Islamophobia at Stony Brook University

This is really shocking. I went to Stony Brook University and I absolutely loved the community there. I had never experienced any type of bigotry or hate crime there. It’s really sad that these guys had to print the cartoon and spread it around campus. What would they accomplish by this? I hope and pray that Stony Brook campus police catch those involved.

Go Seawolves!

• 25 Responses for "Islamophobia at Stony Brook University"

1. um October 3rd, 2009 at 12:05 am

“he took down the poster and he called me immediately!” … someone needs to calm down jut a little. if you ask me, the jewish girl in the first video was the most composed. i like her

2. Sajed October 3rd, 2009 at 12:10 am

Its great that Ch 7 posted this!

I loved my four years at Stony and I’m glad everyone got along for the most part.

3. Mika October 3rd, 2009 at 12:11 am

I am a Christian… and so disgusted by this story, how can someone do that? Its horrible. Also, I use to attend Stonybrook. The whole thing sickens me. I hope they find the person… and they should be prosecuted. I posted the story on my blog. http://malitomemphis.blogspot.com
      Thanks for letting me comment. ~Mika

4. Dave October 3rd, 2009 at 12:31 am

Wow… i’m still a student at Stony but didn’t hear about this until reading this blog. I know there are all sorts of bigots at every campus and honestly I’m surprised incidents like this don’t happen more. Or does it happen other times without News cameras? It’s so easy for some loser to post some crap without even making an effort to spread it around, but fortunately, most won’t even do that.

5. Dave October 3rd, 2009 at 12:40 am

“Omar Shareef, president of the Muslim Association, says dozens of hate-filled flyers began to emerge in busy areas all over the university. They included anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic and anti-Christian images.”

Woww.. i haven’t been paying attention to the fliers lately. I remember seeing tons of eccentric Pro-Christian fliers saying something like “Jesus is God!!!!” and something about being saved or not. That pissed off all the agnostics too. Everyone is getting spat on at Stony! : /

6. Sulayman F October 3rd, 2009 at 1:09 am

I feel for you bro, this same thing happened at NYU some time ago, same cartoons, same disgusting hatred.

7. Zookeeper October 3rd, 2009 at 1:38 am

some people just insist on being stupid.

8. Talib October 3rd, 2009 at 1:59 am

Omar Shareef needs to calm down a bit, and get himself composed. May Allah help him become a great MSA prez!

9. Dave October 3rd, 2009 at 2:00 am

A Seawolf

10. Dave October 3rd, 2009 at 2:12 am

Those fish are non-kosher haaram sedentary bottom dwellers. The mascot looks like a Wolf. wtf Why can’t it just be the USS Seawolf submarine loll

11. Ikram Kurdi October 3rd, 2009 at 11:56 am

I smell Zionists.

12. MW_M October 3rd, 2009 at 6:08 pm

them anti-semitic Zionists!

13. Ikram Kurdi October 3rd, 2009 at 8:42 pm

@MW_M Bashing Jews is an old Zionist trick. What is important to them is that they plant the seeds of hatred between people.

14. umar October 3rd, 2009 at 11:30 pm

LOL, the problem with the ummah today, instead of commenting on the actual post – you point out the faults of the brother. haha.. wow no wonder we’re where we are in this world.

15. Dave October 4th, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Yeah, except how there were cartoons targeting just about everyone. Not just Muhammad.

16. argh October 4th, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Ikram Goldman. You think you smell something? Go cut your nose off, okay?

17. Abdullah October 5th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

So, what exactly is a “seawolf”?

18. Dave October 5th, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I’m only 80% sure what a seawolf is, myself. loll

19. Frank October 5th, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I don’t see this as such a bad thing. The vast majority of colleges are nothing but liberal/multicultural indoctrination centers. Most college students, atleast while I was in college are usually scared stiff to offend any of the ‘untouchable’ groups. During my last year and a half in college is when I became to lose my belief in the ideals of liberalism, humanism, and multiculty though, so there is hope for some of these students. They just having to be willing to realize everything they’ve learned and been indoctrinated with is a load of excretment.

Don’t forget this a “free speech” issue too, one of the few good things left in the country. I don’t want things to end up like they did in Europe and Canada, or even religious theocracies where one can’t deny the holocaust or question a “prophet!”

20. Dave October 5th, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Scared stiff and offending anonymously.

21. Frank October 6th, 2009 at 12:20 am

It takes more balls then going with the flow and being a humanist clown.

22. Dave October 7th, 2009 at 7:45 am

Ok I’ll try posting some of that garbage first chance I get. Good call Frankie.

23. Frank October 7th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Dave this is a free speech issue. We could adopt blasphemy laws like they have in Pakistan. We can allow foaming out the mouth mobs to break into peoples homes rape and rob them because they said something bad about Muhammad or Allah. Nah, forget that, lets keep the laws we have that opens everything up to critique. The prisons are already full, we don’t need to fill them up with blasphmers and holocaust deniers.

24. anonymous October 10th, 2009 at 2:59 am

omar is a really cool, nice, smart, an amazing msa president. wow to all those who hate.

25. Dave October 11th, 2009 at 1:54 am