Who are the Disbelievers? by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

Click here to read the entire 31-page article. (PDF)

Update: this is from the 2008 Spring Edition of Zaytuna’s “Seasons” Journal (paid, not free). It was only recently released for free this week and is currently on Zaytuna’s homepage.

• 11 Responses for "Who are the Disbelievers? by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf"

1. Phil April 28th, 2009 at 3:18 am

Then there is the example of when one of the sahaba (don’t remember which one) killed a person who had said the shahada but he felt that it was insincere. The prophet {pbuh} reprimanded him.

Then of course there is the obvious issue of intercession. In terms that you need a particular belief about where the power for intercession comes from, otherwise you’ve most likely left Islam.(out of ignorance)
      This should illustrate the obvious limits of judging by the outer.

2. Phil April 28th, 2009 at 3:35 am

Here is the hadith

“The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) sent us on an foray, and we made a surprise attack at dawn on al-Huruqat in the lands of Juwayna. I caught up with a man, and he said, “There is no god but Allah,” and I ran him through. I later had afterthoughts, and mentioned it to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), who said, “He said ‘There is no god but Allah,’ and you killed him?” and I replied, “O Messenger of Allah, he only said it out of fear of the weapon.” He said, “Why didn’t you split him open to see if his heart really said it or not?”—and he kept repeating this till I wished I had not become a Muslim before that day (Muslim, 1.96–97: 96. S).”

3. Mohammed Khan April 28th, 2009 at 6:01 am

Excellent article, a must read for everyone.

4. Safiya Outlines April 28th, 2009 at 9:58 am

Salaam Alaikum,

Please could you fix your post to include the fact that this article was published in the Spring 2008 edition of Zaytuna’s “Seasons” Journal.

Therefore this article has been in the public domain for almost a year prior to the recent online criticism of Shaykh Hamza Yusuf and was in no way inspired by, or in response to, the slanderous accusations.

Those involved in such slander should make tawbah and apologise as publicly and fervently as they slandered him.

5. sabiwabi April 28th, 2009 at 10:44 am

Safiya

Yes, I also find it hilarious that SOME see this as a response to the slanderous, second-rate trash that has been written about him and his institute.

To say, “Al-Hamdulillah, my ‘intention’ has paid off”! Honestly, I had to rub my eyes and pinch myself after reading that remark. And notice the words “sodomy” only appear twice in the whole 38 page article! Amazing.

My prediction: Hamza Yusuf will receive no apologies. Once you say that you are already willing to take heat on Yawm Al Qiyamah for something that so you fervently believe in….what can you really expect?

6. Phil April 28th, 2009 at 11:08 am

^ its better to say as much on the “offending” blog rather than here.

7. Safiya Outlines April 28th, 2009 at 11:58 am

Salaam Alaikum,

Phil – I’ve already done so, but the insults and slanderous comments spread beyond that website, hence my request to MR.

8. MR April 28th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

@Safiya Outlines – This was released to the public domain for free this week. It was featured in the Spring 2008 journal “Seasons” which people have to purchase.

9. sabiwabi April 28th, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Phil

Go back and read the threads in question. Many have tried. All have failed.

10. Phil April 28th, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Yeah i have read the posts in question, and yes i consider the “allegations” out of line. I think one of the reasons all have failed is because if the criticisms come from sincerity than they will not apologize and if they come from insincerity they will also not apologize.

Safiya Outlines- Ok my bad, wasn’t aware of that.

PS. I just love how even the article wasn’t enough for some people.

11. miloservic May 5th, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I just shared it with some friends, I don’t know it is paid and only free for a week。。。

would that cause some problems?