ISNA 2009 – Lawung – Trendy Islamic Clothing

I was walking through the bazaar and out of nowhere I saw this booth:

Then I saw some familiar faces that I haven’t seen in a while.  One of the brothers came out of nowhere and had this big smile and wide open eyes.  We greeted each other and began talking about how we haven’t seen each other in a long time.

To make a long story short, my former local masjid when I use to live in NY use to bring huffadh (those who memorize the entire Qur’an) from the a Darul Uloom school in the UK.  One Ramadan these two brothers came and I spent my entire Ramadan with them almost every night and weekend.  They came again for another Ramadan and we became good friends. Now fast foward to ISNA 2009, i came to discover they have their own successful, mashaAllah, Islamic clothing company.  Now most clothing companies that make Islamic clothing aren’t really professional like Macy’s or Sears, but these brothers were on top of their game.

The thoubs are off the hook, mashaAllah! It has been something I have been waiting for a long time. These brothers are extremely professional about their presnetation and sale even the bag it comes in was amazing. One brother told me he just wanted the bag. It was that good. I interviewed one of the brothers at the Lawung booth.

Interview with Bro Uzair of Lawung:

Alhamdulillah I have talked to the brothers and inshaAllah I am in the process of becoming an agent in America for distributing Lawung products. So if you like what you see and what to purchase some products, let me know inshaAllah. Make a comment with your email address and I’ll contact you.

• 17 Responses for "ISNA 2009 – Lawung – Trendy Islamic Clothing"

1. tr July 7th, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Nice stuff but they need to price competitively for American market. The price range that works in Europe wont necessarily work here in USA of A.

2. MR July 7th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

@tr – they sold out at ISNA. 😀

3. tr July 7th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

much props to them then.

4. Dr. Saab July 7th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I bought the black one, wish I had also bought the white one…… Very nice brothers.

5. Uncle tom July 7th, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Why are these pakis so much into dressing like arabs?

6. Ahmed July 8th, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Do you mind posting this on MM. They are censoring me:

Edit: Please stop spamming. Thanks.

7. Hamza21 July 9th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I hate their website it’s hard to navigate. I hate all Flash sites! Plus you can’t even see the clothes all you get are pictures of models with bad angles. It looks more like a fashion mag than an online clothing store.

I with Uncle Tom Dressing like Arab isn’t Islamic. Historically both Muslims and mushirks worn thoubs.

8. Holy Crackers July 11th, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I totally missed this stall at ISNA, but later on my friend and her fiance showed me their book. And masha’Allah, the thobes and abayas are very modern yet modest to an extent. They seem more fit for today’s crowd.

*ps* I think people should be more appreciative of what’s being offered to the younger Muslims in this day and age. It’s not about trying to “look” a certain way.

I can’t wait till they open up here in the US ^_^

9. Qas July 11th, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Ummm…those “pakis” might simply like thoubs and may be that’s why they want to wear it?

10. Jacko July 15th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Yo man, the thoubs are hot!! Whats with Uncle Tom man, Pakis are also muslim and it is a sunnah brother. Check Sahih Bukhari (al jubba).. If you have an issue with “pakis” wearing arabian clothing post a blog on the pakistani commisionary blog site, but gotta warn you, your heading the wrong way. Its a beutiful world man, keep it that way and dont be a hater!!!

Loving the thaubs still!!

I cant wait until they open in the US too.

11. mariam July 16th, 2009 at 7:18 pm

big up to wako Jacko, you said all right stuff, uncle tom, i am a pakistani lady, if i saw you in person, id hurt you where the sun dont shine, next time keep comments like that to yourself, seems like uve been bullied as a child.

peace out guys

12. Liaquat Ali August 19th, 2009 at 10:40 am

According to JW Thompson, the biggest advertising agency in the United States, Muslim clientele, especially the younger ones (heck 67% are younger than 40 :) ), are very brand conscious even though none of the brands talk to them.

There is a window of opportunity for Muslim entrepreneurs to service this market niche the same way Lawung is doing.

There are big immediate market gaps in all areas of consumption, especially, the 3F: Food, Fashion, and Finance.

I met Uzair at ISNA. He seems like a nice guy.

All the best to the Lawung team.

13. HumaK August 19th, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I agree with Hamza21. The website looks more like a fashion mag. It took a loooong time to load up. Another website selling Islamic/modest clothing I recently found:

14. Sabina August 28th, 2009 at 8:57 am

AlSundus is now carrying some of their products.

15. Abdul September 21st, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Just got a e-mail back from usa@lawung.com saying they now have a islamic clothing store in Queens NY carrying some Lawung products.
      Islam Fashion Inc (718) 777-2600

2522 Steinway St
      Astoria, NY 11103

16. MuslimBro October 7th, 2009 at 12:57 am

Bought one from Isna and wore it this past eid. It was very good quality but I thought it was a little expensive at 60 bucks. Went to their website and they are going for 50 pounds! Can we get a “crappy economy, dollar has no value” discount for the Americans?

17. Faisal December 6th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Salams to all,

Lawung products shall be available throughout the USA by Ramadhan 2010 inshallah. Lawung is now establsihed well into the European market and has franchise outlays for the middle east by April 2010. Please visit http://www.lawungdirect.com for purchasing of lawung products, lawung.com is advertisment and marketing purposes only hence the difficulty in navigation.

Berst Wishes,