Ramadan: The Month of the Best Food of the Year!

• Filed under: Food, Ramadan
  • Date: Aug 21,2009 | 11:27 AM

Ramadan is here, and our stomachs are empty. The kitchens are working extra hours this month. Many Muslims will be cooking up a feast almost every day especially the weekends. Probably the most widespread and agreed upon un-official trademark of Ramadan is that the best food of any culture or ethnic Muslim group comes out.

This month is so blessed that even the kitchens are blessed. The food is extra tasty and fulfills our desires after a long day of fasting better than eating your favorite desert outside of Ramadan. In many Muslim countries, everything shuts down during the day but at night, everything is alive, and all the restaurants are packed and dinner tables at homes are full to the max.

This is probably the greatest fitna that effects almost every single Muslim no matter where they live. This is not what Ramadan is for and it is not the way of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Many of us have heard lectures probably every Ramadan about this issue, but I haven’t heard much solutions. So based on my experience of the past Ramadans, I have come up with some ways I do to change my feasting to moderate eating.

Breaking the Fast:

Water or milk and dates. Seriously that’s it. Don’t go after the palorie, samosa, sambosa, channa, etc.

After Maghrib

There are two options:

1. Iftar with family/friends or at the Masjid – Delay the main course and eat 3-4 samosa/sambosa/palorie/dates/etc. Once many people are eating you go get your food. Fill half your plate up only (if it’s a normal sized plate). If it’s slightly smaller than normal than fill it 3/4.
  2. If with just immediate family, use a smaller size plate to put your food on. If you don’t have smaller plates (or they are way too small) fill your normal sized plate with only half of it full.

After Tarweeh Snack (Optional):

This is optional and recommended for those who have high metabolism. I do not because in general I’m pretty skinny so I need to keep my weight stable. I usually have cereal, but if can also have a sandwich or 3-5 samosas/sambosas. If it’s the big samosa, then 1 is enough.

Sahur:

Cereal is pretty much what I eat, since that is what I eat normally for breakfast. Honey Bunches of Oats is highly recommended.

What are some of your ways to eat moderately but still enjoy the good stuff?

• 12 Responses for "Ramadan: The Month of the Best Food of the Year!"

1. Waleed August 21st, 2009 at 11:44 am

good tips

seriously? you don’t get hungry just eating cereal?

2. MR August 21st, 2009 at 12:07 pm

@Waleed – Not really.

3. Anon August 21st, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I heard eating oatmeal is better

4. PakistaniMD August 21st, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I don’t know how you feel content w/ just Cereal in the morning (though Honey Bunches of Oats are good). I eat a simple egg sandwich to keep me going through-out the day.

5. Mohammed Khan August 21st, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I just eat the way I always do, I just cut one of the meals out :-)

6. Sista August 21st, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Honey Bunches of Oats FTW! =D

7. Usman August 21st, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I used to love Honey Bunches of Oats until I read that it’s actually filled with lots of sugar and is really not that healthy for you. Oatmeal with some nuts and flaxseed would be best and I would suggest SMOOTHIES! Just freeze your strawberries and stick them in a blender with apple juice and a couple of bananas and you have a perfect smoothie!!

8. Abdul-Batin Murid August 22nd, 2009 at 7:57 am

Anothony Robbin says: “If you want to eat more, then eat less so you can live longer to eat more”

He also says “To avoid destructive things happening to your stomach, eat one type of one food at one time, it’s when you mix different food types is when energy is drained and chemical reactions cause a mess internally”

Great stuff. There’s a lot of research around food on eating less, fresh and only when your hungry is when food is beneficial.

9. Sincerity August 22nd, 2009 at 12:36 pm

^^ that was beautiful

I had two slices of wholewheat bread with two eggs and a cup of tea..had to force it down my throat as Im so not used to eating breakfast.

Dinner will be soup/salad…then Maghrib salah…then after 2 sets of taraweeh, ill have another small snack like yogurt, granola bar, or fruits inshaAllah (not trying to lose weight, just trying to be more active Ibadah wise after Iftar inshaAllah)

10. AS August 22nd, 2009 at 9:27 pm

mmmm honey bunches of oats.. shoot that made me hungry :(

11. southern_princess365 August 24th, 2009 at 12:34 am

I actaully had been seeing a nutritionist at my gym during the summer and with Ramadan approaching her tips on how to stay well fueled and eat healthy was to have a high protein suhoor with a small serving of carbs like whole wheat pita or 2 slices of whole wheat bread. Her main recommendation was to do like peanut butter, low fat cottage cheese, hummus, eggs, lentil soup that kinda stuff with 1 cup of milk and plenty of water. Apparently typical breakfast foods like cereal, waffles etc burn really quickly and anything high in sugar gives you that post surgar rush crash thing which isnt fun when your fasting. She said 2 dates with a handful of nuts or 1/2 a cup of mixed fruits is a great iftaar meal. Also, unfortunately she said all those special ramadan desserts like knaffa and katayef etc that are so high in sugar are def not good cuz our body just stores them as backup kinda like “hibernation” mode, probably should limit dessert to 2 or 3 times a week. Sorry for the long post but I just shared with all of you the basic points of what I payed good money to be told, lol, so hopefully it’s useful :)

12. Ilyas Patel August 31st, 2009 at 8:10 am

For Suhur all i have is porride,banana,toast,water..
      i am very active,so im quite skinny,which people ignorantly presume i don’t eat..

the important lesson in fasting is to feel the hunger..
      i also think when your fasting you tend to think quicker..