other countries first?

23. Abdullah July 23rd, 2008 at 12:19 pm

@ A reader. Burning flags was a metaphor for the stereotypes of angry muslims who get emotional and rave and rant without any substance.

All western muslims and arrogance? Masha’Allah, the way you are generalising everybody here – you must be somebody who is well connected with the ghayb. How you look into peoples heart amazes me.

**We want all the modern (halal) technology, modern architecture, modern buildings, modern hotels, modern restaurants, modern cars, modern gadgets, etc. INSIDE and AROUND the Haram….**

Is this WE the 1.6billion muslims you are speaking on behalf of or are you just speaking for yourself?

I’m glad you mentioned the past scholars and the ottomans etc. These points actually support my argument more than yours. The past scholars and ottomans beautified/expanded the two sanctuarys whilst preserving our heritage. I’m all for that!

What we are witnessing is not an expansion of the Haram but the building of living space/hotels/scyscrapers. All at the expense of our heritage, like the houses/birthplaces of key sahabas that have been demolished. Some even turned into toilets.

**I don’t expect you to agree with me, because I’m a worthless Muslim….**

No, I don’t agree with you because I believe I have a sound argument. Thats all!

This will be my last response to you insha’Allah as reading from some of your response they come across very negative and this will eventually turn into feeding each others egos.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one my dear brother/sister. May Allah bless you and forgive me.

Wassalaam

24. Ibn Masood July 27th, 2008 at 11:27 pm

I don’t get how the preservation of heritage’ sites are that important to the preservation of the deen? The deen is preserved in the Quran, the Sunnah, and the works of ours scholars. We don’t need traditional looking buildings or environments to preserve our deen or cultivate our Eman, what we need is Taqwa of Allah swt. I agree, no doubt that too much dunya will be difficult for Eman to be nurtured in the hearts of believers… but I don’t see anything wrong with this development. This isn’t necessarily dunya, it’s modern development of our time to house and provide pilgrims with the best facilities for comfort while allowing them to still focus on their ibaadah of Allah swt in His holy city by allowing convenient access and space.

I think It’s actually a step forward, it’s about time to shift the power and influence to Islam.

Personally, having been to the city a couple of times, I have to say that the city does nothing for the experience. What matters more is how much the umrah, the hajj, the salah in the masjid, the tawaf, the halaqas in the masjid can do for you. What matters more is what the sight of the kaabah does for your heart, how you feel humbled by being there, and by how your increased Eman affects your Salah and the effect the Quran has on you.

Remember, even in the sands of a blowing desert, with palm trees and an oasis, surrounded by camels… remember that one can still get lost in the dunya, and lose that connection with Allah swt, just as many of the Quraish and their predecessors did.

Btw… my main question lol… MR akhi where did you get this image?

25. achmad shonny archaul August 23rd, 2008 at 8:54 am

look to me it’s spactacular. but it’s beter that would be balanced all away a round of mosque.

26. achmad shonny archaul August 23rd, 2008 at 9:17 am

i have another brainstorm, how to solve the capacity of sa’i area wich is nowdays or otherways in the future must could not sufficient anymore to serve the hajj. my suggestion, this sa’i area should be rice up to become 2 or event 3 stories.

27. a malaysian architect February 7th, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for the blog, the 1st intelligent muslim blog I have come across.
      I am a hajj myself and an architect in practice in Malaysia.

I read in the Islamica magazine (US based) sometime ago on the future development of makkah that it’s bottom line is to wipe out the traces of holy prophet’s traces and history. for fear of ‘bidaah’(idolatory of him)- well thats the Wahhabi logic anyway. Hence they are too happy to bulldoze the old library (believed to be prophet’s birthplace).

‘ A City with No History is like a Man with No memory’,
      do we want this to happen to Makkah, the holiest city for muslims?

Now that they SA are cash rich and feel a bit arrogant, they feel its right to compete with New York’s skyscrapers. Who are the owners of these buildings and their operators?Financiers ? US, Europe, Jews- international hotel chains? While they cant physically cant be in the holy land, their ‘invisible hand’ certainly can, thro their wealth.

While I am of the view that some of the old mudbrick structure are no longer safe nor sustainable for future hajj accomodation, I think the whole are MUST BE PRESERVED AS A HERITAGE SITE!

Any new developments and future accomodation for zillions must be developed OUTSIDE this ring. Instead develop the best transportation system to ferry people between their hotels and the masjidil haram.

well. thats my 2riyal worth of thoughts.

28. reader April 6th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

no one will want to visit the kabah at this rate its like qiyaamat is drawing nearer and nearer tha everyone will flee from makkah dont you think theyll do this by the so called future of makkah getting built
      another point is that the sacredness of the kabah will go it wont be like visiting the kabah i dont know what it’ll be like hope i get to see th kabah before this happens

29. achmad shonny archaul April 9th, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Ass. Wr. Wb.

dears Architects,
      There is a wise word “late is better than non”. We all know that someday in the near future, our Masjidilharram will not sufficient anymore for hajj and/or event others ibadah. Therefore the only way to solve this problem is “design”.
      We are as muslim architecs is being challanced to think it over of.
      Please do.

Salam,
      Shonny, medijavanean.com

30. Islam December 9th, 2009 at 9:06 am

The muslims have not made any achievement in the last 100 years. With the discovery and sale of oil it should have been a blessing giving the muslims BILLIONS to spend on infrastructure and education. Instead the British and French divided up the muslim land in 1924 and the muslims have been on a downhill road from there.

If the muslims can beautify the holiest site surely this is a positive, who says we have to live in the desert and ride camels etc. Just look at masdar city in Abu Dabi, the FIRST carbon zero city in the WORLD. Thats a muslim achievement. I think we should look at the bigger picture and as long as nothing against islam is taking place, allow it.

Mecca was the trading capital of the world at the prophet (pbuh) time, it brought people from all over the world, it was the most MODERN of that time, and so what stops us making it the most MODERN of today?? As long as when the adhaan sounds, all trade and worldly acts stop, and everyone heads to the masjid to pray, surely theres no harm here.

Please brothers and sisters open your hearts and lets support our brothers and sisters. This takes a lot of architecture, engineering and construction skill, inshallah maybe one day we will have high speed trains under mecca linking it to all major cities of the muslim world! The same planners could make the first car free city in the world by using this oil money to invest in state of the art public transport. Heavy investment in science and research, incase you’ve forgotten muslims were the leaders of the world in science technology philosophy maths and architecture. Inshallah we will lead the world in morals and spirituality too.

31. nour March 30th, 2010 at 3:35 am

I have been visiting the Holy land since 1988. I have experienced the gradual increase in price for umrah and Ziarah, it always goes up and never down. I fear that many will find it difficult to save money in the future except the wealthy. If the Saudi Govenment can ensure price is affordable for average people then Allah will give the reward to them. If otherwise they have to be answerable to Allah . Surely Allah wants people of all walks of life to perform Hajj and Umrah.

Assalamualaikum

Thanks.

32. Ikram Jamaluddin May 14th, 2010 at 3:20 am

While I agree that efforts to increase the accomodation capacity of Makkah for Hajj and Umrah is necessary, I do not agree with the way it is being done.I would prefer the inner ring to be transformed into budget and semi-budget hotels and apartments to cater for the majority of the Muslims who go to Makkah for Hajj and Umrah.The design of these hotels and apartments should reflect Islamic architecture which can be drawn from different Muslim countries in the world. The middle ring should cater for the luxury towers and 5 star hotels and apartments.But they are connected to Masjidil Haram by a rapid transit system. Huge . glittering shopping complexes shouid not be there. Modern bazaars should be.People coming to Makkah have religious intentions in their minds and should not be be diverted to do shopping. They can shop in Jeddah or Madinah.

33. Omar El-Falahi June 28th, 2010 at 8:52 pm

It looks amazing, but I think the hotels are too far away and might be too expensive. Also, it is ok make it modern, but this is going to take billions of dollars to make. Mecca only needs more hotels and a little more expansion. Too bad the Saudis are only going to use the money on wasteful buildings, and wait till they run out of oil soon, no longer being able to maintain these strucutres, all collapsing near mecca. They should really give this money to Yemen, which is very poor and is really trying hard and begging for money. Too bad they hate us Yemenis so much, and don’t try to disagree, because the level of prejudice their is something I have never seen before…