The Future of America is less Religious – Good or Bad for Muslims?

New research shows young Americans are dramatically less likely to go to church — or to participate in any form of organized religion — than their parents and grandparents.

“It’s a huge change,” says Harvard University professor Robert Putnam, who conducted the research.

Historically, the percentage of Americans who said they had no religious affiliation (pollsters refer to this group as the “nones”) has been very small — hovering between 5 percent and 10 percent. However, Putnam says the percentage of “nones” has now skyrocketed to between 30 percent and 40 percent among younger Americans.

Putnam calls this a “stunning development.” He gave reporters a first glimpse of his data Tuesday at a conference on religion organized by the Pew Forum on Faith in Public Life.

You can read more here.

Good or Bad for Islam in America?

I say both. It’s good, because the next generations of Americans won’t care about Muslims as much as the current Christian majority does. They wouldn’t make a big deal if a woman is wearing hijab or a brother rocking a thoub. Plus, Atheists and Agnostics are more prone to be anti-War and pro-Peace.

Unfortunately it can be bad because society will decay with loose morals. Homosexuality will become a norm (if it isn’t already) and young Muslims growing up in the future will find it extremely hard to keep their iman strong. May Allah protect them and us all.

Some could say that this is much better for Islam for dawah purposes since most people will have no belief system inherited so it’ll be easy to spread the message of Truth. This could be true but it could work the opposite way too.

For the most part Atheists/Agnostics are more friendlier to the Muslims than Christians and Jews when it comes to American foreign policy which matters the most to the majority of the Muslims in this world.

• 15 Responses for "The Future of America is less Religious – Good or Bad for Muslims?"

1. Atif May 6th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

“most people will have no belief system inherited so it’ll be easy to spread the message of Truth”

I disagree; they’ll have the belief system of Agnosticism inherited, indoctrinated with the belief that there is no one truth. This will make it harder to spread the message of Truth as they will believe there are multiple truths.

alHamdulillah I’m optimistic about muslims because we have more resources available to us for learning the deen (as well more value given to it) than the previous generation.

2. hey der May 6th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I disagree. It will make it harder.

They (athiests/agnostics) will make it harder for the next generation for Muslims. Right now, they’re hell-bent on destroying Christianity, which is the dominant organized religion in America. Once Muslims (or any other religion, for that matter) becomes dominant, they will shift their turret accordingly.

3. David May 6th, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Most athiests/agnostics don’t like when religious people mouth off and publically announce that they’re living the proper life, but are otherwise ok with what people choose to believe in.

Also, how many years are we talking about? I see that most of the religious Christians are adults and I am sure most of them have children. Many states are full of these families. And I am confident that more children will in fact turn out to be less religious, I can’t imagine it happening THAT soon, only because I expect a decent enough number of children to remain loyal to their families culture/religion just as you all expect yours.

4. papeete May 6th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

**** all you people and go back to ur country……you dont bring us any good stuff..go back home please

5. Usman Akhtar May 6th, 2009 at 9:26 pm

MR, don’t delete the above comment, transparency is exactly what we need to let fools like these harm their own intellectual status.

As for the blog post, I think that it might be a good thing, the younger generation are more humble in saying that when it comes to religion they just don’t know, and that they have “no” religion. That’s a little more objective than some of the right-wing Christian population who inevitably think everyone else is wrong – no room for discussion.

I’m a little worried though about those youth buying into the oversimplifying arguments of people like Bill Maher.

The main thing to get out of this blog post is we need to step-up in our dawah big time.

6. MR May 6th, 2009 at 10:26 pm

@Usman – I usually rarely delete comments. Just censor.

7. Carrie May 7th, 2009 at 2:32 am

@papeete

What race are you? What makes the people here unamerican? MR was born in America. I assume you were too since you are all high and mighty on your anti-nonamerican platform. Muslim doesn’t mean foriegner. I’m Native American, I am muslim. If you want me to go back to the country I belong to I suggest you take all these Anglo-Saxons out of my and my ancestors country, or you can realize that you are just as much an an immigrant as EVERYONE ELSE THAT HAS STEPPED OFF A BOAT ONTO ELLIS ISLAND!!

If you were born in America or not, if you are here now, and you love this country and you plan on living here(not just visting) by you ARE AMERICAN. You might not be caucasion, or of european descent but you are american!!! if you are the first generation or the 1000th generation you are just as american as the first settlers. That is what makes this country so great, if you move to Britian and your family is there for 20 generations they will never ever let you call yourself british! So unless you are native american be glad and thank God you live in a country that lets you feel welcome even if you don’t “belong” here either!!!!

8. papeete May 7th, 2009 at 7:30 pm

@ carie

im not american nor to i live in america,
      im russian,
      in russia we have a strict policy…..no imigrants,
      we want to be pure and not let others interfere with our purity.
      we want to keep our identity alive !!!!!!!!!!!!

9. MR May 7th, 2009 at 7:48 pm

@papeete – You do know there are millions of Muslims in Russia. Guess what they aren’t immigrants either, because like you said, Russia has a “strict” policy. They are Russian Muslims. All the Russians I have met are nothing like you. Some of them are Muslim and some of them aren’t, but they all respect Islam and Muslims.

10. AS May 7th, 2009 at 10:26 pm

One time I heard a Shaykh say that disbelievers in God have the first part of the Shahada down.. “I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship…”. So all we have to do is convince them of the next part, so they’re halfway there! I personally think converting atheists/agnostics who are truly open minded is easier. But as said by others here, unfortunately many atheists/agnostics follow their own intellect and hence have subjected their beliefs to their own whims. I also find it interesting because I think people are becoming atheists/agnostics by jumping on a bandwagon. There’s so many people at “smart” Universities who find it entertaining to poke fun at religion. It’s become almost like a cult of anti-religion and they think they’re so smart because they start talking about thinks such as, “Can God square a circle?”. Poor fools think they are cool that they can pose a question that some believers in God can’t answer properly, but little do they realize the absurdity in their logic because they logically defeat the “weaker” or “low Aqida” believers (Muslims, Christians, etc.) to feel good about themselves, as if they are intellectually superior to everyone else. What’s funny is that they think they’re so smart but they are too ignorant to even understand the basic illogical fallacies in the question of squaring a circle.

Islam is truly amazing as it can bring people from every intellectual background in this world to Islam. It can attract the smartest scientists to a layman to a homeless man on the street. Islam is not reserved for those that are intellectually superior, rather it is for all.

Another thing interesting about atheists. Do you notice that most atheists are from richer areas in the world (ie. the west?). Shaykh Hamza once made the point that the poorest of people sometimes believe the strongest in God yet many atheists are well off (ie. can survive easily) and complain about how God is unfair in the world. Why did God do this? Why did God do that? If God is blah blah blah.

God guides whom He wills.

11. AS May 8th, 2009 at 1:43 am

Good points. I guess I should have been a little bit more clear as I was mixing up some thoughts. A lot of my experience is with x-Christians that weren’t necessarily atheists. They just didn’t believe in Christianity because the answers they were looking for just weren’t there. So I’m speaking of those open minded ones who clearly saw something was missing in Christianity. I find many of them are intrigued in Islam since many of the answers they were looking for they find in Islam.

As for true atheists, yes, it is a problem as they don’t believe in God.

12. 'Abd ul-Ghaffûr May 8th, 2009 at 5:47 am

“Plus the Quran establishes that the People of the Book are closer to us than the Mushrikeen are – to the extent that the Mushrikeen aren’t even given the option to live under Muslims and pay Jizya, while the People of the Book get this great benefit. And yes, Atheists/Agnostics don’t worship idols, but since they are not Ahl Kitab they’re Mushrikeen […]”

I am not sure which “mushrikeen” you are referring to, but buddhists, hinduists, and so forth have historically and fiqh wise been accepted to live under Muslim rule. I remember a Maliki shaykh relating the Maliki opinion that, based on the above, even atheists and agnostics would be able to live under the Muslims.

13. Sakina May 8th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Empires rise and fall. Islam remains.

14. Carrie May 8th, 2009 at 3:17 pm

@sakina

Good point! Amin!

15. David May 8th, 2009 at 10:31 pm

There are different types of Christians. Even different types of Atheists. Some you can talk to and some you can’t. I hate how entire groups are stereotyped for being the same. Even religious scripture claiming “they are not arrogant”. I know I’m not supposed to take it literally, but still hate the way it sounds.