Ramadan Mubarak!

• Filed under: Ramadan
  • Date: Aug 20,2009 | 01:50 PM

Ramadan is here!

Here is the rundown on who’s starting when:

• Those starting Ramadan on Friday, August 21, 2009:
  • Those starting Ramadan on Saturday, August 22, 2009:
    • ISNA (source)
    • Europeans not following ECFR
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Sunnis in Iraq
    • Sunnis in Lebanon (source)
    • Qatar
    • Sudan
    • Jordan (source)
    • UAE (source)
    • Indonesia (source)
    • Egypt (source)
    • South Korea (source: one of my good friends who’s there right now, mashaAllah)

I am still waiting on the moon sighting results for N. America.  We all know ISNA and those who follow it use calculated methods to determine Ramadan, and they have decided it to be Sat. Aug. 22, 2009.  I don’t agree with that.  I am waiting for the moon sighting results, inshaAllah.

There are several organizations that are following the Sunnah in looking for the moon.  Here are the websites:

• 16 Responses for "Ramadan Mubarak!"

1. curious August 20th, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Where will you look for the moon sighting results?

2. sharjeel August 20th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

You can actually go to http://www.crescentwatch.org to get most up to date moon sighting results.

3. MR August 20th, 2009 at 3:23 pm

@curious – I have posted several sources of different groups in North America that look for the moon.

4. musicalchef August 20th, 2009 at 3:33 pm

The source you give for Europe takes it from ECFR, which uses calculations. Our local mosque (Prague) is saying Saturday now, but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion they’re following Saudi (but don’t know for sure). I’m not sure what to believe! :-(

Ramadan mubarak, whatever day it is!

5. Aysegul - nysdelight August 20th, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Its incredible we have the same ordeal every years. We are always a day off. When will this be resolved?

Ramadan Mubarak

6. MR August 20th, 2009 at 3:54 pm

@al-suyuufi – For some it’s either Saturday or Sunday and for others it’s Friday or Saturday. The reason for this is due to when they started Shabaan.

7. undercoversis August 20th, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Asalamalaikum.
      It seems that most of the UK will be starting on Saturday inshallah, following Saudi as usual! Regents Park Masjid, Islam Channel, Noor TV and the other muslim TV channels are declaring it to be on Saturday.
      Wa’Allahu Alim.

Ramadhan Kareem as the sacred month approaches nonetheless inshallah!

8. Omar August 20th, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Assalaamoalaikum,
      It is an obligation for Muslims to start Ramadhan or any other month for that matter on the first sighting (directly or through a witness’s information) of the moon from anywhere in the world just as it is an obligation for them to fast.
      29 Shabaan was on August 20 2009
      Ramadhan starts either Friday or Saturday

Hizb ut-Tahrir is to announce the moon sighting result Thursday August 20 2009, 9pm UK/ 4pm USA/ 11pm Medina time

9. MR August 20th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

@al-suyuufi – I follow the local moon sighting, but I am forced to stick to what the local masjids around me do. For the most part, there is always many masaajid that follow the local moon sighting opinion. With regards to which hilal committee I follow. I follow all or in other words the first one to see th moon and report it. I trust them all.

10. Ahmadi August 20th, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I dont think Ramadan could be tomorrow, i.e. it is not possible to see moon tonight, either by calculation or by eye. Hence since Sha’ban can’t be 31 days, therefore if no moon is seen tomorrow, Ramadan has to be on Saturday. I believe this is what Saudi’s are doing isnt wrong. Otherwise technicaly those who wait to see a moon tomorrow and yet again on Saturday, are already into the 31st day of shaban which doesnt exist.

11. MR August 20th, 2009 at 6:24 pm

@Ahmadi – Correct. Shaban can’t be more than 31 days, but for some tomorrow is the 29th of Shaaban.

12. Shazan August 20th, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Toronto hilal committee sold out to ISNA for the last couple moon sightings

13. AGK August 20th, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Salam Alaikum w Rahmat Allah
      Ramadan Mubarak everybody
      I am living in Ireland and it is being said by some that Ramadan will start on Friday but from what I understand from the moonsightings… it can not be so , and that the first of Ramadan is on Saturday ….. I am really confused so anyone living in Ireland help me out
      Thanx
      & Barak Allah Feekum

14. Hamza21 August 20th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

i pretty much stick whether the moon can be seen visible or not. Even if there is no eyewitness.

The moon will not be visible Thursday night but will be Friday night in North America thus making Saturday the first day of fasting.

I really don’t understand all the fuss Ramadaan begins at sight of the crescent moon and there has yet to a mistake determining when the moon will be visible by modern calculation. It’s no brainer.

I mean what do people expect that when the moon is calculated to be seen the moon won’t be there? Seriously people step into modern age. I don’t ever recall the moon not being visible when it was determined to be seen in last 18 years for Ramadaan. Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember this ever happening.

15. BostonMuslim August 21st, 2009 at 7:46 am

Just enjoy Ramadan regardless when you start – that’s the spirit. Ramadan Mubarak everyone.

16. Abdul-Batin Murid August 22nd, 2009 at 7:53 am