Why you should recite Ayat-ul-Kursi every night

• Filed under: Hadith, Islam
  • Date: Oct 15,2009 | 05:54 PM

I always wondered why my parents always told me when I was young, “Before you sleep say ayat-ul-kursi.” Now I know why. (Ayat-ul-kursi is ayah 255 of al-Baqarah [Chapter 2 which is called The Cow])

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle deputed me to keep Sadaqat (al-Fitr) of Ramadan. A comer came and started taking handfuls of the foodstuff (of the Sadaqa) (stealthily). I took hold of him and said, “By Allah, I will take you to Allah’s Apostle .” He said, “I am needy and have many dependents, and I am in great need.” I released him, and in the morning Allah’s Apostle asked me, “What did your prisoner do yesterday?” I said, “O Allah’s Apostle! The person complained of being needy and of having many dependents, so, I pitied him and let him go.” Allah’s Apostle said, “Indeed, he told you a lie and he will be coming again.” I believed that he would show up again as Allah’s Apostle had told me that he would return. So, I waited for him watchfully. When he (showed up and) started stealing handfuls of foodstuff, I caught hold of him again and said, “I will definitely take you to Allah’s Apostle. He said, “Leave me, for I am very needy and have many dependents. I promise I will not come back again.” I pitied him and let him go. In the morning Allah’s Apostle asked me, “What did your prisoner do.” I replied, “O Allah’s Apostle! He complained of his great need and of too many dependents, so I took pity on him and set him free.” Allah’s Apostle said, “Verily, he told you a lie and he will return.” I waited for him attentively for the third time, and when he (came and) started stealing handfuls of the foodstuff, I caught hold of him and said, “I will surely take you to Allah’s Apostle as it is the third time you promise not to return, yet you break your promise and come.” He said, “(Forgive me and) I will teach you some words with which Allah will benefit you.” I asked, “What are they?” He replied, “Whenever you go to bed, recite “Ayat-al-Kursi”– ‘Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-l-Haiy-ul Qaiyum’ till you finish the whole verse. (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no satan will come near you till morning. ” So, I released him. In the morning, Allah’s Apostle asked, “What did your prisoner do yesterday?” I replied, “He claimed that he would teach me some words by which Allah will benefit me, so I let him go.” Allah’s Apostle asked, “What are they?” I replied, “He said to me, ‘Whenever you go to bed, recite Ayat-al-Kursi from the beginning to the end —- Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-lHaiy-ul-Qaiyum—-.’ He further said to me, ‘(If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no satan will come near you till morning.’ (Abu Huraira or another sub-narrator) added that they (the companions) were very keen to do good deeds. The Prophet said, “He really spoke the truth, although he is an absolute liar. Do you know whom you were talking to, these three nights, O Abu Huraira?” Abu Huraira said, “No.” He said, “It was Satan.” ( Sahih Bukhari – Book #38, Hadith #505t)

May Allah protect us from the Shaytan. Ameen!

Listen

Translation

God – There is nothing worthy of worship except Him. the Ever Living, The Eternal One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Throne extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.

• 11 Responses for "Why you should recite Ayat-ul-Kursi every night"

1. Asif October 15th, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Yeah I heard and read that Hadith a while back and had been reading Ayat Al Kursi ever since. I remember learning Ayat Al Kursi when I think I was like 9 or 10 in Sunday school, didn’t realize it’s impact at all at that time.

2. DoFollowBlog October 15th, 2009 at 8:18 pm

By Allah I ask this question only seeking knowledge and not to plant doubt.

Does anyone know how to reconcile this hadith with the other hadith that state the Shayateen are locked up during Ramadan?

This story took place during Ramadan when the devils are supposed to be locked up. I’ve always wondered how then was this devil able to walk around during this time.

Did this take place on the night before Eid ul Fitr? Or was this an allegory not to a real devil (i.e. Jinn, a being created from smokeless fire) but to a human devil?

If any learned person knows the answer, please inform us Inshallah.

3. Lessirey October 16th, 2009 at 12:09 am

i’ve made a recitation/translation video to help memorise Ayatul-kursi.

4. bilal October 16th, 2009 at 1:33 am

i find it so uncanny that the shaytan taught us this… how many people recite this surah at night. I wonder what the wisdom behind it is?

5. Abu Dani October 16th, 2009 at 5:13 am

DoFollowBlog,

The ulama’s have different opinions on this.

The first opinion is that the syaitan is indeed being chained up but that is referring to the biggest syaitan, the leader, who is IBLIS.

The second opinion is that all syaitan are locked and what is left is the syaitan inside of us, better known as nafs (if we misuse it of course).

so maybe in the above said hadith, the first opinion is more relevent, just maybe.

Allahualam. (Allah knows best)

6. Muslim Girl October 16th, 2009 at 7:51 am

Yeah, ever since I read that hadith I always read it before going to sleep.

Another time I read it is after every fardh prayer; there’s another hadith that says if you read it after every fardh prayer then when you die and your soul is taken out of you, it will be taken out how a hair is taken out of flour (i.e. easily / painlessly)

I don’t have the hadith with me right now but when I find it shall post it, iA.

7. Muslim Girl October 16th, 2009 at 8:00 am

Okay I’m sorry I cannot find the actual hadith so please disregard what I said if it is wrong.

8. Muslim October 16th, 2009 at 10:35 am

You are sort of right, there is a hadith about reciting after each prayer, and whosoever does this, there will be nothing between them and paradise save for death.

“It was narrated that Abu Umaamah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever recites Aayat al-Kursiy immediately after each prescribed prayer, there will be nothing standing between him and his entering Paradise except death.” This is how it was narrated by al-Nasaa’i in al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah, from al-Hasan ibn Bishr. It was also narrated by Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh from Muhammad ibn Humayr, who is al-Homsi, and is also one of the men of al-Bukhaari. The isnaad meets the conditions of al-Bukhaari.”

9. Mohammed Khan October 17th, 2009 at 4:01 am

Jazak’Allah for sharing. Ever since I started reciting it before bed I hardly suffer from bad dreams. The ultimate cure for nightmares and all that might afflict us during the night.

There’s loads of other hadiths on the benefits of Aytul Kursi as well as quotes from Sahaba as well. Well worth Googling.

10. bilal October 17th, 2009 at 7:00 am

side note: apperantly Ibn Kathir thinks that the hadith of entering paradise after reciting the surah has a weak narration chain.

1) The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said that whomsoever, after the obligatory prayer, recites Ayat al-Kursi, Allah Most High will protect him until the next prayer. The Prophets, the Truthful Ones and the Martyrs, were steadfast upon its recitation. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said that whomsoever recites Ayat al-Kursi after each prayer, will enter Paradise straight away after death. This hadith has been narrated by Imam Nisa’i, Imam Tabarani, Imam Ibn Sunni, Hafiz al-Haythami and Imam al-Bayhaqi.

[Tafseer Tibiyan al-Quran: Tafseer Ayat al-Kursi. Allamah Ghulam Rasul Sa’idi]

2) Hafiz Ibn Kathir writes, in his commentary on Ayat al-Kursi that the chain of transmission of the above hadith is weak. Ibn al-Jawzi has said that this hadith has been fabricated.

[Tafsir Ibn Kathir: Under Ayat al-Kursi. Hafiz Ibn Kathir]

3) Although the chain of transmission may be weak, surely other, strong hadiths have informed of the excellence and benefits of Ayat al-Kursi. If the above mentioned hadith of the recitation of Ayat al-Kursi after obligatory prayer, being rewarded by one being admitted into heaven without questioning, is fabricated, there is no doubt that Allah Most High will reward greatly, the one who recites Ayat al-Kursi after the obligatory prayer. And Allah Most High knows best.

11. El Musafir October 19th, 2009 at 12:17 am

Assalaamu ‘alaykum,

I started reciting Ayat al-Kursi after every prayer back at the time when I was still struggling with my prayers (I would miss quite a lot because it was difficult for me). I never thought it would have any direct impact, except hoping that it would counter the fact that I wasn’t following the deen properly.

Except that a week later I noticed that I stopped missing prayers and found it easier to abstain from other sins. It was truly a miracle, because I never expected anything like this to happen (so no placebo effect) and because my life didn’t change at all in that time, so there was no other possibility as to what helped, except the grace of Allah swt.

I have never abandoned reciting the verse after my prayers and to this day it’s a great source of blessing for me, alhamdulillah.

So I highly encourage you to do the same. It only takes 30 seconds to recite, but the benefit of it is enormous.