Abu Bakr’s (ra) Inaugural Speech

After the ummah gave their allegiance to Abu Bakr (ra), he said this:

O People! I have been put in authority over you and I am not the best of you. So if I do the right thing then help me and if I do wrong then put me straight. Truthfulness is a sacred trust and lying is a betrayal. The weak amongst you is strong in my sight. I will surely try to remove his pain and suffering. And the strong amongst you is weak to me I will – Allah willing – realise the right from him fully. When obscene things spread among any nation, calamities generally continued to descend upon them. As long as I obey Allah and His messenger, you should obey me, and if I do not obey Allah and His messenger, then obedience to me is not incumbent upon you. (Now prepare for prayer).

Source: An email, Imam Anwar Al Awlaki’s Lecture series on Abu Bakr as Siddiq (ra)

Arabic:

(خطبة أبو بكر الصديق عند توليه الخلافة (11 هجرية

تكلّم أَبو بكر رضي اللّه عنه بعد أن بَايَعَه الناسُ بالخلافة فَحَمِدَ اللّه وأَثْنَى عليه بالذي هو أهْلُهُ ثم قال:

أما بعدُ، أَيُّها الناسُ فَإِني قد وُلِّيتُ عليكم ولست بخيركم فإِنْ أَحْسَنْتُ فَأَعِينُونِي وإِنْ أَسَأْتُ فَقَوِّمُوني. الصِدْقُ أمانةٌ والكَذِبُ خِيَانَةٌ . والضعيفُ فيكم قويٌّ عندي حتى أرجعَ إليه حقَّه إن شاء اللّه، والقويّ فيكم ضعيفٌ عندي حتى آخذَ الحقَّ منه إن شاء اللّه. لا يَدَعُ قومٌ الجِهادَ في سبيل اللّه إلا خَذَلَهم اللَّهُ بالذُلِّ ولا تَشِيعُ الفاحشةُ في قومٍ إِلا عَمَّهم اللَّهُ بِالبلاءِ. أَطِيعُوني ما أَطَعْتُ اللَّهَ ورسولَه فإِذا عَصَيْت اللَّهَ ورسولَه فلا طاعةَ لي عليكم. قُومُوا إلى صلاتكم يَرْحَمْكُمُ اللّه.

سيرة ابن هشام : 4/240، عيون الأخبار لابن قتيبة : 2/ 234

Source

• 12 Responses for "Abu Bakr’s (ra) Inaugural Speech"

1. Anon January 19th, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I don’t know if this is deliberate to post Abu Bakr”s (RA) speech to coincide with the current US president’s speech BUT I do not think that there is a comparison. Not even an ounce. Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) is the best person after the prophets and messengers.
      Thank you though for posting it just for historical purposes and to learn more about the companions.

2. iMuslim January 19th, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Just how much would your jaw drop if Barack Hussein Obama was to quote from Abu Bakr, radiallahu ‘anhu, in his inaugural speech tomorrow?

I think mine would dislocate entirely. 😀

3. MR January 20th, 2009 at 10:40 am

@Anon – This is deliberate. The reason is many Muslims will be listening to Obama’s speech while many may not have heard or read of Abu Bakr’s (ra). This is why I posted it. We should learn our history and remember it. I thought it was appropriate since today is the inaugural day.

4. Amad January 20th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

nice!

5. farooq January 20th, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Barack Obama is not our savior as Muslims, He is a Kafir to the fullest extent and has no interest in the hereafter as us Muslims see it. He is going to most likely be good for America, which may or may not be good for Muslims. Either way is intention is not to help us. I say where is a Salahudeen Ayubi, Where is an Abu Bakr, Where is an Omar AlFarooq, Where is one that can lead us out that is afraid of no one but Allah.

6. MR January 20th, 2009 at 2:28 pm

@farooq – Why are you looking in America for the Salahudeen Ayubi, the Abu Bakr, the Omar AlFarooq? How can you say Obama will not help Muslims but only Americans? Bro, I’m a Muslim and I’m an American. So if he helps Americans, he will help the 6 million Muslims in America.

7. AS January 20th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Abu Bakr’s (radiya Llahu anhu) humility is amazing. Something leaders now a days truly lack.

8. XF-S January 20th, 2009 at 11:41 pm

comment deleting aint cool.

I like Abu Bakr RA little talk since he skipped the fluff.

9. MR January 21st, 2009 at 12:21 am

@XF-S – Haha. You corrected a grammar mistake. So I corrected it. No need for the comment there to confuse people. 😀

10. Farooq January 21st, 2009 at 1:49 am

@MR Obama’s goal is to help america if that helps the Muslims including myself to be better off. What I meant is that he does not have the Islamic Goal.

Many Muslims around the world seem to think that he is like a Mahdi or something. A local scholar here in Minnesota whose name is Waleed Idrees Meneese gave a lecture on this subjuect at Masjid Dar Al Farooq

I am not too good at expressing myself so maybe you wanna listen to him. And thanks for your patience

11. Doa January 21st, 2009 at 3:55 am

JazakAllah khair!

12. Doa January 21st, 2009 at 4:01 am

Question:

between these 2 lines:

“And the strong amongst you is weak to me I will – Allah willing – realise the right from him fully. When obscene things spread among any nation, calamities generally continued to descend upon them. ”

Doesn’t the arabic say something about calling to jihad fisabilillah?