Spurred by a broad coalition of religious, labor and immigrant groups, the City Council overwhelmingly passed a resolution on Tuesday to add two of the most important Muslim holy days to the public schools’ holiday calendar.

Imam Talib Abdur-Rashid, a leader of the campaign to add the holidays, said that if the mayor continued to oppose the move, the results for him at the voting booth could be “catastrophic” among the city’s roughly 600,000 Muslims.

The resolution’s advocates said that since about 12 percent, or more than 100,000, of the city’s public school students are Muslim, they deserved recognition. The two holidays have already been adopted by school districts including Dearborn, Mich., and several municipalities in New Jersey.

Source

I wonder if the NYC public schools will follow the global moon sighting view or the local moon sighting view.

• 10 Responses for "New York City Public Schools may get two more holidays: Eid-ul-Adha and Eid-ul-Fitr!"

1. Mansoor July 1st, 2009 at 11:39 am

As salaam wa alaykum wa rahmatallah
      From what I’ve heard through the grapevines and one report on television, the view or standard that would be enforced when Saudi declares Eid. Inshallah, I hope this does not increase the bickering regarding the issue of when Eid is amongst the jama’a in the United States.

Masalaam

2. Abdullah July 1st, 2009 at 12:19 pm

ASA,

I’m sure they’ll use bid’ah calculations just like ISNA and Saudi does. Such a disgrace! I’m glad there are still some traditional organizations here in the USA that still hold on to the Sunnah and follow local moon sightings.

3. Saad S. July 1st, 2009 at 2:32 pm

The City Council passed the resolution, but Mayor Bloomberg said no to the Mulsim School Holidays.

Is it still a possibility to get the holidays?

4. Stranger July 1st, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Wow 12% is a big amount of kids. I hope this passes.

5. Kamal July 1st, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Is it really so hard to have your kids skip a day of public school…I know my days from kindergarten to 12th grade were all pretty useless

6. farooq July 2nd, 2009 at 1:36 am

Whats with people like Abdullah and some others that post here, just trying to divide the ummah. I have seen some comments in the past that have no benefit in them at all only harm against the Muslims.

7. Ismaeel Malik July 2nd, 2009 at 5:18 am

As-Salaamu ‘Alaykum,

Ah,l if it isn’t my old brother, Brother Farooq, from “Hawaii Day”!

Long time no type, eh? What about YOUR comments? Didn’t THEY “divide the ummah” and “harm…Muslims”? And yes, brother ‘Abdullah, please take a chill pill and let the Americans give us a break for ‘Eyd’s sake. Hey, that rhymes! Maybe people show focus more on poetry than on commiting social crimes…

8. Concerned July 2nd, 2009 at 4:11 pm

@ Abdullah: Local moon sighting is not the only opinion. Actually, the stronger opinion in the Hanafi madhab is international sighting. However, the problem is that Saudi does not “sight” the moon, therefore, a declaration from them is not based on “sight”. This is the crux of this issue. International sighting is a valid & strong opinion. HOWEVER, many people believe that when Saudi declares Ramadan/Eid, they sight the moon, this is not true (even though they claim that people saw it), it is based on their calendar, and this has been proven time & time again. This is why scholars in the West have resorted to local sighting, b/c the sighting in certain parts of the world is just not reliable.

9. farooq July 2nd, 2009 at 4:54 pm

@concerned,
      I never heard that they dont sight it in Saudi…Can you give me any proof for your claims?

10. Stranger July 2nd, 2009 at 11:02 pm

About the date that will be set, who knows what will happen about that but I’m assuming it will be set to the Saudi calculated day from before hand, since a school year’s calendar is set before the beginning of the school year. The dates for “Ramadan” (beginning of Ramadan) and Eid al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr are set in a lot of personal planner and some calendars that you can buy in a regular store, so if those dates have been determined by the companies based on Saudi or local calculations, I’m guessing those dates will be used in the public school setting as well.

Allahu A’alam, I’m sure there will be more discussion about this with regards to how to determine the setting of dates. Certainly we can expect the school calendar won’t wait until the 29th of Ramadan to declare a holiday, that’s just no feasable for any public school to do.