Reflection on the Death of My Father

• Filed under: Reflection
  • Date: Mar 25,2010 | 12:30 PM

Bismillah (In the name of God)

Alhamdulillah (Praise be to God)

Asalamualykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh (Peace, blessings and mercy be upon you all)

It has taken me a few weeks to return to my normal state after the loss of my father.  My family and I appreciate all the duas (prayers) and condolences offered for my father.  This is the nature of this dunya (world) that everyone has to leave some day.

My father”s main advice when asked to speak at gatherings or simply striking up conversations with others would be simple.  Dhikr (remembrance of God) is important.  Whether it’s reading the Qur’an or reciting tasbih or studying hadith, just do it.  All the time, anywhere and everywhere.  Unfortunately this is something that may sound simple but hard to do for many including myself.  With the obligations of work, school and the distractions of the dunya, many find it hard to spare time to engage in dhikr.  InshaAllah (God willing) let us all try to increase some form of dhikr in our daily lives.

May Allah forgive us all.  May Allah guide us all.  May Allah make it easy for us to remember Him.  May Allah accept our duas and grant us all jannah.  Ameen.

Ma’salaama (With peace),

MR

• 11 Responses for "Reflection on the Death of My Father"

1. loveProphet March 25th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Assalamu alaykum sidi,

It is sad to hear of your loss. May Allah Most High grant your father jannatul firdous and grant you and your family partience and a great reward, ameen

2. Zahra March 25th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

it sounds like your father was a very wise man. may Allah forgive him for any and all shortcomings, grant him a lofty place in jannatul firdows, and give you all an immense reward for your patience, ameen

i lost my own father 5 years ago. in many respects the grieving process never ends, we will always lament the loss of someone who was one of our doors to jannah, but when you look past the pain you’ll realize that righteous fathers leave you with a lot more than the agony of knowing what you and your children will miss in the future, they leave so many advices, cautions, encouragements and memories. don’t dwell on the whole aura of death, but remember that your father lived and lived well, and you are who you are because of him.

keep him in your regular du’aas as this is one of the major sources for him to continue having his darajah raised, and when times get tough, remember this ayah. it always helped me.

“As for those who believe and their offspring follow them in faith, We will unite with them their offspring and We will not deprice them any of their life’s work; every man is responsible for the deeds he shall have earned” [52:21]

3. Zahra March 25th, 2010 at 1:55 pm

*deprive

4. Bro. Ayet March 25th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Mashallah sister zahra, that is a beautiful surah.
      Brother Amir, my condolences, may Allah have mercy on your fathers’ soul and forgive his sins. I lost my father 2 years ago to cancer and it was the hardest thing ive ever had to go through. That is the test though, to realize we are guests in this dunya, and the reason why we are here is to complete our test with good grades, for the real prize in in the afterlife inshallah.
      Salam, and stay strong.

5. Sharif Aly March 25th, 2010 at 8:45 pm

AA Amir,

After I heard about the passing of your father, I started reflecting on how near death is to all of us. I pray that we all take advantage of our time in this dunya before our time is complete. I also ask Allah to forgive your father and have mercy on him. May He shower that same Mercy and Forgiveness upon us at the time of our passing.

Your brother,
      Sharif

6. mohamed March 26th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

It is sad to hear of your loss

(يا ايتها النفس المطمئنه ارجعي الي ربك راضية مرضية فادخلي في عبادي وادخلي جنتي)

( وبشر الصابرين الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالو انا لله وانا اليه راجعون)

7. Ahmed April 5th, 2010 at 3:31 am

As salaamu alaikum brother – I am sorry to hear about your father. I too, lost my father (2001), so I know what it is like. Indeed, it makes us realize how close death is to all of us.
      That’s great advice he gave, remembrance of Allah. I have read that the more we do it, there are the blessings of course, and that, when death does come near, we will find it easier to remember Allah, to say the Kalma with peace in our hearts when knowing we are about to leave this world. So, Ameen, to all your du’as. May your father be forgiven and May Allah (swt) give him a place in Jannah-al-Firdaus. Ameen. – Br. Ahmed

8. hal786 April 14th, 2010 at 8:14 am

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.
      Dear MR,
      I haven’t been on your blog in a very long time. I used to comment and come here all the time, and now that I’m back..I don’t know what to say to this post. It’s a real shock.
      In lillahi wa ina ilaihi raji’oon.
      May Allah swt bless your father and grant him paradise Inshallah, Ameen.
      I’ve made dua for him and you.
      Inshallah you will stay strong during this time of hardship. I am truly sorry for your loss.
      Your sister in Islam, Hal786.

9. Imran April 15th, 2010 at 3:38 am

Great words of advice.

10. derie April 29th, 2010 at 10:12 am

i can bileve akon is muslim or no muslin
      please how to now he is muslim
      i want the burrf okey byyyyyyyyyyyyyy

11. Sara May 6th, 2010 at 1:36 am

Assalaam Alaikum brother MR,

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajeoon.

I am extremely saddened to have heard this news. I used to visit your blog every so often in the past and had recently started to visit it again only to discover that you have decided to end blogging here. Please accept my deepest condolences upon hearing this news.

May Allah (SWT) forgive your fathers sins, and grant him the highest place in Jannah, Ameen.

Stay strong. I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been for you and your family.