journey-to-mecca-movie-ibn-battuta
Update: Shaykh Khalil sent me the trailer. I can’t embed but it’s on facebook here.

Movie synopsis:

Ibn Battuta is one of the greatest travelers in history, journeying three times further than Marco Polo. JOURNEY TO MECCA IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF IBN BATTUTA tells the story of Ibn Battuta’s perilous and awe-inspiring two year journey from Tangiers to Mecca in the 1320’s, and includes extraordinary footage of the Hajj as it was experienced in the 14th century, and as it is experienced today by millions of people — images never seen before on the Giant Screen.

Belal from Leechon says:

I HIGHLY recommend EVERYONE to go see this film in the IMAX and bring ALL your friends along. The movie is about 45 mins long and follows Ibn Batutta beginning his journey with the Hajj.

Visually this film is a beautiful eye-candy treat. They’ve taken you into the past of what it was like to go to Hajj in the olden days and have paralled it with what it’s like today.

The filming of this movie was done last year and they’ve done a mighty fine job.

I just need to find out if it’s showing near me.

Thanks to David, here is the official movie website (currently under construction). You can also find it on IMDB and Big Movie Zone.

• 16 Responses for "Journey to Mecca with Ibn Battuta (IMAX Movie) [Update with trailer!]"

1. Hajra December 31st, 2008 at 11:17 am

sounds good!
      inshaAllah i will watch it if i can get my hand on it 🙂

2. Ayoub December 31st, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Before I was muslim, i read about Ibn Battuta. I never knew why he was soo underrated in the west; he pretty much travelled further than Marco Polo.

3. Kearns December 31st, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Actually, Ayoub, there are some scholars who are convinced that Marco Polo never went any further than about Tehran, and he just plagiarized Ibn Battuta since Europe had no way to check sources. Most damning is the fact that there is no record of Marco Polo in China, and their records are very detailed, so much that there is record of Ibn Batutta even though he didn’t claim to have been in the royal court, etc.

4. Kearns December 31st, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Here’s the website: http://www.journeytomeccagiantscreen.com/ not much yet…

5. Journey to Mecca in IMAX | Media With an Islamic Framework | Leechon Films December 31st, 2008 at 3:57 pm

[…] Kearns (a fellow Muslim blogger) posted on Mujahideen Ryder’s Blog the website that’s under construction: […]

6. Arif December 31st, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Wow Masha’Allah, that is sooo awesome! I also loved Ibn Battuta and now there is a whole movie on him! Can’t wait!

7. osman December 31st, 2008 at 5:00 pm

cool…is this going to be a DVD release? because I doubt it will get any significant IMAX exposure. I really want to see it.

8. genieyclo December 31st, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for the post, Amir! Greatly appreciate it!.

9. AlBaraa December 31st, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Osman,

The company that’s distributing the movie has projected for the revenue to be many millions of dollars. They’ve actually made two versions of the film. One with Music and one w/o Music to cater to the Muslims throughout the world.

The major target of this production really is Muslims. The release is indeed limited, but the distribution plan is setup to be quite strategic and focused.

Although its rare for film to make a profit in the theatrical circuit, I’m pretty confident that these guy’s will do just fine in that area due to their focused approach.

10. Sista January 1st, 2009 at 12:22 am

Thanks for posting!! I’m so excited. 🙂

11. chantal January 11th, 2009 at 9:36 am

Great film everyone should see it, amazing cinematography and great cast especially the leading guy.

12. Zu January 12th, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Alhamdulilah I’ve seen the movie… it’s breathtaking.

13. MOHAMMED January 15th, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I have seen the movie, It was very well directed and Very well acted, I pray to Allah to grant him Paradise.

14. Ibn Battuta’s Journey to Mecca - IMAX Movie | MR's Blog February 13th, 2009 at 10:38 am

[…] posted this a while back, but I’m posting again since they have updated their website here with more […]

15. Nazia April 10th, 2009 at 10:55 pm

this movie was amazing i just saw it today and i was in awe. I cant express in words how amazing this movie was and made me realize how convienent it is for us to go to Hajj compared to what our elders had to go through.

16. Surjorimba Suroto May 21st, 2009 at 11:11 am

I just saw the movie today at IMAX Keong Emas, Jakarta, Indonesia. It’s a magnificent movie, well directed, well delivered, and well pictured! I’ve recommended all my friends to see this while it’s still avail. It brings back all beautiful memories during hajj. Haram and Mecca are different today, compared on on what we see in this movie. Many buildings are gone and we’ll see the new Mekkah in two or three years from now.