When the power goes out, only one place stays calm – The Masjid

Alhamdulillah! I am back from my first taraweeh. What an amazing night. One of the local Muslim communities near my home, the Islamic Society of Washington Area (ISWA), opened up to the public after months of construction for the first night of taraweeh this Ramadan. I usually go to other masajid, but this time I said I’d go to ISWA as much as possible since by distance it is the closest masjid to me. (There is also Muslim Community Center not to far, but ISWA is still closer).

Anyways, during one of the rak’ah of taraweeh, the power went out and the emergency lights came on. During this whole 1 second power outage, the hafidh continued to recite the exact same way without any pause. No one moved or reacted. Everyone stayed the same. Throughout the completion of the salah, it continued on as normal with one brother relaying the takbir so those who couldn’t hear the imam could know when to continue to the next position of the prayer.

Some may say, so what. This is something really trivial. But to me personally, such a small incident like this shows the true obedience to Allah and really proves the meaning of Allah hu Akbar (God is Greater). It didn’t matter that the power was out and that the AC was off, all that mattered was that worshiping Allah continued. I can’t think of any other place where if the power goes out and there is a black out, everyone will stay calm and continue to do what they are doing. This can only happen in the house of Allah.

SubhanAllah!

Of course when the two raka’t were done, the issue was resolved.

• 8 Responses for "When the power goes out, only one place stays calm – The Masjid"

1. Ginny August 22nd, 2009 at 6:27 am

Assalamu alaikum, Mashallah and Allahu Akbar! I’m sure that would have been a beautiful/wondrous thing to see.

Ramadan Mubarak to you and your family and to all of my fellow readers here.

2. iMuslim August 22nd, 2009 at 11:49 am

Ramadan Mubarak. :)

3. hasan August 22nd, 2009 at 12:22 pm

You think that’s bad? lol our Masjid didn’t have power yesterday from Maghrib onwards. The whole Taraweeh was powerless.

It reminded me of last year when Hurricane Ike hit Houston. No power for 1 week, but alhamdolillah we all managed and enjoyed the Taraweeh.

4. PakistaniMD August 22nd, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Interesting views about that experience. Isn’t ISWA is still under construction?

5. MR August 22nd, 2009 at 4:34 pm

@PakistaniMD – Yeah it is, but we can now pray inside, alhamdulillah.

6. AS August 22nd, 2009 at 9:30 pm

SubhanAllah! Great observation. Very true, I can’t think of any other place that would be so calm and can continue to do what they’re doing.

May Allah increase you to see Him and the beauty of this religion in everything that you do.

7. southern_princess365 August 23rd, 2009 at 1:58 am

yeah I was going to say the same thing, it reminds me of last year when we had hurricane Gustav hit on the first day of Ramadan. Subhanallah fasting took on a whole new meaning when ur surviving it without electricity which means no AC, hot food, etc. It was rough to say the least, I think I would’ve gave a limb for a simple cup of coffee those days. There was no power anywhere in the city for days, you had to stand in line for hours to be allowed to enter any of the grocery stores or to get gas (they were running on backup power mostly so supplies were ridiculously scant). Anyways, once the citywide curfew was pushed from sunset till 10 PM, our masjid started holding salatul-taraweeh in the parking lot in the middle of the pitch black dark hot night, the only trace of light for miles around us would be the headlights of a car beaming on the first few lines of men in order to prevent an incoming car from running over the jama’a subhanallah. That was def an amazing experience and certainly a lesson in dedication and patience.

8. Arslan August 29th, 2009 at 12:02 pm

This reminds me of a story of one of the early generations, where someone was so into their prayer that when the house around them caught on fire, they didn’t even react and continued praying. After he was done praying, the man was asked why he didn’t move, and responded by saying he didn’t even notice the fire. :)