Barack Obama – “Ramadan Kareem”

As the new crescent moon ushers in Ramadan, the President extends his best wishes to Muslim communities in the United States and around the world.

Each Ramadan, the ninth month on the lunar calendar, Muslims fast daily from dawn to sunset for 29 or 30 days. Fasting is a tradition in many religious faiths and is meant to increase spirituality, discipline, thankfulness, and consciousness of God’s mercy. Ramadan is also a time of giving and reaching out to those less fortunate, and this summer, American Muslims have joined their fellow citizens in serving communities across the country. Over the course of the month, we will highlight the perspectives of various faiths on fasting and profile faith-based organizations making real impacts in American cities and towns.

This month is also a time of renewal and this marks the first Ramadan since the President outlined his vision for a new beginning between America and the Muslim world. As a part of that new beginning, the President emphasizes that our relationship with Muslim communities cannot be based on political and security concerns alone. True partnerships also require cooperation in all areas – particularly those that can make a positive difference in peoples’ daily lives, including education, science and technology, health, and entrepreneurship – fields in which Muslim communities have helped play a pioneering role throughout history.

The President’s message is part of an on-going dialogue with Muslim communities that began on inauguration day and has continued with his statement on Nowruz, during trips to Ankara and Cairo, and with interviews with media outlets such as Al Arabiya and Dawn TV.

As this dialogue continues and leads to concrete actions, the President extends his greetings on behalf of the American people. Ramadan Kareem.

Source

• 24 Responses for "Barack Obama – “Ramadan Kareem”"

1. Zaid Khan August 21st, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Who writes speeches for him?

2. Arif August 21st, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Gordon Brown, British PM, also published a greeting here: http://tinyurl.com/nl8h77

3. MR August 21st, 2009 at 4:22 pm

@al-suyuufi – Who cares about Bush? He is nothing now.

4. Ismaeel August 21st, 2009 at 5:16 pm

As-Salaamu ‘Alaykum,

You tell ‘em, Brother Mujahideenryder! By the Way, Ramadhaan KAreem to everyone! I just came back from Night One of Taraaweeh in Masjid Al-Haraam! It was fun. But what was up with Shaykh Juhani??

Salaam

5. zaytoon88 August 21st, 2009 at 6:07 pm

So Obama decides to kill Muslims in Afghanistan and Pakistan as well as support the killing and oppressiion of Muslims in places like Palestine and supports anti-Islamic dicatoral regimes all over the Muslim world, but we are now supposed to be impressed with his speech in Cairo and this little address? O Muslims, when will you wake up?

6. Ginny August 21st, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Assalamu alaikum and Ramadan Mubarak to all! I am wondering what we’d be saying if Obama said nothing? Gave no Ramadan greeting at all? How many of us would be burning up the blog comments going on and on about how Obama didn’t say anything about Ramadan “but (insert other religious groups here) get their holidays acknowledged so why not us?” Maybe Muslims haven’t woken up yet but unfortunately, some of us aren’t happy no matter what “the non-Muslims” do for us. If they give us a Ramadan greeting, we say we don’t like it ’cause “they’re responsible for killing Muslims”, and if Obama didn’t put out a Ramadan greeting, we’d be saying “yeah he kills Muslims and he won’t greet us on our holy occasions”. So no matter what some of us aren’t happy no matter what.

Darned if they do, darned if they don’t…

yeah, Obama’s not perfect, however, I can’t be mad at the Ramadan message either.

I just can’t. Perhaps I’m one of the few Muslims who can take the good and leave the bad, who can still be happy that my President (as I’m an American and voted for him) extended Ramadan greetings to my community, yet I can still criticize him for continuing the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. It’s not a black-or-white, either/or thing for me.

7. Qas August 21st, 2009 at 6:28 pm

“Perhaps I’m one of the few Muslims who can take the good and leave the bad”

You’re not, sis. There are many, Alhamdulilah. Not as vocal as the others, unfortunately.

8. zaytoon88 August 21st, 2009 at 6:48 pm

“I am wondering what we’d be saying if Obama said nothing? ”

I would say nothing. As a matter of fact, I would respect Obama a bit more because at least he would be killing Muslims with a small amount of forthrightness. What he is doing here is spilling the blood of Muslims with a smile on his face. It seems that his strategy has worked since some Muslims have unfortunately fallen for his act hook, line, and sinker. I say that Obama is being disingenuous with this little charade and someone replies to me by saying “some of us aren’t happy no matter what the ‘non-Muslims’ do for us.”

Subhanallah……………..

With this Ramadan message in mind, let those of us who “aren’t happy no matter what”, examine a few of Obamas policies. Here I will quote Brother Ghuraba:

————————————————————————————-
      “When the European conqueror Napoleon Bonaparte invaded Egypt as part of his quest for world domination, he told the people: “You will be told that I came to destroy your religion; do not believe it … I have more respect than the Mamelukes for your God, His Prophet, and the Koran” and many more sweet words besides.

Barack Obama’s speech in Egypt has been hailed by some as a new direction in policy towards the Muslim world. Although this appears a seemingly positive gesture towards the Muslim world, the actions of his government appear every bit as ruthless as the Bush administration. He differs only to the extent that, unlike Bush who spoke with frank hatred, he uses ‘soft power’ and personal charm to cover his intentions. Instead of the rhetoric, let us look at the facts:

On Pakistan: In his first few months in office, Obama’s administration has succeeded in creating 3 million refugees by pushing the corrupt Zardari regime to launch a war in Swat. Even before he took office he declared Pakistan the most dangerous place on earth, and said he would even bomb Islamabad if he had to. His whole policy in the region is driven by trying to secure America’s foothold in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and fighting a popular insurgency – except he has decided to sacrifice Pakistan’s soldiers instead of American ones. We have even seen evidence of dirty tricks of the sort used by the CIA in Iraq or Central America, to instil hatred and division between Muslims and Obama has continued US drone attacks in Pakistan.

On Palestine: Obama boasts he wants to see the ‘road-map’ implemented towards securing a Palestinian state. People seem positive because he seeks to challenge the Israeli politicians who oppose this. However, what people forget in this propaganda about the ‘road-map’ is that this so-called Palestinian state will be little more than a glorified prison camp, where the guards are Palestinian instead of Israeli – because if they did not keep Israel’s security to a standard it is happy with, it will simply invade again.

On supporting Israel: Obama appointed, Rahm Emanuel, the son of an Israeli Irgun terrorist, as his Chief of Staff. Emanuel has said that Obama did not need his influence to “orientate his policy toward Israel”. This is true because before he was elected, Obama said “We must preserve our total commitment to our unique defence relationship with Israel by fully funding military assistance and continuing work on the Arrow and related missile defence programs”. Moreover, he went further than any US President saying, “Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel and it must remain undivided.” His response to Israel’s massacre in Gaza was “America is committed to Israel’s security. And we will always support Israel’s right to defend itself against legitimate threats.”

On Guantanamo Bay and torture: Obama has promised to close the Guantanamo Bay prison camp, and most people had expected the military tribunals to end. However, many of the Guantanamo prisoners will remain imprisoned elsewhere, and he has decided to continue with the very controversial military tribunals. Although he has made a lot of rhetoric of the CIA being banned from using torture, he has decided not to prosecute anyone who carried out torture in the past, and he has not ruled out using evidence gained through torture in other parts of the world.

On imprisonment without trial: In May 2009 Obama went on record supporting indefinite detention without trial in the USA. He used very Bush-like language saying there are some “very dangerous people” where there is not enough evidence to convict, so they needed to be locked up.

On Supporting tyrants and criminal rulers in the Muslim world: Obama is as supportive of the tyrants and criminal rulers in the Muslim world as any of his predecessors. In his recent BBC interview he described Mubarak, the Pharaoh of Egypt, who tortures and represses his opponents saying “he’s been a stalwart ally to the US… he’s been a force for stability and good in the region”. He also praised Mubarak’s “sustained peace with Israel” which included blockading the people of Gaza from getting help and humanitarian relief.

Muslims should not be deceived by Obama’s words. The United States of America is a Capitalist state. Its institutions are geared towards maintaining America’s power around the world, even if they have to exploit others in the process; they are geared to crush any competitor to America in the world, even if it means people have to live under occupation and tyranny. So regardless of whether it is Bush, Obama or anyone else, fundamental US interests and policies will never change.

The real reason why Obama is making these gestures is to improve America’s image as it is both economically and morally bankrupt. Its economic system has been exposed as a fragile house of cards, ready to collapse at any time. Despite their promises of creating wealth to relieve poverty, they have made poverty a reality for billions. Its superior moral tone about its political system – democracy and human rights – has been exposed as nothing more than lies, as it killed, imprisoned and tortured people without limit.

What Obama is trying to do is a desperate attempt to thwart the rise of an alternative and rival in the Muslim world. The CIA predicted that by 2020 the world would see the emergence of a new Khilafah State in the Muslim world. This would be a state that would not create the terror unleashed by the United States, but a state that would end occupation and bring stability and security in the Muslim world. It is a state that would have an economic system to help end poverty and bring tranquillity to the world. It is a state that would uphold the Shariah of Allah (swt), the dignity of His Messenger (saw), and the well being of its citizens.”

—————————————————————————————

“Perhaps I’m one of the few Muslims who can take the good and leave the bad”

Yeah, I think I’ll pass…….

9. Ginny August 21st, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Assalamu alaikum, Who is Br. Ghuraba? I have never heard of him before. And where is the link/citation for the CIA predicting the “rise of a Kalipha state”? I’ve never heard of this either, and I’d think this would have been wonderful news and spread all ofver the Muslim blogsophere and twitterland. And even if they try and stop this, by force/coersion, etc., if this is indeed something that is the will of Allah, it’s going to happen no matter how much force America (or anyone else for that matter) uses.

If America is going to fall, it will do so by the will of Allah, not because someone on a blog somewhere wishes it so or predicts as much. And I’m not sure where you’re living, but if you’re in the US, and America’s so bad, and Obama’s such an awful killer, than happily give up your green card, if you have one, your passport/citizenship, if you have that too, and happily go and live wherever you think “real Islam” is being practiced. And Obama/the US military, etc., may have killed many innocent civilians, but some of us so-called Muslims don’t have any room to talk either! How many innocent people have been killed in the name of “jihad”, “defending Islam”, “establishing an Islamic state”? Until we do right by our own religion, what our own Islam teaches us, we have no room to talk about America or Obama! Makes me wonder if it was us Muslims who had the military might and the weapons like the US does, how would we use them? Would we be any better than Obama/the US military?
      To your way and to me mine, if you don’t like Obama or America (no matter what and you see no good in either), then fine. I hopefully have nothing more to say on this matter. I tend to look at things with a nuanced view, and no matter what anyone thinks, it’s still a good message, imho, heck, even Bush’s messages were good ones, even though I disliked his policies more. And just because I say that I like Obama’s Ramadan message, doesn’t mean I necessarily agree with his policies, doesn’t mean that it may not seem hypocritical, but as I said before, some of us (and not necessarily you), would have been upset and angry if Obama had said nothing. And it’s easy for people to claim otherwise when said message is being blogged and talked about all over the net.

10. MR August 21st, 2009 at 7:32 pm

This thread is pure jokes, hahaha. I love the fact that the Obama haters expect him to change or be pro-Islam. SubhanAllah. I only put my trust in Allah and that’s it. Obama is nothing more than the president of the USA. Which is nothing in the eyes of the Lord of the Worlds. I follow the one who is most loved by the Lord of the entire Universe. I don’t expect anything from Obama.

11. PakistaniMD August 21st, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Thank You Obama! Ramadaan Kareem to you to Obama and everyone else. (If we could only post on the White House Site to really express thanks…)

12. zaytoon88 August 21st, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Okay, in order to clarify some serious misconceptions I will try to answer some of your questions/points, inshallah. Please note that my intention here is to share important info, not to be in pointless internet arguments with random people (I’m sure your a nice person, though).

Ginny: “where is the link/citation for the CIA predicting the “rise of a Kalipha state”?”

Answer: http://www.mail-archive.com/kmnu2000@yahoogroups.com/msg02504.html

Ginny: “And I’m not sure where you’re living, but if you’re in the US, and America’s so bad, and Obama’s such an awful killer, than happily give up your green card, if you have one, your passport/citizenship, if you have that too, and happily go and live wherever you think “real Islam” is being practiced. ”

Answer: Interestingly enough, this is the type of argument that I hear non-Muslims use the most, specifically neo-cons. You do not have to believe in the ideology of the country that you live in order to live in it. Using that logic, Muhammad (saws) should have adopted the ideology of the Quraysh because he lived among them!! To answer your point about me going to the place with “real islam”, please read this very good short article:

Ginny: “And Obama/the US military, etc., may have killed many innocent civilians, but some of us so-called Muslims don’t have any room to talk either! How many innocent people have been killed in the name of “jihad”, “defending Islam”, “establishing an Islamic state”? ”

Answer: Well, a lot less than the Muslims killed in the name of democracy and secular liberalism, I can tell you that! The deaths of the innocents that you mentioned are certainly againts the Shariah and thus I do not condon them. But this is because Muslims have to resort to defending themselves through haram means because they do not have a State governed under the shade of a just Khilafah to defend them.

Ginny: “Until we do right by our own religion, what our own Islam teaches us, we have no room to talk about America or Obama! Makes me wonder if it was us Muslims who had the military might and the weapons like the US does, how would we use them? Would we be any better than Obama/the US military?”

Answer: Well if you look at the 1300 year history of the Khilafah, you will see that it has a pretty good track record of treating people jusltly, unlike the west which continues to colonize, plunder and pillage to this day.. Please check this essay for more details:

I’m not saying that all Westerners are somehow inherently evil. All I am saying is that when a people rule with an ideology based on kufr, the world will see oppression. But if the Ummah rules by the commands of God, justice will be supreme. This is the natural balance that the Lord of the Worlds has set.

Ginny: ” I tend to look at things with a nuanced view, and no matter what anyone thinks, it’s still a good message, imho, heck, even Bush’s messages were good ones, even though I disliked his policies more. ”

Answer: Lets look at actions, not sweet words.

Ginny: “some of us (and not necessarily you), would have been upset and angry if Obama had said nothing. And it’s easy for people to claim otherwise when said message is being blogged and talked about all over the net.”

Answer: First off all, we need to look at the reality in front of us and not keep on creating hyopethitcal scenarios such as “what if obama said nothing” or “what if muslims had military strength”. Such talk, I believe, gets us nowhere. Like I said, even if Obama said nothing, does that change the situation of the limbless Muslims in Palestine or the bleeding Muslims in Afghanistan?

Wassalam and Ramadan Mubarak

13. sufi_deviant August 21st, 2009 at 7:53 pm

So Obama is following wahdat-al-matla?

14. N Waff August 21st, 2009 at 8:52 pm

(after Obama ignored the United States National Day of Prayer)
      ==========­==========­=====
      When it comes to Obama’s faith, he’s made it clear he is his own “god”
      ==========­==========­====
      which is the position Obama made clear in his interview when he said :

* He will enter into heaven as “if I live my life as well as I can, that I will be rewarded”

* He defines sin as “Being out of alignment with my values”

* And sinning is “if I’m true to myself and my faith that that is its own reward, when I’m not true to it, it’s its own punishment.”

Obama fits the description provided by the apostle Paul in his second letter to Timothy. Paul says “men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.” Obama’s position on abortion, homosexuality and other issues (and his own mocking of the Bible), fits the description. And Pauls calls these people “evil men and impostors.”

Spurgeon wrote “It were a sad dishonour to a child of God to be the world’s favourite. It is a very ill omen to hear a wicked world clap its hands and shout ‘Well done’ to the Christian man.”

15. BostonMuslims August 21st, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Obama is da Bomb – i like this guy! Thank you for the wishes.

16. Ginny August 21st, 2009 at 9:39 pm

“to change evil with your tongue – I don’t care what Obama is or isn’t, but I hate that Muslims are seeing him as something he isn’t. And it’s costing them dearly in terms of their Hisaab in al-Akhira (regarding those who voted for him), as well as their Aqeedah namely walaa and baraa.”

Wow, so you’re saying that we could lose some reward or that Allah will punish any Muslims who voted for Obama? I’d like to know how you know this? How can you say this? Do you know something about Allah that we don’t know? And what is this “walaa and baraa” anyway? I’ve seen these terms bandied about, and from what I can tell, it has soemthing to do with loyalty to the Muslims (but maybe it’s only a certain kinda Muslim or a Muslim who holds certain kinda views), because you seem to not think well of other Muslims who hold different opinions.

As I said, the message, on the surface, is a good one, what did you expect him to do or say? As I said, it might not have been you or other Muslims, but some of us Muslims would have gotten mad if he didn’t say anything. So why get so upset? If you don’t agree with him, if you think he’s talking nice in our faces while killing innocent Muslims, that’s fine, and perhaps I can’t necessarily disagree with you on that, but saying that we’ll be punished by Allah (and how dare any human make that determination(, because we voted for Obama (or actually voted at all), or because our “walaa and baraa” according to your determination, isn’t right/good, that Allah will punsih us and that we’ll lose some of our reward with Allah, I just find that to be totally arrogant. Allah is the best one to judge in his matter, and it’s up to Allah to determine who’s going to lose their reward, not anyone on this blog, and Alhamdulillah for that!

And as far as “aqida” goes, I thought that my “aqida” dealt with belief in Allah, His books, His Angels, His Prophets, that there’s only one God but Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger (Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him), not loyalty to people who would no sooner kill you because of these very same concepts of declaring people not Muslim enough, or outright kafir, and then in that, justify killing them, and other atrocities, in the name of fighting a jihad. Doesn’t the Qur’an tell us (or is it a hadith) to speak the truth even if it’s against your own self? Where does “walaa and baraa” fit into that? Because to me you’re saying support and stand up for the Muslims (and all of the Muslims) at all costs, even if some of them are killing innocent women and children, even if some of them are throwing acid on girls and women (in the name of enjoining the right and forbidding the wrong mind you) so that women and girls will be intimidated into not getting an education, or the Muslims who make death threats against people they don’t agree with! I’m sorry but I truly believe that the truth stands clear from error, and as I said before, I don’t have a black-and-white “Muslims are good, kafir are bad” outlook, and I’m sorry if that doesn’t fit your definition of what Islam should be or what “walaa and baraa” are actually are or should be.

You stand up for people who will stand up for you, not for people who would just as soon kill you than as look at you becuase you’re not the “right kind of Muslim”.

So as I said, yeah, Obama might be doing wrong, he may be hurting the Muslims, but the next time I hear of a truck bomb going off in Iraq or Afghanistan a market, or innocent women and children being killed in Darfur, I’ll think of your “walaa and baraa”, and remind myself that it wasn’t Obama who did that, but so-called fellow Muslims, and these are not people that I could ever have “walaa and baraa” for simply because they go beyond all bounds in killing innocent people.

17. ... August 21st, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Ramadan Kareem! Let’s make the most of this month inshaAllah, and spend our time in worship.

18. Abdul-Batin Murid August 22nd, 2009 at 7:51 am

May Allah Guide him and grant him Jannah!

19. BostonMuslim August 22nd, 2009 at 8:16 am

al-suyuufi – you are hilarious – anyway it’s Ramadan and may Allah bless your heart.

I just think it’s sad you really think that in his hear Obama’s intention is to kill Muslims – which i think is a bit ridiculous. Well maybe those of us who support him are completely deluded and you, who does not support him, are the correct one who is gaining all of Allah’s rewards by opposing him. But it’s okay i will continue to live in my delusion.

20. Unknown August 22nd, 2009 at 9:10 am

The United States ignored Pakistan’s sovereignty and initiated drone attacks on independent Pakistani soil, something which constitutes an act of war. This is of course the latest in a series of drone attacks on sovereign Pakistani territory; there have been over “60 cross-border predator strikes carried out by the Afghanistan-based American drones in Pakistan between January 14th, 2006 and April 8, 2009.” Even more damning is the fact that “only 10 were able to hit their actual targets, killing 14 wanted al-Qaeda leaders,” whereas on the other hand the drones have killed “687 innocent Pakistani civilians,” giving the US predator strikes a success rate of “not more than six percent.

- From Muslimmatters.org

687 of our brothers and sisters killed so far. And yet we still fall for it every single time. May Allah guide us and protect us in this Holy month of Ramadan.

21. BostonMuslim August 23rd, 2009 at 2:29 am

so what should be done with the Taliban?

22. BostonMuslim August 23rd, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I’m pretty sure that has been tried to correct them gently. in fact even in Paskistan they had a deal with the Taliban for the Pakistani army to stay out of Swat Valley, the next moment the Taliban are on their march towards Islamabad and causing mayhem wherever they passed. I have no patience for people who throw acid in the face of young girls just because they are going to school – and that’s the least of the atrocities they are committing in the name of Sharia – if that’s Sharia then i’m sorry we have to agree to disagree.

Now i have no qualms if the Pakistan government was to tell the Americans to get out and they will deal with the problem themselves but what most people don’t realize is that all those drone attacks the Americans are doing are all done with tacit agreement with the Pakistani government.

It’s always good to romanticize about people implementing Sharia but sometimes we get blinded by the word and we don’t call a spade a spade – in this case i vehemently disagree with the Taliban’s methods and they have to be stopped

23. AC August 23rd, 2009 at 6:39 pm

@ Zaytoon88

Its great to know that there are sane people like you who see the truth for what it is, and are not infatuated or awed by Mr.Drama Obama.

@BostonMuslim
      If you rely on Fox News and CNN to give you the ‘facts’ about the Taliban, you’ll end up brainwashed as quite a few other muslims have been.

Its a pity that we muslims are ready to listen to what the media has to say about the Taliban and do not lend a ear to what the Taliban has to say.

The Taliban was not marching to Islamabad, as the Pakistani government and western media would have you believe. The warlords of Buner attacked them and they just retaliated.

The peace treaty was broken by the Pakistani army. The 2 million people did not flee Taliban ‘persecution’ , but rather fled the indiscriminate bombardment and use of force by the Pakistani army.

From the acid attacks to the bombing of the schools, western media has only fabricated and concocted lies.

Why dont you see Yvonne Ridley’s opinion about the Taliban?

24. Green Child August 24th, 2009 at 11:51 am

al-suyuufi,

there are much better things to do than to sit all day waiting to reply to endless and mindless debates and arguments on this blog. Shut down your computer, pick up a quran, and start reading it. Life is limited as is Ramadan, if you think you will be proud of yourself on the day of judgment because you spent countless hours on this blog or another blog, then maybe you should reconsider your priorities. I’m not trying to insult you, only giving you advice that would greatly benefit you. I’m giving the same advice I myself should have followed years ago.

Do not confuse activity with accomplishment.

The countless hours Muslims spend online, making mediocre writings on their blogs, commenting on those blogs, and watching youtube videos, hasn’t accomplished anything for the ummah. Don’t even reply to this message. Get off your computer and do something better.

Abu Bakr As-Siddique Radhiallahu Anhu took 8 years to learn Al-Baqarah. He memorized one ayah and sought the depth of its meaning and completely applied that meaning to his life before he went onto the next ayah. He was the greatest of all of mankind after the Prophets may peace be upon them. This ummah has lots of people who know things and who express great eloquence in their words however this ummah has very few Muslims who practice the little that they know and who express sincerity in their actions, or for that matter take any actions at all. That probably includes YOU.

Quiet your mind, and remember Allah, nothing else matters.

from a sincere brother to al-suyuufi and the many others who believe they are accomplishing something by sitting their butts on a computer all day long, exercising their fingertips. Again, do not confuse activity with accomplishment.

don’t reply to this message.