Situation in Pakistan

Got this in an email as a request to blog it. May Allah protect and help the oppressed. Ameen!

Pakistan and its people are at war with the Taliban. A massive full scale military operation is underway in the picturesque region of Buner, Dir, and Swat; all an hour’s drive away from Islamabad. As the Pakistan Army fights pitched battles with the Taliban guerrillas, the biggest internal displacement of people since the partition of Pakistan from India in 1947 is currently underway. In just over 12 days, more than 2.3 million innocent inhabitants of the war torn area, who had for the past two years lived under the bloody rule of the Taliban, are now fleeing their homes for safety under the cover of darkness, as bullets and mortars fly overhead and pierce through the flimsy walls of their mud houses.

It has not even been 4 years since a massive earthquake struck the same area in late 2005 that killed more than 60,000 people and displaced around 400,000. But the people of this region, ethnic Pashtun (Pathans), are a proud and self reliant people who find it below their honor and dignity to ask for charity or help. They have endured and accepted every tragedy as the will of Allah without uttering a word of complaint. These are traits shared by conflict stricken Muslims throughout the world. Just like Palestine, Afghanistan, Kashmir, Iraq, Somalia, and Sudan, amid the chaos and tragedy, Pakistan is a place that still has many positives pertaining to its people. Even in the most trying times it is inspiring to see their tenacity, a determination that perseveres and a willingness among them to believe in a brighter collective future. Though they are angry at their government and leaders, and they sometimes feel abandoned by the Muslim Ummah, but the feeling of patriotism and sacrifice resonates both in their anger and their desire to see their nation flourish.

But times like these push them to the edge where in a matter of minutes all hell breaks loose on them and they are forced to run for their lives carrying with them the few possessions they were able to clutch on to while on the run. Having a home is something one takes for granted, and it is perhaps impossible  from our remove to relate to the plight of people who have been rendered homeless in their own country. The agonies of a trader, farmer, or laborer who may now have to beg for bread cannot be fully comprehended. But Alhamdolillah we all have the opportunity and the means to mitigate their suffering. These 2.3 million internally displaced persons (IDPs) need to be provided with basic necessities such food, clothing, tents, water, and health care, and they need your help. The military, God willing, will win against the Taliban in the battle field, but this war can only be won decisively by winning over the hearts and minds of those affected by the conflict. If the refugees are not afforded a semblance of dignity, the battle for hearts and minds is as good as lost. A hungry child or teenager who has lost both parents in the fighting, may one day become a bitter adult willing to lend an ear to the voice of obscurantism and fuel an extremist ideology. Your donations and help can steer them through these testing times. It can give them back hope and a reason to live and work for peace. And it can also put back smiles on the faces of the many traumatized, shell shocked children whose young and innocent eyes have seen the brutality of the Taliban first hand.

This humanitarian crisis may also prove to be a litmus test of how willing we Muslims around the world really are in combating terrorism. We can play our role by helping those who are the first and most immediate victims of the horror unleashed by the Taliban extremists. Please donate and encourage your friends and families to do so too. You can make a difference by supporting the many organizations already there on the ground working day and night to take care of the deluge of refugees pouring in. Most notable among them are:

UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees)

Text ‘swat’ to 20222

A State Department initiative where Americans can text the word ‘swat’ to the number 20222 from their cellphones and make a $5 contribution that will help UNHCR provide tents, clothing, food, water, and medicine to the affected people.

Islamic Relief

DAWN Relief

Check out the links below to get a glimpse of the crisis.

• 12 Responses for "Situation in Pakistan"

1. Sakina Al-Amin May 30th, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Ya Rab. The murderous Taliban and Al-Qaida have caused so much pain.

2. Ikram Hadi May 30th, 2009 at 11:21 pm

I don’t trust US government charities. They caused the evil in the first place.

3. Ikram Hadi May 30th, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Oh but the UNHCR helped my family a lot in Iran after they fled Iraq in ’88.

4. Green Child May 31st, 2009 at 11:22 am

It would be interesting to see what the Jihadis think of this article. It’s easy to say that some of the groups who are fighting like the Taliban are doing Jihad, and we should follow them, but I wonder if they would feel the same way if they were the ones displaced and living without food, running with their families.

I remember watching a Pakistani movie where the Taliban were fighting the Afghani army. This newly recruited Talib was fighting in that war, and he ended up strangling one of the soldiers in the Afghan army. When the soldier died his last words were the kalimah; La ilaha illallah, Muhammadurasoolallah.

Then the Talib who just killed the afghani soldier got all shook up, and screamed in urdu “Yeh Jihad Heh?” – “Is this what jihad really is?!”.

5. Zecchetti May 31st, 2009 at 7:37 pm

How do we know that it is the Taleban that are the bad guys?? Is it because the U.S has rented the Pakistan Army for $1.5b to fight them?? After photos of rape committed by the US army against our Muslim sisters in Iraq begin to emerge, we the brainwashed ummah are ready to support their allies on another front – shameful, simply SHAMEFUL.

@GreenChild,

6. Anonymous May 31st, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Regardless of whether you support the US or not in their endeavor (as some might consider futile) in the Afghan/Pakistan region, one cannot deny the fact that the Taliban, whomever they may be, are committing atrocities against their fellow Muslims. Suicide bombings directed at innocent civilians is senseless regardless of its end goal. Have we so quickly forgot the tradition of Ali (R) who would not even kill his enemy when the latter spit into the former’s face? Have we forgotten that if we were to kill one person unjustly then it is as if we have killed all of humanity? No such acts should be tolerated. If we were to poll the majority of Pakistanis, I am 100% confident that they support the army in their mission to rid the country of this fitna. Whatever qualms you may have with the ISI, the US, or the Pakistani government do not absolve the Taliban from purging any semblance of life and liberty that these people once had.

7. Ismaeel Malik June 1st, 2009 at 4:18 am

Salaam,

Before expressing any emotion, I must thank this BROTHER (Literally, perchance) for his efforts of helping the homeless and the hungry. I loved the way he didn’t support the Dhaalim Taalibaan nor did he support the Misguided Pakistani Regime and Army. No, instead, he overlooked the political issues and went straight to the REAL problem. I think this deserves applause.

(*applause and cheers, Allahuakbar and Takbeers*)

@al-Suyuufi: “Like I said I don’t trust any sources because I see both sides’ sources as unreliable”

I know another person who has that attitude. He used to always bug me when I met him by saying, “Guess What, I got more proof that 9/11 was a conspiracy”. So basically he doesn’t believe anything. He says that all the video footage is phony and that Bush was behind 9/11 (*Laughter from the audience*)
      No seriously. One day, he told me he wants Barack Obama president. I asked, why? and he said “because he used to go to a Muslim school in Malaysia”. then I said, “Remember, we can’t trust the media?”. Then he was stumped.

So for you, Brother a;-Suyuufi, how do you know that 9/11 even happened? Did you witness it with your very own two eyes which you’re using to read this reply? Exactly. Not believing the media to a certain extent is fine, but completely rejecting every headline is like not excepting the fact that your younger bother (35 years old) is not a baby anymore.

However,

“I’m lost about whom to support or like. For now, I sit back and watch.”

Nice point, actually. THAT has to be the best comment you wrote. I’m with you, brotha!

Ma’asalaamah

8. Green Child June 1st, 2009 at 10:19 pm

“That urdu film you refer to is a well known propaganda film called “khuda ke liye”, or in English its name is “In the name of God”.”

That film is made by well-known Pakistani’s from the TV station called Geo. So calling it propaganda is a misuse of the word, and the assumption that everything that a Pakistani says negatively about the Taliban is nothing more than the product of propaganda is ridiculous.

Secondly, I’m not taking any sides here – and that’s actually my point, both sides of this war, the pakistani army, and the taliban, are both comprised of Muslims, and are both claiming to fight for the right thing. But the victims of this fight are innocent, and there are 2.3 million of them!!! I believe in jihad when it is done properly, but what kind of jihad is fought between two Muslims, and where the victims are other innocent Muslims?

The point of my comment was not to arouse anger from the Imam Anwar Awlaki crowd, my point was to get the Awlakees to consider that some people who claim themselves as those who are doing jihad for the sake of Allah, are actually causing more destruction.

And I’m with al-suyuufi on this one, i don’t know if the Taliban is good or bad, the Republicans are more organized then they are, and there are many different kinds of Taliban and the lack of organization makes it hard to distinguish between them. Sure the media attacks them, but then they’re people like Yvonne Ridley who converted to Islam because of the Taliban.

What I DO know, is that there are 2.3 million Muslims displaced, and because of who? Because of other Muslims, and there is something so unequivocally wrong with that.

and btw – i have nothing against Imam Awlaki, I listen to a lot of his lectures, and I invest a lot of time into reflecting on what he says. But when I see 2.3 million people displaced because of Muslims, some of whom claim they are practicing jihad, I start asking myself questions.

9. ignorant June 3rd, 2009 at 7:54 am

it’s a shame that this article takes side instead of simply asking for help. we’ve seen what happens when we trust good vs. evil within western discourse, mind you, most pakistani media is indeed itself western media. how many journalists do you think made it to the mountains of quetta? baluchistain? inside the villages of swath? wakeup people!

oh and i second about 80% of al-suyuufi’s comment.
      big ups brother.

khudaafuzz.

10. Not Ignorant June 3rd, 2009 at 9:56 am

I’ll have to support Ismaeel on this:

@Ignorant: What do mean by “it’s a shame that this article takes side instead of simply asking for help”. The e-mail-er didn’t take sides!?

11. Ismaeel June 8th, 2009 at 4:21 am

This article is unbias. You’ve been influenced by “Farooq” from Hawaii Day post. Thank God he’s gone…

You’re acting very picky and looking at miunute details.”Pakistan and its people are at war with the Taliban.” A simple sentence you found error in! What kind of picky pickford picker can be so Dhaalim?

Green Child, please help me on this one…

12. Green Child June 8th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

al-suyuufi, you’re digressing from the main point. So what if he’s biased?, everyone is eventually biased in some way or another.

The discussion you really want to have, is whether the Taliban are good or bad. So why don’t you guys discuss that instead.

I’m out of this one, I don’t care about the Taliban or the Pakistani Army, I’m with my brothers in Pakistan and Afghanistan, the ones displaced by this war.

In the movie, Where in the World is Osama?, the Americans asked some villagers in Afghanistan what they thought of the Taliban. The one Afghan brother replied :

“We are neither your friends, neither the friends of the Taliban. All we want is peace and prosperity.”

Those who are preventing that peace and prosperity with war and destruction are, to me, oppressors.

The sayings of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace be upon him):

“Help your brother whether he is an oppressor or an oppressed,” A man said, “O Allah’s Apostle! I will help him if he is oppressed, but if he is an oppressor, how shall I help him?” The Prophet said, “By preventing him from oppressing (others), for that is how to help him.”

Sahih Bukhari

Whether that oppressor is the Taliban, or the Pakistani Army, we need to let the people of Pakistan and Afghanistan decide, and I’m sure those 2.3 million people already have decided that. It’s up to us whether we want to listen to what they say, or cover our ears.