The first ever Islamic event to be held at the famous Jacob Javits Convention Center will be Al-Maghrib Institutes one-weekend seminar, Torch Bearers, taught by Sh. Waleed Basyouni. I’m pretty impressed that Al-Maghrib and Qabeelah Tayybah (the student tribe in NYC) were able to reserve and book this place. Shout out to the brothers of Tayybah who are working hard in promoting it and organizing everything. May Allah (swt) reward them with jannat-ul-firdaus.

I’m also really amazed and love the website they made just for this course: LegacyOfGreatness.com

Here is their trailer:

Details for the seminar can be found here. Register here to take the class.

Word on the streets say they are expecting well over 500 students. After almost 2 years of not taking any Al-Maghrib classes, I am breaking my silence and enrolling for this class. You can thank mu wife, haha.

• 20 Responses for "The First Islamic Event at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City"

1. Hifzin114 October 23rd, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Don’t forget about the sisters! They worked hard to promote the event too. IA the class will be beneficial.

2. ... October 23rd, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Awwww , how come I didn’t hear any Takbeeeeeeeer?

3. Salam October 23rd, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Al-Maghrib has taken Marketing (Dawah in the West) to another level. They realize how difficult it is to attract “a lot” of Muslim Youth to Islamic programs, so it seems like coming out with a “blockbuster movie trailer” is the way to go. Obviously this is not for “deep” learning, but hopefully it will plant the seeds of love for Islam, and a further desire to study this deen. May Allah reward Al-Maghrib for their efforts.

4. Hifzin114 October 23rd, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Takbeer. Allahu Akbar.
      Ameen

5. ahmad October 23rd, 2008 at 9:44 pm

I can’t attend, even though i reaaaalllly want to.

6. Exit9 October 23rd, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Better version of the trailer is here —

7. Exit9 October 23rd, 2008 at 11:21 pm

And the site was designed by Exit 9 Designs —

8. Zaynab October 24th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

“ahmad
      I can’t attend, even though i reaaaalllly want to.

Will this be posted online or whatever so people who didnt attend can still listen?”

– Yup! It’s being aired tonight at 8:30pm at http://www.almaghrib.org/ilminar/

9. Hifzin114 October 24th, 2008 at 5:11 pm

I enrolled for Torchbearers a while back, but i can only go for one day. I have a midterm on monday. Please take a laptop or something so you can e-mail me notes. Or maybe we can compile notes with everyone since like the whole Samad clan seems to be going. lol.

I missed the Love Notes exam and I don’t want to miss another one.

10. genieyclo October 25th, 2008 at 1:53 pm

The trailer seems like a trademark Belal Khan vid…anyone know if he made it?

11. Abu Ibrahim October 25th, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Good God Almighty. That was a fantastic trailer. Mashallah. I’m definitely embedding this one.

12. QasYM October 26th, 2008 at 1:18 am

Yes, Belal Khan made the video. http://www.leechon.com/

Good stuff MR. InshaAllah you will benefit from the class as much as everyone else. If you’ve never been in the same room as Shaykh Waleed before, get ready to be W O W ed!! big time.

13. haytham October 26th, 2008 at 10:00 am

Hosna (Student body of AlMaghrib in Houston) was the first to get this class and MAN IT ROCKED.

I was moved the “never heard before” scholars that the shaykh brought to our attention. Their lives in details. Not just a biography of when he was born and when he died… but more like where did he earn his money from, his relationship with his wife.. (or a there are couple of female scholars… ops.. did i spoil the surprise for you :) )

Anyway… this seminar is great… MR.. who knows i might actually see you face to face :)

14. Hadam October 27th, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Hifzin, and anyone else who might have to miss a day or so, we have program called Project Professional Notes. Basically a team of the students compile all their notes from the class as well as the info from the notebooks into one big study guide. It’s proven to be a great success alhamdulillah and inshallah they plan on doing another for Torch Bearers.
      All you have to do is email them when they’re done for a copy at:
      Tayybah.ProfessionalNotes@gmail.com

15. amad October 27th, 2008 at 11:50 pm

I’ll see you at TB inshallah MR.

It’ll be interesting… Sh. Waleed is an old friend, so backstage baby 😉

16. MR October 28th, 2008 at 8:40 am

@amad – Nice! I have some questions for Sh. Waleed that isn’t for anyone. We should blog about this historical event in NYC.

17. amad October 28th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

maybe, we can steal/cross-post your thoughts so i can concentrate on chilling :) … i’ll definitely try… make sure to bring ur camera…

i hope we can do dinner with sh.waleed… I have already mentioned about you to him… we were communicating about TDC and how it would be nice if you came there, with your perpsectives of having attended other major conferences… so he knows you already (kinda!), and hopefully IF we go out to eat, you can come along (if your wife permits you of course 😉 )

18. haytham October 28th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

@ amad… i ll bring my camera inshaAllah… got some serious zooming capabilities alhamdulillah..

This is gona be fun.. Amad.. when are you flying in? I will be in Newark around 10:30 PM Thursday night.. where you staying? email me lemme know

19. Tayybah October 28th, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Unfortunately This seminar will not be held at the Javitts Center.

There were a number of critical issues that became apparent that they would not provide. instead this seminar will be held at The NY Marriott Marquis Hotel on 1535 Broadway.

For more information check out http://www.tayybah.com

20. ahmadi November 6th, 2008 at 8:16 am

Reminds me of the Sirah Tour guys from the UK. http://www.sirahtour.com they usualy do websites for their events.