Cats

What are your thoughts on cats? Do you have any? Do you like them? Are they hard to take care of? Are they fun to have? Are they high-maintenance? Does anyone have allergies but still have a cat?

What is the Islamic ruling on cats? Is it permissible or not? Please share any hadith on cats.

Please also share your personal cat stories.

JazakAllah khair.

• 34 Responses for "Cats"

1. ahmad May 8th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Cats are not nijis, according to scholars:

Cats can be nice, it just depends on what species of cat. I would suggest browsing a cat-enthusiast website to determine which cat suits you.
      Some cats are quiet and enjoy sitting around, some cats are very active and love going outside to hunt, so not all cats are the same.

Cats are much more easier to take care of than dogs (and are cleaner).

I don’t personally own a cat, nor do I plan on to, but this is my experience from others who own cats.
      I’m more into fish =]

2. AS May 8th, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Are you thinking of getting a cat!?

Ask my dad about his memories with cats….. you’ll get an interesting perspective of his pet that he once had. Seriously call him and ask him.. lol.

3. David May 8th, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Cats are great. If Islam does not allow cats in your life, then I suggest you convert to something else. 😉

4. Have a baby May 8th, 2009 at 10:45 pm

have a baby bro….

5. MR May 8th, 2009 at 11:03 pm

@Have a baby – When Allah wills 😀

6. Sista May 8th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I’m dissecting a cat in anatomy…not that that’s any help.
      but i like cats, they’re rather tame animals…especially Siamese cats. they can be very funny at times too. :)

7. Koorosh Vahabi May 9th, 2009 at 12:44 am

As with all animals, make sure you take great care of them.

Because of the fact they cant speak to humans, we have a special responsibility towards them should we choose to take them as pets.

I have a friend who got 3 kittens and loved them alot.

But once they grew up and lost their “cuteness”, he didn’t love them as much or care for them as much.

And btw….despite what is practised nowadays….it is haram to neuter a cat or any other animal.

This is a ruling from a scholar btw….I found it on http://www.islam-qa.com

The reason it is haram to neuter them is because we are removing from them something that was given to them by Allah for purpose of pleasure and reproduction.

See here:

And Allah knows best.

Salam

Koorosh

8. Koorosh Vahabi May 9th, 2009 at 12:47 am

And another thing:

For alot of people, getting a pet can cause a shift in the home/lifestyle.

Why dont you try a temporary adoption of a cat to see how it suits you.

Do a 2 week test run.

salam

9. tr May 9th, 2009 at 1:11 am

remember to get it neutered/sprayed.

10. tr May 9th, 2009 at 1:13 am

i meant spayed*

11. farooq May 9th, 2009 at 1:23 am

I am allergic to cats and cant stand them because of that. They are also really boring. I would much rather have a rabbit or a chinchilla those are really cool pets

12. shirien May 9th, 2009 at 1:29 am

I LOVE my kitty!!!

Wallahi no one knows until they actually have one, the amount you’re capable of loving it and it loving you.

She’s sleeping right next to me as I write this. :) They each have personalities, the cutest are the fluffy ones like mine mashaAllah :) fun but cute even when they grow up.

13. maynduk May 9th, 2009 at 2:58 am

Cat’s in Islamic culture

Also there are some stories that the Prophet (SAW) had a cat named Muizza, but i don’t know how authentic it is or if it belonged to Abu Hurayra (RA).

Cats are very cute animals, but it’s hard to travel if you have to leave them. Maybe a baby is not such a bad idea.

14. . May 9th, 2009 at 3:33 am

Im not sure if this is old tradition, but from what I’ve heard, they can cause female infertility. But i don’t know if this is scientifically based.

15. Humzah May 9th, 2009 at 4:58 am

Asalaam Alaikum,

Cats are pure and clean,

do not forget if a cat, drinks from water it does not render it unpure for wudu

I love cats, you should get an Abyssinian cat. As Maynduk stated the cat that many referred to as belonging to the Prophet of Allah, may Allah shower him with Blessings, and bless our eyes with His presence, was known as Muizza/Muezza it was an Abyssinian cat.

The collections have it, that the Prophet of Allah, may peace and blessings be upon Him, was getting ready to leave for Jum’a prayer. The Prophet of Allah had laid out a white (some riwayas have different colours mentioned) cloak to wear. When the Beloved, may peace and Blessings be upon Him, came to put on the cloak they noticed that a cat was sleep in the sleeve, so they cut the sleeve so not to disturb the feline. Upon return the cat awoke a prostrated to the Prophet, may peace and blessings be upon Him, and the Beloved, may Allah shower him with Blessings stroked the cat 3 times.

Fi Emaan Allah wa Rusilihi Sullulahu Alayhewasalam

16. nadia May 9th, 2009 at 5:37 am

I can only think of Abu Hurairah when you asked about cats. They’re clean and I heard you can potty-trained them so they don’t mess up your house… especially your favourite couch.

So, good luck in potty training your cat (if you finally decided to get one)! 😛

17. Belal May 9th, 2009 at 5:54 am

Assalamu’alaykum

I don’t know what its like in the USA but here in Australia cats pose a major problem to native wildlife, and also I keep turtles and I have to go out of my way to make sure that they don’t get eaten by my neighbour’s cats on my property. If you do get a cat please make sure you address those kinds of issues.

18. Mohammed Khan May 9th, 2009 at 6:24 am

I have a cat, he’s a great companion, if you get one while it’s a kitten, and look after it and cherish it properly it will always be kind and nice to you.

Most of the Hadiths regarding cats have already been mentioned.

There is the one about the Prophet (SAWS) seeing a woman in hell and being punished for not letting it out of its cage.

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 1.6

Water left in a pot after a cat has drunk from it

Such water is also considered pure. This is proven by the hadith of Kabshah bint Ka’b who, when she was under the care of Abu Qatadah, entered the room to pour some water for him. A cat came, drank some of the water, and Abu Qatadah proceeded to tilt the container so the cat could drink more. Kabshah said, “He noticed that I was watching him.” He asked, “Are you surprised, O niece?” I answered, “Yes.” He said, “The Messenger of Allah (saws) peace, said, ‘It (the cat) is not impure. They intermingle with you.”‘

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 76 Narrated by Aisha, Ummul Mu’minin

Dawud ibn Salih ibn Dinar at-Tammar quoted his mother as saying that someone sent her with some pudding (harisah) to Aisha who was offering prayer. She (Aisha) made a sign to me to place it down. A cat came and ate some of it, and when Aisha finished her prayer, she ate from the place where the cat had eaten. She stated: ‘The Messenger of Allah (saws) said: “The cat is not unclean (or impure): it is one of those who go round among you.” She added: “I saw the Messenger of Allah (saws) performing ablution from the water left over by the cat.”’

I have also heard the Prophet (SAWS) used to give a cat water to drink, then he would drink from it himself, then he would make wudu with it. But I don’t have a source for this.

I have also heard about the story of Muezza (I’m the one who wrote the wikipedia article!) but I don’t know the source for that either.

Hope that helps.

19. Mohammed Khan May 9th, 2009 at 6:25 am

O another thing:

There’s a hadith in Abu Dawud that says paying for a cat is not permitted, but I don’t know if it’s Sahih or Da’if.

Allah hu’Alim.

20. Nihal Khan May 9th, 2009 at 9:26 am

Make sure you don’t have leather furniture….

21. Arslan May 9th, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that you’re thinking about getting a cat?

22. Amatullah May 9th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Don’t get a cat if you have allergies. (self explanatory I guess)

I used to have a kitten, Rocky, back in the day. but my younger brothers (who were like 4-6) had no idea of the concept of it being a living creature so they basically tortured the poor thing thinking it was a toy! My mom said she didn’t want to be held accountable on the Day of Judgment so she gave it away.

I also got scratched badly by a cat a few years ago, had to go to the hospital for that one.

Cats are nice :) I’d get a kitten instead of an older cat so the kitten can grow with you.

23. Hamza 21 May 9th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I hate cats!!! Cats remind of alot of chickenheads I used to know. They only come around when they want something from you and when they don’t…..they don’t come around. Just like a cat.

24. UmmSqueakster May 9th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Assalamu Alaikum,

Cats, my favorite subject! I have allergies, but I still have a kitty. I vaccum a few times a week, brush her often, take claritin and keep her out of the bedroom. Totally works for me.

There are millions of kitties out there looking for a good home. If you’re not sure if you’d like a cat or not, I suggest going to a local shelter and either playing with several different cats for awhile or volunteering to see how you react. If you’re allergic, this way you can also find a cat that doesn’t set off your allergies too badly.

For a first time cat owner, I’d recommend getting a shelter cat who’s a few years old. Kittens have a ton of energy and can be a real handful. A slightly older cat already has their personality developed, so you can find one that fits you. We adopted our Squeaky from the humane society 5 months ago. She’s 4 years old, loves to meow and is the fat and fuzzy love of my life. Even my husband (whom I now call AbuSqueakster), who was not too terribly fond of her in the beginning, is now completely smitten with her.

25. Stranger May 9th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Everyone has already said what I was going to say, so I have a question instead. What do you think about having a cat if there is a baby in the house? I guess if it’s a kitten and has grown up with you, it may be a little more gentle around the baby than if it was a full grown cat with a developed personality when you bought it, but I’m not sure.

26. Sakina May 9th, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I like cats and have one. Abu Huraira who was a friend of the Prophet’s (pbuh) had cats. Cats pretty much regulate thier eating, meaning if you put a whole bunch of food out for them it could last for days, they won’t gobble it up in one session like fish or dogs do.

27. Ebad May 9th, 2009 at 10:41 pm

There’s a particular Cat that I like :)

28. Scott May 9th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

There are a few things you should know about cats. Luckily, the internet is there for you (as my cat jumps in my lap):

Simon has some very informative (and short) documentaries on his cat, which may be helpful for you:

But bear in mind that cats can affect your ability to succeed in life in any academic endeavor, as shown by this graph:

Remember, dogs see people as gods. Cat see people as furniture.

29. :) May 9th, 2009 at 11:31 pm

get a penguin!

how can u say no to that?

30. ReggaePoweredDC2 May 10th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Years ago in Guyana, my Grandmother had a monkey. Get one. The stories we hear about her monkey are hilarious.

31. Don't like cats May 11th, 2009 at 11:59 am

No Cats for you, you have allergies. They are expensive, you have to buy cat food, take them to the veterinarian when they get sick. and they are just nasty…they leave their hair all over the place. If you were living in a tropical country, then you could have one, cos they live outside, but humans should not have cats living & sleeping with them.

32. Abdullah May 11th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Cats Rule and Dogs Drool!

33. bintwadee3 May 13th, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Get a cat!!!

I had 14 up until 3 days ago. No, I am not the crazy cat lady lol. We went from 4 to 14, because 2 of them got pregnant (my mom thinks our felines are the only girls in the neighborhood). Now we have 11 and they’re being given away. They’re BEYOND adorable masha’Allaah.

Cas do not cause female infertility, its an old myth. BUT, if your wife is pregnant, do not let her change the cat litter. The chemical reaction caused by the cats urine and cat litter (which produces an ammonia-like odor) is often fatal to the unborn fetus. And they say you don’t learn anything is Psychology class =).

Otherwise, GET A KITTEN!!! They’re precious. Even a big cat. We inherited a 17 year old cat from one of the shuyookh in our area and he was the best cat ever. I miss him =(

34. Emaan May 14th, 2009 at 12:33 am

There is no ruling against cats in Islam. I have had cats; and they are funny animals. They are relatively low maintainance, quiet, and make great company. Just make sure that you can afford their medical care for shots, and wellness check-ups. And remember they can get into things just as often as a two year old child can. Lol