Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, ended his prayer sermon in tears on Friday, invoking the name of a disappeared Shiite prophet to suggest that his government was besieged by forces of evil out to destroy a legitimate Islamic government.

The opposition leader, Mir Hussein Moussavi, in criticizing the government, demanded the kind of justice promised by the Koran and exhorted his followers to take to their rooftops at night to cry out, “Allahu akbar,” or “God is great.”

It’s extremely funny and also sad that the news media in America and in general Americans are supporting the Iranian protestors and being pro-Mousavi.  Even the conseratives are on the side of the protestors.  What they all fail to realize is that Mousavi and the rest of the protesters do not like the American Government (especially it’s foriegn policy) the same way Ahmadinejad does.  They also don’t understand that both sides still want to follow Islam and want to establish their version of the “Islamic State”.

Basically America doesn’t like Ahmadinejad so they’ll support anyone who doesn’t like him.  They did this in the past with allying themselves with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan and that backfired.  I wouldn’t be surprised if some people think Obama should go in to Iran and help them out.  So far Obama hasn’t said much, which is good.  I hope he understands that America needs to stay quiet and don’t stick their nose where it doesn’t belong.

The Facebook and Twitter support is nice but I really wonder if all those young Americans know what they are supporting when they share or “tweet” it.

Source

• 9 Responses for "Americans support an “Islamic State” in Iran but not anywhere else?"

1. Debbie June 22nd, 2009 at 2:14 pm

MR, yes we know that Mousavi is no better, maybe worse, than Ahmadinejad. I believe the majority of protesters in Iran are not really followers of Mousavi. They don’t want to be forced to vote for candidates selected by the clerics, they want freedom to choose and vote for whomever they believe to be the best for them and for Iran.

I believe most of them are completely against an Islamic government, as most Americans are. I don’t care if they love America or not, but many of the young people do love America and our freedoms, music, clothing, and on and on.

What I do care about is their freedom to live, grow, be educated, dress, worship, vote, as they see fit. They will never have that under an Islamic rule.

How are you MR, haven’t heard from you lately.

Hope you and your family are well.

2. burhan June 22nd, 2009 at 2:51 pm

It’s highly debatable that a system that is based on politicking your way into being elected a grand ayatollah who is then somehow mystically conferred with divine infallibility like the Roman pope could really be honestly called “Islamic”. Maybe more like “made with natural and artificial Islamic flavorings”.

3. student June 22nd, 2009 at 3:43 pm

“I believe most of them are completely against an Islamic government…”

Debbie, thanks for sharing your beliefs. Do you have any facts to back them up?

On another note, I find it remarkably unintelligent that many Americans are outraged that Obama isn’t speaking out strongly against Ahmadinejad. How will doing so help matters at all? If anything it will weaken Mousavi and the protestors. (Kind of like if bin Laden had released a video last October condemning McCain and praising Obama. Well, probably not as bad as that, but close enough.)

Another interesting point about America supporting Islamic governments: according to Noah Feldman (look up his lectures on Youtube) the new Afghan and Iraqi constitutions are more Islamic than those of most other Muslim countries, and the clauses they contain are not far from what “Islamist” movements like the Muslim Brotherhood call for. If this is true, it is rather ironic.

4. M. Landers June 22nd, 2009 at 3:54 pm

The error of “the enemy of my enemy” logic is a history that will probably never stop repeating.

5. PakistanMD June 22nd, 2009 at 3:58 pm

To Debbie:

I think your assessment is incorrect. Consider the source that MR provides:

“The people inside Iran are not saying they want regime change. They are saying, ‘Where is my vote?”

The majority of Iranians support the Shia Islamic system of governance in place. The few secularists of Iran do not have sway in Iran. Most Iranian-Americans are secularists and that has construed American foreign policy to Iran. I agree with MR’s comments on the situation in Iran, he far more correct in his assessment.

6. MR June 22nd, 2009 at 4:52 pm

@Debbie – I’ve been good, thanks. You said:

Well I don’t think Iranians agree with you on that last part. They are fine under their “Islamic rule” although it may be under Shia law (I’m a Sunni). I think all Iranians (both sides) agree that Islamic rule must be there. It’s a matter of interpretation is what they are disagreeing on.

7. h. ahmed June 22nd, 2009 at 6:16 pm

“I believe most of them are completely against an Islamic government, as most Americans are”

if u actually read the article you would see that your statement is very ignorant.

If anything – all of the parties involved are trying their best to be appear most “Islamic” to win over the mass public – who are proud of their religion.

Regardless of how different the 2 candidates are in Iran – its great that people are taking it to the streets and demanding change. Yes it sucks that both candidates have been somewhat appointed by the clerics (im not sure about that) – but u can say the same thing about us here in the US – where our only options are those chosen out of the 2 party system – which does not reflect the view of the majority of americans who – are much more progressive than people give them credit for.

8. Debbie June 22nd, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I must agree that here in the US we have not had much choice when it comes to elections, especially president. Republicans had McCain pushed on them, Democrats had a two person battle between Obama and Clinton. Many of us wanted “none of the above”, a better choice. In many ways McCain isn’t much different than Hillary or Obama.

I have many contacts in the Middle East and specifically Iran. I can tell you the majority of them love America. They don’t want to turn Iran into a country like America, they love their own country. They do not want their candidates chosen and approved by the ayatollah, giving the people no real choices.

I have contacts in Washington, in media, in military, all who have contacts in Iran. Many of those sources have gone silent today, very concerning.

When you see the protesters holding signs, many of those are in English, asking “where is my vote”. They don’t hold those signs for Arab media, they hold them for the West, for American citizens and government.

Obama sent VP Joe Biden to Lebanon, was that “meddling”, should Biden have stayed home and kept quiet? Hezbollah lost elections. (Not saying Biden had anything to do with that necessarily, he’s a joke, but the office that he holds has influence.)

I’m also not saying this is a simple situation. I’m well aware that not all the protesters speak with one voice, have the same motives or seek the same end. Most are a proud people, pride in their religion, their country, their history, and ultimately the future of their country, like here in the US, will depend on the average man/woman on the street.

But it’s always nice to know that they have some support from friends around the world.

It would be arrogant of me to think I truly know what they think, feel, want. It would also be arrogant of me to think that America always know best. We have indeed made wrong decisions in the past, like Afghanistan, and we have paid a great price for those mistakes.

We all live and learn, and hopefully grow to do better in the future.

I’m sure the Iranians are praying for guidance just as we do.

9. David June 26th, 2009 at 9:32 pm