My father’s favorite ayat or the ones most often repeated to me

• Filed under: Islam, Quran
  • Date: Dec 30,2009 | 02:30 AM

My father loved to repeat the following ayat to me almost every week or month. I’d thought I’d share them. Basically these ayat were his answer to almost anything happening to Islam, Muslims or the world in the news or in the masjid or in the family. Looking at the ayat now I can see how it gives the simple answer to almost any problem.

“And hold firmly to the rope of Allah (His covenant and the Qur’an) all together and do not become divided.”
Quran 3:103

“And indeed this, your nation, is one nation (in having a unified collective way of life and course of conduct), and I am your Lord, so fear Me.”
Quran 23:52

“The Believers are but a single Brotherhood. So make peace and reconciliation between contending brothers; and fear Allah that ye may receive Mercy.”
Quran 49:10

“O you who believe! Avoid suspicion as much (as possible), for suspicion in some cases is a sin, and spy not on each other, nor speak ill of each other behind their backs. Would any of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Nay, you would abhor it… But fear Allah, for Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.”
Quran 49:12

“O you who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others for it may be that the (latter) are better then the (former); nor let some women laugh at others for it may be that the (latter) are better than the (former). And don’t defame or be sarcastic to each other. And don’t call each other by (offensive) nicknames; ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness (to be used of one) after he has believed. And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.
Quran 49:11

PS – There are 2 others quotes that were also popular: “Music* is haraam. Pictures** are haraam.”

* Including all nasheeds even voice only ones, LOL.
** He never liked taking pictures.

• 7 Responses for "My father’s favorite ayat or the ones most often repeated to me"

1. Chris December 30th, 2009 at 6:09 am

Good you shared them! They are very useful, though there are more strong ayas i think. But some people dont understand how wrong it is to call people names and talk bad about them, hopefully after reading this some people will fix their actions :D

2. rosebud December 30th, 2009 at 11:46 am

Your dad will be very proud of you for posting these. I will show this to him, iA.

3. Arif December 30th, 2009 at 1:06 pm

JazaakAllahu Khayran for sharing them with us.

For the first Ayah you posted (Surah Imran, Ayah 103), I remember I learned that if you look at the whole page, that’s basically the constitution that every Muslim community should lead by (There will always be a group for and against good, and make sure to be among the latter, etc.) as explained by former PGMA Imam, Karim Abu Zaid.

4. Mohamed December 30th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُوا وَاذْكُرُوا نِعْمَةَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ إِذْ كُنْتُمْ أَعْدَاءً فَأَلَّفَ بَيْنَ قُلُوبِكُمْ فَأَصْبَحْتُمْ بِنِعْمَتِهِ إِخْوَانًا وَكُنْتُمْ عَلَى شَفَا حُفْرَةٍ مِنَ النَّارِ فَأَنْقَذَكُمْ مِنْهَا كَذَلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ آَيَاتِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَهْتَدُونَ (103)
      البقرة 3

وَإِنَّ هَذِهِ أُمَّتُكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَأَنَا رَبُّكُمْ فَاتَّقُونِ (52)
      المؤمنون 23

إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ إِخْوَةٌ فَأَصْلِحُوا بَيْنَ أَخَوَيْكُمْ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ (10)
      الحجرات 49

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا اجْتَنِبُوا كَثِيرًا مِنَ الظَّنِّ إِنَّ بَعْضَ الظَّنِّ إِثْمٌ وَلَا تَجَسَّسُوا وَلَا يَغْتَبْ بَعْضُكُمْ بَعْضًا أَيُحِبُّ أَحَدُكُمْ أَنْ يَأْكُلَ لَحْمَ أَخِيهِ مَيْتًا فَكَرِهْتُمُوهُ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ تَوَّابٌ رَحِيمٌ (12)
      الحجرات 49

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا لَا يَسْخَرْ قَومٌ مِنْ قَوْمٍ عَسَى أَنْ يَكُونُوا خَيْرًا مِنْهُمْ وَلَا نِسَاءٌ مِنْ نِسَاءٍ عَسَى أَنْ يَكُنَّ خَيْرًا مِنْهُنَّ وَلَا تَلْمِزُوا أَنْفُسَكُمْ وَلَا تَنَابَزُوا بِالْأَلْقَابِ بِئْسَ الِاسْمُ الْفُسُوقُ بَعْدَ الْإِيمَانِ وَمَنْ لَمْ يَتُبْ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ (11)
      الحجرات 49

5. Islamophobia * December 31st, 2009 at 12:19 pm

My father doesn’t allow me to take photographs.
      If photography is haram in Islam then why do people make videos, publish photos of various happenings round the world in news papers.

Ho ho ho
      A sad dump new year to all.

6. Abed February 28th, 2010 at 1:17 am

Assalaam alaikum. Thought I had you on facebook somewhere can’t seem to get in touch. You know what I mean to say.

I will try to benefit from these to the best of my ability and try to benefit others with it as well inshAllah.

7. writing service June 7th, 2010 at 5:39 am

The Believers are but a single Brotherhood. So make peace and reconciliation between contending brothers; and fear Allah that ye may receive Mercy!

That’s right, and nothing to add!