“You Muslim people scare people when you wear that clothing”

Really messed up. This guy is needs some major help. I’m really amazed at the calmness of the sister during this scenario, mashaAllah. May Allah continue to protect her!

Full story here:

SEATTLE — Police here have arrested a man accused of threatening a local woman and her baby because of their race and religion.

The incident took place on July 1 when the 25-year-old woman and her 6-month-old baby visited the Seattle Indian Health Board at 611 12th Avenue South, according to the statement of probable cause.

Investigators said Eric Gardner reportedly made derogatory comments like
“You Muslim people scare people when you wear that clothing,” and “When I see a black woman, it makes me want to throw up.”

The alarmed mother said she asked him what was wrong, to which he responded, “I’m talking to you (expletive), Muslim people,” the document said.

When the woman said, “What I wear does not make me a bad person,” Gardner told her, “You scare people,” and cursed at her, the woman told detectives.

The woman tried to move away from the aggressive man, but he followed her. He then pulled out a sheath knife with an 8- to 10-inch blade, held it in front of her face and said, “I’m going to cut you and your baby with this knife,” the statement said.

Gardner slammed the knife on the counter, struggling to get it out of the sheath, detectives said. A staff member of the health clinic reached over and took the knife away from the suspect.

“I just heard a big slam on the counter and I looked over and it was a knife,” said employee Alissa Stewart. “My first instinct was to grab it and get it out of reach.”

Gardner then lunged over the counter, grabbed the knife out of Stewart’s hand and fled, investigators said.

Another clinic employee who had dealt with the boisterous man earlier in the day identified him as Eric Garner.

Police found Gardner walking in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood the following night. They said Gardner, who was carrying a knife, admitted he had “pulled a knife on a Muslim woman earlier in the day because he was ‘doing his part to defend America,'” according to the statement.

The threatened woman said she was scared for her and her son’s lives when a man came after her at the clinic. She said she believes she would’ve been stabbed if the employee hadn’t interfered.

“I feel scared and disappointed that he judged the Muslim people,” the woman said in a statement. “It’s not only about the judgment. He wanted to kill me and my 6-month-old son. I just want people to look at Muslims as human beings. There are a lot of good people in America. Muslims are not bad people.”

Gardner, 24, has a long criminal history with prior convictions for assault and felony harassment. He is being held at the King County Jail on $100,000 bail.

Source

• 16 Responses for "“You Muslim people scare people when you wear that clothing”"

1. Stranger July 9th, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Subhanallah that is so scary. There are some crazy people out there. May Allah protect all of the Muslims. Alhamdulillah he didn’t harm anyone. I hope he gets arrested, But even if he does he’ll still have this prejudice in him when he gets out unless Allah changes his heart inshallah.

2. M. Landers July 9th, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Let’s just pray Seattle courthouse security is a little more on the ball than in certain other locations.

3. Amatullah July 10th, 2009 at 12:15 am

SubhanAllah..May Allah protect our sisters.

I remember a few years back in my community, a revert sister was attacked in a grocery store…Some guy hurled a shopping cart at her and she was injured badly. The man was arrested and she was asked if she wanted to press charges or not. She made only one condition..the man didn’t have to go to jail or anything if he took some classes for a certain time on Islam.

Alhamdulillah he became Muslim.

4. Abs July 10th, 2009 at 3:44 am

24?! He’s just a kid!
      May God protect us all, and as for Alissa Stewart, may God give her the key to Paradise.

5. Azeem July 10th, 2009 at 9:23 am

Its true wearing all black scares people. Plus covering the face scares some as well. This guy was just nutty though.

6. Muslimah July 10th, 2009 at 9:48 am

Azeem: Who said she was covering her face or wore all black? He said when he sees a black woman he wants to throw up so most likely her face wasn’t covered. So what if he’s uncomfortable with either of those what’s wrong is he acted on it. if someone were to attack someone because they have tattoos all over their face that would be just as wrong too

7. Zookeeper July 10th, 2009 at 2:51 pm

WOAH,

If that was me, I wouldnt have been as nice as her therefore…probably would have gotten stabbed.

May Allah protect us, Ameen

8. Ayoub July 11th, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Every muslim should practice martial arts and learn how to use weapons for defense. Its sunnah to carry a weapon with you.

9. Alki Kalotis July 12th, 2009 at 6:25 pm

When I go out with my girlfriend (i.e. my friend who is a woman, not lesbian or anything like that) she says that she notices a lot of people staring at me behind my back because I wear hijab (but not niqab) and an abaya or jilbab.
      She’s told me that the women tend to look threatened, angry or disgusted; whereas the men just look curious. Hmm…maybe they don’t know what to think when all of the “meat” isn’t on “display”. And as far as the women are concerned, hey, I’m making my fashion statement by not following fashion, but my faith.
      I’m really concerned for this sister–what a frightening thing this must be for her. A simple doctor’s visit turned into a trauma! The worst that ever happened to me was that some drunk guy said, “I hate you people.” and spit in my face, and started chasing me.
      I’m a revert, so it really scared me and I ran to a local shop (this was at about 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon on a Wednesday) and called the police. They came, and were really good about taking a report, even gave me a ride home since I was shaking and really scared I’d run into this guy again.
      But a Palestinian sister who grew up in Gaza gave me some good advice. She said, “Never take criticism from others as if because you are Muslim. Allah protects those who follow him, and punishes those who are bad to his people.”
      Now I walk down the street with “la ilaha illallah” on my lips and hold my head high in my hijaab.

10. Mikadee July 12th, 2009 at 6:38 pm

It’s always troubling to hear about the attacks on muslimahs. Just another reminder to be cautious and learn inshaAllah how to defend ourselves. May Allah protect the innocent ameen

11. Khaled S. July 12th, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Sounds like he was trying to re-enact what happened in Germany a few weeks back with the Pregnant Muslim Woman.

12. Halima July 13th, 2009 at 12:32 am

How stupid? It’s pretty sad how some Americans blame their problems on Muslims, scapegoating. Like a freind said to me. How disgustingly violent and harsh? Can’t believe that happens. And seeing a black woman makes me wann throw up? Ignorant looser. Typical red neck probably…..

13. girly07@girlsandnylons July 16th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

What do you remember about it ?

14. Asif July 30th, 2009 at 2:50 am

# Khaled S. July 12th, 2009 at 7:40 pm

That was my first reaction to it. It’s a shame man, you hear about muslima’s getting killed or harassed way too much these days.

15. Saifa July 31st, 2009 at 12:41 am

@ Asif @ Khalid:

That was my first reaction too.

16. SH August 2nd, 2009 at 3:29 am

The only difference between this and what happened in Germany, was that people actually had the heart to stop him and take the knife instead of watching the woman get stabbed to death 18 times. Allahu Musta’aan. May Allah (swt) protect the muslims in this life. Ameen.